What playoff outcome for the Habs would be enough to make you happy?

What playoff outcome for the Habs would be enough to make you happy?

• Total voters

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
They had a shortened season, not a 5 month break in-between the season and playoffs.

After 48 games, they had wear and tear.

Now, it's like we're essentially hosting the playoffs in mid-October.

Oh, not sure you were around, but it's crazy the number of times people have doubted Subban's Norris because it was only 48 games in 2013.

I addressed this before you posted,but look above.

Been around for a very long time!:) as for PK

upload_2020-7-24_8-55-11.jpeg

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Well - worst case scenario would be to win against Pittsburgh only to lose in round 1, or then round 2. Wouldn't at least making it to round 3 and 4 provide a lot of entertainment and be better than losing in rounds 1 or 2? If you disagree - I find that a fascinating opinion, but can kind of see where you're coming from..

If it's detrimental to building a great team in the future, then any scenario excluding a SC would bring only short-lived happiness and excitement.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I addressed this before you posted,but look above.

Been around for a very long time!:) as for PK

View attachment 355236

Because you know it's a good argument vs what you claimed about the Hawks.

Nobody will doubt if one of the really good teams will win.

If it's Montreal or Chicago, there's gonna be a lot of rumblings

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It's not, I came up with another way that was a lot more true to the results of the regular season. This was the best way they could recoup money from avid fanbases like Montreal/Chicago and nothing to do with integrity of the competition.

I'm sure many have concocted a scenario that is deemed to be more accurate for the conclusion. I can understand the NHL wanting to try to recoup some lost revenue as well though. Nothing in this world is ever going to be perfect sad to say,but it's the true.

Reactions: Runner77

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm sure many have concocted a scenario that is deemed to be more accurate for the conclusion. I can understand the NHL wanting to try to recoup some lost revenue as well though. Nothing in this world is ever going to be perfect sad to say,but it's the true.

I get the revenue aspect of it but I think there should have been more conditions in place to protect the draft pick of the teams being dragged into this because 70 games is enough data to tell us who the teams are that need help from the draft.

I don't like that a 5 game series after a 4 month absence can change all that, I would have preferred, in the NHLs scenario, that the draft order didn't change until the conference finals. That removes the fluke win by Chicago/Montreal significantly hurting their draft position simply because they were up to speed quicker than their opponents, not because they are the better team.

There is also the fact they could have given Pit and EDM a 1 game lead going into the series to balance out the clear percentages that Pit had to make it into the play-offs vs. Montreal to not make it.

Reactions: Runner77 and Oryxo

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Because you know it's a good argument vs what you claimed about the Hawks.

Nobody will doubt if one of the really good teams will win.

If it's Montreal or Chicago, there's gonna be a lot of rumblings

You might be right about that,but upsets happen all the time in sport and there always will be discord.

Not sure what you mean about PK though,my thoughts on him have been mentioned in other posts.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Many other posters have already said it. This is not the real cup to me. Its the covid cup. I'd rather a great player that could set us up for several years of success over 1 or 2 series.

Just lose and get that draft pick.

Build for the future.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I get the revenue aspect of it but I think there should have been more conditions in place to protect the draft pick of the teams being dragged into this because 70 games is enough data to tell us who the teams are that need help from the draft.

I don't like that a 5 game series after a 4 month absence can change all that, I would have preferred, in the NHLs scenario, that the draft order didn't change until the conference finals. That removes the fluke win by Chicago/Montreal significantly hurting their draft position simply because they were up to speed quicker than their opponents, not because they are the better team.

There is also the fact they could have given Pit and EDM a 1 game lead going into the series to balance out the clear percentages that Pit had to make it into the play-offs vs. Montreal to not make it.

I get where you're coming from and have no idea how they decided on the scenario that they are going with. I imagine the GM's were onboard and had to vote on the best scenario for what they perceive is the best.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I get where you're coming from and have no idea how they decided on the scenario that they are going with. I imagine the GM's were onboard and had to vote on the best scenario for what they perceive is the best.

Entirely on a revenue based business proposal. I can guarantee that.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Many other posters have already said it. This is not the real cup to me. Its the covid cup. I'd rather a great player that could set us up for several years of success over 1 or 2 series.

Just lose and get that draft pick.

Build for the future.

Yes because drafting has been a forte of the Habs in recent memory.:sarcasm:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
In order for me:
Stanley Cup win
SCF loss
Lafreniere win
ECF loss
Play-in loss
Round 2 loss
Round 1 loss

Pretty much this. I don't see why anyone would want it differently. Obviously winning the cup or making it to the final is the best. 1st overall got to be right behind that as it would help the team eventually achieving the scf goal. Then obviously a semis is always very entertaining even if as we've seen in the last 10 years it doesn't mean much. Then just being in the lottery would be exciting even if we don't win. Round 1 or round 2 losses would be meaningless. We don't even deserve to be in the 1st round so losing it would just be what the last 10 games would have been (winning some and losing some). As for losing a round 2 it is always very unappealing kind of like being friend zoned after the first date.

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The cup. This team is deeply flawed, to the point that anything less probably does more harm than good. But the cap, even with a weird format, is always the goal.

Reactions: PhysicX

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
In order of importance :

1- Stanley Cup
2- Lafrenière
3- Final
4- 9th overall pick
5- Semi-final
6- 2nd round
7- 1st round
I have a hard time with 1 and 2. The rest is fine. Having lived through so many cups, I guess I'm more excited to see a local boy hero than, yawn, another cup. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Domi a favor

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Lets give our 1909% as always, we're the Montreal Canadiens.

PS: Deadline = August 5th 2020

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018
This is a rigged poll. It's a real cup. The players won't call it a "fake" cup. It will require the same amount of wins and effort, maybe more, and the best team( cough, Blues, cough) will win it, well hopefully. Anyway it won't be us, no need to worry. :laugh:

I just want the play-in over and out, then get 1st overall, and watch some summer playoff hockey. :nod:

This. (The Bolded)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
One cold comfort of us winning is we beat the Pens. Hate the Pens. Hated them in the late 00s and early 10s when they were actually a pretty dirty team when they had Cooke. Plus Crosby always grated on me with his early career constant whining and his punchable face. That could of been overlooked had he not had one of the most classless post game interviews I'd ever seen when we beat them in the '10 playoffs. He essentially said it was all Halak which was true for the first half of the series but the last 3 games of the series we seriously outplayed them. It was such a punk move.

So I could possibly LIVE with beating Crosby. It's ultimately not worth it but I don't think I have the fortitude to not cackle maniacally at that puke if we win even in this nothing garbage tourney.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
It's not a rigged poll. The premise of the poll is "if we beat Pittsburgh....what makes you happy".

The problem is this. In the poll on top of the page, that question is not phrased like that. Only in your OP you see that clarification, which I didn't read, thinking it was the same as the top. I'm pretty sure a lot of people saw the same thing as I did.

So yeah, I guess if we somehow (God forbid) beat Pittsburgh, I would be happy with a Cup that will have forever an asterisk beside it and will give Molson more reasons to praise MB forever and he can flex his biceps even more saying "at the end of the day, told you so", and we will continue sucking for many years to come afterward.

Yeah, I would certainly be happy with that scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad