What playoff outcome for the Habs would be enough to make you happy?

What playoff outcome for the Habs would be enough to make you happy?

• Total voters

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Because Sorinth is trying to make us swallow that these play-ins are more important than a 9th pick overall. Phaneuf was among the examples given of historic 9th picks, as if being 9th is entirely deterministic, completely disregarding that draft classes can wildly vary.

With that kind of logic he espouses, we drafted a potential Erik Karlsson-level player when we picked Caufield.:sarcasm:

Completely whack
You mean these playins where we figure out what Weise and Weal have to offer? Gimme 9th (or 1st) over 16 all day every day

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Because Sorinth is trying to make us swallow that these play-ins are more important than a 9th pick overall. Phaneuf was among the examples given of historic 9th picks, as if being 9th is entirely deterministic, completely disregarding that draft classes can wildly vary.

With that kind of logic he espouses, we drafted a potential Erik Karlsson-level player when we picked Caufield.:sarcasm:

Completely whack
Or Tarasenko

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not only this, but something which is rarely mentioned: not only has the season play been reduced down to a 5 games series, these games don't really have a home game feel for any of them (only exceptions might be the hub city teams). Especially a playoff home game, the crowd can be electrifying. Yeah sure they've set the rules for home and away teams, but it's far from being the same factor it can be in normal times.
Yes agreed. The crowd plays a big part in creating rivalries as well and raising intensity.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The camera angles and the crowd sound effects are pretty good at making me forget there's no one there. The 'tells' are the penalty announcements by the refs. They sound like they're talking to a couple of buds at a bar, instead of barking at 20 thousand people who are about to boo them.

The other thing is no morons banging on the glass behind the net. Don't miss that part. :laugh:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Meh...I disagree with your assessment of Price and PK. I think they become just as good without 2010. They're not completely foreign to raising their level of play during elimination rounds, it's something they've experienced at every level before. Sure, this is obviously different as it is the highest level but I don't think it's so crucial that it will cut a player's development short and not reached the peak.
We can look at Alfredsson as an example. He became a PPG player before ever playing a PO game and it wasn't until he turned 33 where he hit career highs 3 years running, after 8 years of PO time.
So I don't think a single PO is such a determining factor in a player's development.

Ya, it's good experience, like anything else they'll experiment for the first time in the NHL but one run isn't going to change so much imo.

And this tournament is very different as well. Games are sloppy, there's a lot of bad mistakes, intensity is nowhere near what PO level is, not even remotely close. Guys live in a complete bubble, I mean, McGuire said some guys are already fed up...I don't put much validity on this year's tournament.
It's just an extra set of games for the kids, which is good but not game changing imo.
So ya, I much rather get a better prospect than an ECF run.

Maybe I wasn't clear, I think having that good playoff run when you are a young player is going to help your development immensely, but it isn's like without one you can't or won't develop. You can absolutely develop in a losing environment, just like you can develop even if the coach is incompetent, you can also develop while getting terrible advice from your trainer/team/family/girlfriend/etc...

But just because development can happen in those situation that doesn't mean those situations don't have a negative impact. It's far more important for us to maximize the development of Suzuki/Kotkaniemi then it is to add what is likely going to be a good but not great player.

Jul 6, 2016
Win or lose in 5 games after a hard fought series. Success for he youngsters Suzuki and KK.

Jul 6, 2016
The camera angles and the crowd sound effects are pretty good at making me forget there's no one there. The 'tells' are the penalty announcements by the refs. They sound like they're talking to a couple of buds at a bar, instead of barking at 20 thousand people who are about to boo them.

The other thing is no morons banging on the glass behind the net. Don't miss that part. :laugh:

When I watch Rangers games at MSG, I don't see the crowd much either. It seems only the ice surface is well lit. The rest seems in total darkness.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Completely whack

It's pretty clear you didn't understand any of my posts if you think I said that the 9th pick completely deterministic or that the play-ins are more important then a 9th overall pick. So in the future please refrain from trying to put words in my mouth.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It's pretty clear you didn't understand any of my posts if you think I said that the 9th pick completely deterministic or that the play-ins are more important then a 9th overall pick. So in the future please refrain from trying to put words in my mouth.

It's pretty clear you're sidestepping

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Maybe I wasn't clear, I think having that good playoff run when you are a young player is going to help your development immensely, but it isn's like without one you can't or won't develop. You can absolutely develop in a losing environment, just like you can develop even if the coach is incompetent, you can also develop while getting terrible advice from your trainer/team/family/girlfriend/etc...

But just because development can happen in those situation that doesn't mean those situations don't have a negative impact. It's far more important for us to maximize the development of Suzuki/Kotkaniemi then it is to add what is likely going to be a good but not great player.
I get that mate, although you did say PK and Price wouldn't have become as good without 2010, but the kids will still be very young next year. We are not discussing repeatedly missing the POs here, its just one year.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I get that mate, although you did say PK and Price wouldn't have become as good without 2010, but the kids will still be very young next year. We are not discussing repeatedly missing the POs here, its just one year.

It's going to be different with everyone but yes, for example I don't think Subban would have become as good. I think he would still likely becomes a #1 Dman, but I doubt he becomes a Norris level defenceman without that playoff run.

IdontSpitOnTheIce

Apr 27, 2012
That Claude shuffles the bottom 9 lines on offense, as we’re near being eliminated, and we get a 2nd off. line with chemistry that can bring offense consistently, the kid line.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
1st or 9th overall pick is the best option for the organization. If they get past the Pens, they damn well better win the cup, because squeezing into these playoffs we have no business being in just to lose in round 1 and pick a bust in the mid first round is worst case scenario, and with our luck, looking like the most realistic outcome now.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's going to be different with everyone but yes, for example I don't think Subban would have become as good. I think he would still likely becomes a #1 Dman, but I doubt he becomes a Norris level defenceman without that playoff run.
What are you basing this opinion on?
I think PK of all people was going to reach that level, his competitive edge and drive was always present.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
In the end, if you are unable to build a team around Price, not only you suck by not being able to do it, but you suck by keeping Price 'cause him alone is responsible for you not being able to rebuild adequately with all the games he wins by himself.

So the outcome long term for this team, you start selling kids and build a REAL team RIGHT now with Price in net, or trade Price right now.

Everything else is a waste.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
There are only heavy teams ahead if we win this series. I wouldn't mind if we dropped the next two and entered the Laf sweepstakes, but I'm enjoying watching the kids take the next step and Price return to form.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
If they win the play-ins then the Cup, anything less and I will have seen a bottom 10 team play all year to get a top 15's pick at the draft.

One game to go, and my expectations will change drastically from "lose" to "win the cup"

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
There are only heavy teams ahead if we win this series. I wouldn't mind if we dropped the next two and entered the Laf sweepstakes, but I'm enjoying watching the kids take the next step and Price return to form.
Wouldn’t classify TBay as heavy..

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
What are you basing this opinion on?
I think PK of all people was going to reach that level, his competitive edge and drive was always present.

It's based on a lot of things. In general I think environment plays a very big role in development and that's not just hockey but life in general. So right off the bat I would expect most guys to end up quite different if there were big changes in what actually happened such as who drafted them, who coached them, etc...

For PK in particular yes he always had that drive but it hasn't always been well directed. As an example of that there's always plenty of criticism around PK's summer workouts where he's working on the "wrong" things such as gaining upper body strength instead of working on speed, etc... So Drive and Passion are great but if not directed to the right things can be a problem.

I think those playoffs really helped Subban focus on the right things. If we didn't have that run I suspect Subban wouldn't have ended up as good defensively.

The confidence boost of going up against the best in the world and coming out on top also shouldn't be understated. When in the early years the coach benches/scratches you without that experience of having success against the best it increases the chances that mentally you go into a tail spin. Granted this was always going to be less of a problem for Subban then other players but I think an overlooked aspect is how much Therrien tried to change the player Subban was/is, and I suspect Subban would have been more receptive to the frankly bad advice Therrien and company were giving him. So that experience truly made him a believer in playing his game his way which is a big part of why he became as successful as he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad