What playoff outcome for the Habs would be enough to make you happy?

What playoff outcome for the Habs would be enough to make you happy?

• Total voters

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
So everyone knows Habs get to play Penguins in the play-in round. And to any regular posters here - I think it's a pretty safe statement to say that most fans here seem to prefer that we lose the play in to protect our draft position (possibly Lafreniere, if not 9th) vs winning only to be eliminated quickly thereafter. But let's go down that road in this poll. So here's the scenario:

1. If Habs beat and eliminate Penguins.

What playoff outcome is enough to make you happy?

A. Loss in round 1 - happy we at least made playoffs
B. Loss in round 2. Farther than in a long time, would be happy with that
C. ECF loss. Great run - would be happy with that
D. Finals loss - finals for the first time in 27 years, happy with that
E. Winning the Stanley Cup - Nothing less, this is what it takes to make me happy
F. Not even winning the cup would make me happy. I want to lose the play-in no matter what

Obviously - a cup would make anyone happier than a round 1 loss. But the point of the poll is - what is the minimum you'd accept to be happy with the outcome and our playoff run at the end of the playoffs?
Well really.......... The Habs did not "make the play offs" ...... they merely have been included in the the 8 teams that were ADDED to the 16 play off teams. For the summer money grab tournament.

For fans I am hoping and seeing the Pens taking them out with ease. Canadiens win lottery, fire Bergevin and I start watching them again.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well really.......... The Habs did not "make the play offs" ...... they merely have been included in the the 8 teams that were ADDED to the 16 play off teams. For the summer money grab tournament.

For fans I am hoping and seeing the Pens taking them out with ease. Canadiens win lottery, fire Bergevin and I start watching them again.

Bergevin won't be fired this off season. Maybe in the 2021 season if the Habs continue to fall and remain in the bottom 10. Bergevin has 2 years in term left and Molson would have less money to fork out with 1.25 years left at that point.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I can see an underdog factor getting milked.

“Do you realize how little faith management has in you guys?

They sold assets for futures at the TDL! Assets that could have helped you win now!

Also, Friedman reported that management was upset at being included in the Covid Transmissional!

Not to mention that all mainstream and social media are against you! They all say or infer that you don’t deserve to be here.

Do we really need Lafrenière? No we don’t!”

:sarcasm:
Yep.

I live in Leaf country.

Canadiens are getting mocked, laughed at, and ridiculed.

Not that I shouldn't expect it, I fed it to them for so long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Here's how I would rank the possible outcomes from best to worst

1 - Win the cup
2 - Lose to the Pens and win the lottery
3 - Good playoff run with young guys like Suzuki/Kotkaniemi playing important roles
4 - Lose to the Pens and fail to win the lottery
5 - Win just enough to not get a good pick but young guys like Suzuki/Kotkaniemi play well
6 - Win just enough to not get a good pick young guys play bad or are not given the chance by Julien

In terms of what I think is likely to happen it's 4, 5, 6, 2, 3, 1

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Here's how I would rank the possible outcomes from best to worst

1 - Win the cup
2 - Lose to the Pens and win the lottery
3 - Good playoff run with young guys like Suzuki/Kotkaniemi playing important roles
4 - Lose to the Pens and fail to win the lottery
5 - Win just enough to not get a good pick but young guys like Suzuki/Kotkaniemi play well
6 - Win just enough to not get a good pick young guys play bad or are not given the chance by Julien

In terms of what I think is likely to happen it's 4, 5, 6, 2, 3, 1

I respect your opinion.

Imo, this still isn't a real enough playoff like atmosphere to prefer thecyou guys getting this experience over #9 overall. #9 overall in such a deep and strong draft has a good chance being a big piece for 10 to 12 years to come, a la McDonagh or Sergachev if Timmins takes a D.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
1- win cup
2- lose in 5 vs pens, win draft lottery

All the other options are meh at best.

Worst case = deep po run riding a hot CP & COVID craziness that ends without a cup but falsely "vindicates" MB & buys him even more time to run the franchise deeper into the ground

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I respect your opinion.

Imo, this still isn't a real enough playoff like atmosphere to prefer thecyou guys getting this experience over #9 overall. #9 overall in such a deep and strong draft has a good chance being a big piece for 10 to 12 years to come, a la McDonagh or Sergachev if Timmins takes a D.

I can see your point, but I always go back to the historical averages for a pick in that range. And frankly 9th overall isn't as great as you might first expect. So yeah we could get a really important piece but the odds are we get good but not great player. And our recent draft/development history suggests we are below average at drafting/development. We hope that things have changed with the coaching changes but it's far from guaranteed.

I suspect the atmosphere will ramp up quite quickly and be back to the normal pressure cooker in no time.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
whichever one gives The Habs the best shot at Lafrenière.
Suppose the Coyotes lost in the play-in and won Alexis Lafreniere and they make a huge Herschel Walker type deal with Marc Bergevin, e.g. Lafreniere for the Habs 2020 No. 1, 2nd and 3rd Rounds, Suzuki, Petry and Primeau.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I just want to see the club put in an honest effort. If we lose, so be it. Probably better for us to lose the series anyway. But I hate seeing us get blown out.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
ECF would make losing the play in worth it to me. Obviously the Cup is the goal, but making the final 4 is great experience for the future #1/2Cs of this team. A shame Romanov couldn't take part. This would have been perfect for him. Only fear I have about a long run is that it helps Bergevin. I want him gone.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I can see your point, but I always go back to the historical averages for a pick in that range. And frankly 9th overall isn't as great as you might first expect. So yeah we could get a really important piece but the odds are we get good but not great player. And our recent draft/development history suggests we are below average at drafting/development. We hope that things have changed with the coaching changes but it's far from guaranteed.

I suspect the atmosphere will ramp up quite quickly and be back to the normal pressure cooker in no time.

Never seen such a pointless argument, considering how different draft years can be, on top of this one being recognized as a strong draft. It's the type of year a top 10 pick can really pay off.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I just want to see the club put in an honest effort. If we lose, so be it. Probably better for us to lose the series anyway. But I hate seeing us get blown out.
Yep. Even if they lose, I want them to perform well. The "fans" that want the team blown out, confidence shattered... Well that'll just perpetuate the issues with this team. That's no way to develop players. Look at how the Bruins develop guys.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Never seen such a pointless argument, considering how different draft years can be, on top of this one being recognized as a strong draft. It's the type of year a top 10 pick can really pay off.

Before virtually every draft all the experts talk strong or deep the draft is going to be, it's only years later that we really know whether it was in fact a strong draft year or not.

And even if it is a strong draft that doesn't mean much, just look at one of the deepest drafts ever 2003.
9th - Phaneuf
10th - Kostitsyn
11th - Carter
12th - Jessiman
13th - Brown

So in one of the deepest drafts of all time out of the 5 guys drafted from 9th onwards, you have one outright bust, one middle six forward/bust, a couple guys who had some very good years but on average were far from top line players, and one fringe top line player who certainly was never elite.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
1- win cup
2- lose in 5 vs pens, win draft lottery

All the other options are meh at best.

Worst case = deep po run riding a hot CP & COVID craziness that ends without a cup but falsely "vindicates" MB & buys him even more time to run the franchise deeper into the ground

I'll still be happy with:

3. lose in 4 vs the Pens, lose the Lottery, draft another LD like Sergachev or McDonagh at number 9. As in, over the moon happy.

Reactions: Miller Time

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
It's kind of ironic seing Habs fans belittling this tournament and saying it's not a real cup.

We're all real proud of our 24 cups, right?

1916: Won best 3 out of 5 agains the PCHA champions Portland Rosebuds
1919: Series tied 2-2-1 with PCHA champions Seattle Metropolitans, stopped because of flu outbreak
1923: Won 2 games to 0 against the WCHL champions Calgary Tigers
1925: Lost 3-1 to the WCHL champions Victoria Cougars

That last one is also interesting because:

The Canadiens were substitute NHL representatives, as the final series to decide the NHL champion was not played.

Meanwhile, the Canadiens also finished the NHL regular season in third place. In the NHL playoffs, Montreal went on to beat the second place Toronto St. Patricks, 5–2, in a two-game total goals series. The winner of that series was to go on and play the first place Hamilton Tigers. However, the Tigers were suspended after Hamilton players staged a strike in an attempt to receive more compensation because the league extended the regular season from 24 to 30 games. As a result, the Canadiens were declared the 1924–25 NHL champions.

So there are plenty of precendents for different series formats. If anything, this one might be the toughest ever.

Reactions: DarkSender

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'll still be happy with:

3. lose in 4 vs the Pens, lose the Lottery, draft another LD like Sergachev or McDonagh at number 9. As in, over the moon happy.

Agreed... The 1st overall is ideal, but a top-10 pick is a great way to land an elite prospect too... Falling outside the top 10 would suck

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Before virtually every draft all the experts talk strong or deep the draft is going to be, it's only years later that we really know whether it was in fact a strong draft year or not.

And even if it is a strong draft that doesn't mean much, just look at one of the deepest drafts ever 2003.
9th - Phaneuf
10th - Kostitsyn
11th - Carter
12th - Jessiman
13th - Brown

So in one of the deepest drafts of all time out of the 5 guys drafted from 9th onwards, you have one outright bust, one middle six forward/bust, a couple guys who had some very good years but on average were far from top line players, and one fringe top line player who certainly was never elite.

Yup... Drafting closer to #1 improves the odds of getting elite talent. Seems like a straight forward concept, not sure why anyone argues against that reality.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

9th - Phaneuf
10th - Kostitsyn
11th - Carter
12th - Jessiman
13th - Brown

I mean...Phaneuf was an absolute monster in his prime. I would love to draft someone at 9th like him.
Kostitsyn while not exactly the right pick, I think he could have been developed better and if it weren't for him getting concussed, he might have blossomed more.
Jeff Carter was a great pick, and there are others that came later like Richards, Getzlaf, Parise, Burns, Kesler.
We can also just look at who we last got at 9th, Sergachev, which I would also love here.

I don't care about this current little tournament, I think it's silly. Hockey is sloppy and the no fan part really takes interest away from me.
I disagree with your belief atmosphere will ramp up. Ambiance is entirely based on fan involvement. The chants, the booing, the cheering, seeing the sea of red in CGY, the YOU SUCK in Nsh, etc, on top of feeling the level of interest in the city where all the bars are showing the games, people are out and discussing the games....All of these things are mostly what makes the PO atmosphere special.

Right now, most of my friends didn't even realize the POs had started, they give zero f***s about the games, so ya I don't see things change.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I mean...Phaneuf was an absolute monster in his prime. I would love to draft someone at 9th like him.
Kostitsyn while not exactly the right pick, I think he could have been developed better and if it weren't for him getting concussed, he might have blossomed more.
Jeff Carter was a great pick, and there are others that came later like Richards, Getzlaf, Parise, Burns, Kesler.
We can also just look at who we last got at 9th, Sergachev, which I would also love here.

Phaneuf was a monster for his first 4 years in Calgary but the minute he lost his D partner Hamrlik he stopped looking like a top-pairing guy. He was a 2nd pairing guy for most of his time in Toronto, and his time in Ottawa and LA was pretty forgettable.

Now it's true that a mostly 2nd pairing guy who has a 4 year peak as a top pairing guy is solid value from that pick. But there are definite Komisarek vibes where you question how good he actually was during his peak vs how much his partner allowed him to play to his strengths and cover up his weaknesses.

Kostitsyn could have developed better, but what makes you think this future pick will have a good development with us? If anything we have a history of terrible development. Do you honestly think Sergachev would have developed the same way he did had we not traded him? You think Therrien and Julien would have worked with his defensive mistakes and let him play through them and develop or would he be scapegoated and benched by those dinosaurs?

The point isn't that you can't get a good player, having a top-10 pick is better then not having one but people tend to overrate what you get from those late top-10 picks. For example looking past 03, the next 5 years it's Smid, Lee, Sheppard, Couture, Bailey at 9th. The odds of getting a core player at 9th just aren't that great. So yeah we'll get a great prospect, it's just a great prospect isn't the same as a great player.

I don't care about this current little tournament, I think it's silly. Hockey is sloppy and the no fan part really takes interest away from me.
I disagree with your belief atmosphere will ramp up. Ambiance is entirely based on fan involvement. The chants, the booing, the cheering, seeing the sea of red in CGY, the YOU SUCK in Nsh, etc, on top of feeling the level of interest in the city where all the bars are showing the games, people are out and discussing the games....All of these things are mostly what makes the PO atmosphere special.

Right now, most of my friends didn't even realize the POs had started, they give zero f***s about the games, so ya I don't see things change.

Just to clarify I wasn't talking about the fan ambiance but the player. Yes the games right now are a bit sloppy, and that's what I think is going quickly change. It will get back to the usual NHL playoff level calibre of play fairly soon. And development wise the fans simply don't matter, Suzuki going toe to toe against Crosby in a do or die situation is great for his development regardless of whether there are fans in the seats chanting "you suck" or not. It's still a case of going up against the best in the world in pressure packed games and proving to yourself that you have the stuff to be a winner.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Phaneuf was a monster for his first 4 years in Calgary but the minute he lost his D partner Hamrlik he stopped looking like a top-pairing guy. He was a 2nd pairing guy for most of his time in Toronto, and his time in Ottawa and LA was pretty forgettable.

Now it's true that a mostly 2nd pairing guy who has a 4 year peak as a top pairing guy is solid value from that pick. But there are definite Komisarek vibes where you question how good he actually was during his peak vs how much his partner allowed him to play to his strengths and cover up his weaknesses.
I don't think Komisarek like players get drafted this early anymore. The league has changed and stay at home big physical Dmen don't really go in the top 10 anymore.
But a guy like Phaneuf, a big Dman who can throw his weight around with devastating hits, and pot in 40-50pts, even if it requires help from his partner, I'll gladly take it.
Imagine a guy like him playing next to Weber or Petry right now? Massive boost to our team in some many ways.

Kostitsyn could have developed better, but what makes you think this future pick will have a good development with us? If anything we have a history of terrible development. Do you honestly think Sergachev would have developed the same way he did had we not traded him? You think Therrien and Julien would have worked with his defensive mistakes and let him play through them and develop or would he be scapegoated and benched by those dinosaurs?
But then, if you go down that path, might as well trade all our prospects and draft picks to get already developed guys here instead.
I am always holding on to the hope Bergevin gets booted the F out relatively soon and that Bouchard/Ducharme have their say in the development.

The point isn't that you can't get a good player, having a top-10 pick is better then not having one but people tend to overrate what you get from those late top-10 picks. For example looking past 03, the next 5 years it's Smid, Lee, Sheppard, Couture, Bailey at 9th. The odds of getting a core player at 9th just aren't that great. So yeah we'll get a great prospect, it's just a great prospect isn't the same as a great player.
Right but those other years are a bit pointless because this is meant to be a deep draft. Sure, maybe it'll flop out but we're still in a rebuilding stage so I'll take that and if the 24th seed team ends up winning the cup during this tournament, the only thing this shows me is how ridiculous silly it was to pursue the season after a 4 1/2 month hiatus. It would be a farce. So give me a top 9 pick.

Just to clarify I wasn't talking about the fan ambiance but the player. Yes the games right now are a bit sloppy, and that's what I think is going quickly change. It will get back to the usual NHL playoff level calibre of play fairly soon. And development wise the fans simply don't matter, Suzuki going toe to toe against Crosby in a do or die situation is great for his development regardless of whether there are fans in the seats chanting "you suck" or not. It's still a case of going up against the best in the world in pressure packed games and proving to yourself that you have the stuff to be a winner.
I don't see this happening at all. PO calibre level? Most teams will be eliminated a month into this thing. Some teams will have been knocked off before playing more games than they usually do in preseason.
October hockey is sloppy in general, takes about the 20 game mark to get it going and that's after a normal camp and summer training, on top of a lot of practicing.
So I don't see the level ever reaching the usual level of PO.

Sure, any experience is good for the youngsters, from an individual standpoint. But they very likely will get this experience at some point anyways, I'm looking at what's best for our team moving forward and adding another talent like Sergachev or Phaneuf on D or up front would be much better for us imo.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
If you give me the chance to win the Stanley Cup vs drafting Lafreniere, I'm going for the Cup.

Last Cup was in 1993, way too long ago. If not, we should focus on building through new franchise players with talent like Lafreniere.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
KK's physical develpment has been on display since the return to play.

It was again right there.

Reactions: Omar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad