What Player(s) Will Retire playing for only one team?

mattef

consider the following...
May 12, 2014
Montreal, QC
The people saying that Duchene is a off the wall pick, clearly have no idea just how big of a Colorado/Sakic/Roy fan he was growing up.

Idolizing them would be an understatement. And the excitement/smile he had on his face when he was drafted by the Avs at #3 in 2009 says it all.

The only way he's not an Av for life, is if the Avs decide they dont want him. If it were up to Duchene, he'd for certain be an Av for the rest of his career. I highly doubt the Avs will ever move him too. He's already shown to be very willing to take pay cuts to stay here.

We understand all that, but things change fast in hockey. 5 years ago no one could imagine Iginla, Brodeur, Alfredsson or Modano play for other teams, yet they did.

Maybe at one point when Duchene is 35 and his contract is up, Avs decide to go in a rebuild and trade his for young assets. Or maybe he decides to go to a cup contending team in his final years if he never won it in Colorado.

We all understand that he really likes Colorado and deep down he wishes to be part of that team for all his career, we all have a few players like that on our team (for MTL its Subban & Price). But it's way too early to list anyone here that is not at least 30 years old.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Curious has it ever happened that someone had the C taken from them and still retired after a whole career with that one team?

George Armstrong. Played two years more after Keon got the captaincy but only ever played for the Leafs.

Gilbert Perreault. But he technically retired then came back for 20 games.

Bobby Clarke. 1979-82 he was not captain. Though that was due to him not being allowed to be as he was a coach as well.

Does Stan Mikita count? He was captain for like half a season wasn't he?

Not many I imagine.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
IMO the way he comes off he isn't a guy who bleeds his teams colours. I get he was a Habs fan growing up but he doesn't catch me as the always loyal type. He already squeezed 9 million a year out of the Habs.

Wasnt he a TML fan growing up...

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Does Stan Mikita count? He was captain for like half a season wasn't he?

Not many I imagine.

Yea Mikita was in a rotation with Magnuson and Pit Martin during the 76-77 season. Should've been captain during his entire time there but management always saw Pilote as a better leader.

After Pilote it got weird tho:

Pat Stapleton, 1969–70
Pit Martin, 1975–76
Pit Martin; Stan Mikita; Keith Magnuson, 1976–77
Keith Magnuson, 1977–79
Terry Ruskowski, 1979–82

Never fully understood why he wasn't captain from 70-onwards, especially when they didn't even have on between 1970 and 1975.

If they dished Vincent Lecavalier, they won't hold on to Stamkos either. It's even harder now that it was with Vinny.

While Vinny had some great seasons, Stamkos is better than he ever was. Plus the cap will probably be stupid high by the time Stamkos gets to his 30s.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
For sure: Sedins

Maybe: Burrows, Bieksa

Possible, but unlikely: Hansen, Lack, Edler, Tanev

That's all of our non-prospect homegrown players.

sayheykid

Jun 12, 2010
If they dished Vincent Lecavalier, they won't hold on to Stamkos either. It's even harder now that it was with Vinny.

They ditched Vinny because he was signed to a prohibitive contract and Matt Cooke ruined his career. It wasn't hard to hold on to Vinny, on the contrary it was a pain to get rid of him.

mattef

consider the following...
May 12, 2014
Montreal, QC
His dad was my elementary school principal, he was a huge Leafs fan and still is

Really? Because I recall Subban saying his dad was a Habs fan and the reason why PK himself was a Habs fan growing up. I think it was because his father Karl grew up in a francophone neighborhood.

I'm not trying to contradict you, I don't have any source, but I remember hearing that on multiple occasions.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Really? Because I recall Subban saying his dad was a Habs fan and the reason why PK himself was a Habs fan growing up. I think it was because his father Karl grew up in a francophone neighborhood.

I'm not trying to contradict you, I don't have any source, but I remember hearing that on multiple occasions.

Really bro

I remember during Malcolm's draft, PK was getting a lot of camera time and said something about his dad still being a Leafs fan even though he's a Hab

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Really bro

I remember during Malcolm's draft, PK was getting a lot of camera time and said something about his dad still being a Leafs fan even though he's a Hab

PK playing both sides of the coin

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
Really bro

PK and his dad said on HNIC they grew up as Habs fans in Toronto, a least his father did.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Does Phillips have the longest tenure with one team right now at around 1170 games or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad