Speculation: What moves are Tampa going to make?

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
Well technically they don't have to resign Sergachev, Cernak, or Cirelli, so technically they are compliant. But resigning those guys likely puts them over $10m over the cap ceiling, so something has to give.

So they have the next trade deadline and even next offseason to make decisions. An offseason that includes Seattle expansion draft and could even have a cap increase.

I don't think there's as big of a rush as people think there is.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
So they have the next trade deadline and even next offseason to make decisions. An offseason that includes Seattle expansion draft and could even have a cap increase.

Well if they want to keep Sergachev, Cirelli, or Cernak they need to resign them, and they aren't allowed to be over the cap on opening night or they won't be allowed to play.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010

I don’t think Tampa’s grand strategy is to not sign three good players and run an 18 man roster.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
They don't Have to do anything this season right?
4j2rmd.jpg

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

No, they need to be cap compliant at the start of this season. Have you looked at their cap situation?

They have $2,895,834 of projected cap space with just 18 players signed. And, they have three RFAs to sign as follows: Cirelli, Cernak and Sergachev.

Tampa Bay Lightning - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: bernmeister

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
All NHL deals are insured(I believe Nathan Horton was an exception) and all players are paid in full when on LTIR. Get yourself educated before lipping off

Edit, even more hilarious I was in a sense agreeing with what you had replied to another poster.

If a player retires they do not receive their salary, insured or not. You also have not provided evidence of such insurance.

Edit, why am i responding to a troll

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
I don’t think Tampa’s grand strategy is to not sign three good players and run an 18 man roster.

I don't think that's their plan either.

No, they need to be cap compliant at the start of this season. Have you looked at their cap situation?

They have $2,895,834 of projected cap space with just 18 players signed. And, they have three RFAs to sign as follows: Cirelli, Cernak and Sergachev.

They need to be compliant by the start of the 21-22 season....They're compliant for 20-21. Which is why my point is that they have time. Between Trade deadline, Seattle draft and next offseason they have time to move JT, Killorn etc to free up room....and nobody has ruled out a cap increase for 21-22 season yet.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

They have 12 forwards and 4 defenseman under contract so far which doesnt include Cirelli, Sergachev, or Cernak.

To be cap compliant team can bring up 2 youngsters at league minimum if need be.

The only way theyre able to sign ANY of their RFAs is if they get an insane hometown discount OR they trade Killorn who has a 16 team MNTC. And Killorns hit is still ~$4.5 x 3 and its all real cash. Most of the teams that could take that kind of cap on are likely teams Killorn would veto...so TBL are likely taking some salary back AND theyre likely not keeping all of their RFAs. Theyd be LUCKY to keep Sergachev and Cirelli

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota

They need to be compliant by the start of the 21-22 season....They're compliant for 20-21. Which is why my point is that they have time. Between Trade deadline, Seattle draft and next offseason they have time to move JT, Killorn etc to free up room....and nobody has ruled out a cap increase for 21-22 season yet.
No they don't have time and won't be compliant cause all 3 of those big name players are not under contract for the 20-21 season so unless you plan on trading all of them? then yeah you're compliant.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

So, you think they will run with a 18 player roster this season? And, what do you think the plan is for the three RFAs that need contracts? TBL is cap compliant with a 18 player roster and those three RFAs are not on the 18 player roster.

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
No they don't have time and won't be compliant cause all 3 of those big name players are not under contract for the 20-21 season so unless you plan on trading all of them? then yeah you're compliant.

They're all RFAs this season.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The problrm is...

About a dozen teams filling out their 23 man will be over the cap. Teams will need to move salary.

About 5 or so have over $6Zm in space. The others might have $1Zm-$3Zm in space so any deals will need to be cap neutral.

So there are only many spots left two fit in their contracts. They need to move 2 of the 4 players to get enough space to sign those 3 and fillout the roster with under $m players.

Next season in expansion. Johnson is willing to go to Seattle.

Ifthey could get rid of 1 then they coukd give the thre some low 1 yr contract of $3M to Serg and Cirelli then a low 1.5 to Cernak. The next year with Johnson gone they coukd rake his money and move it to Serg and cirelli

SaucyCelly

Feb 21, 2019
You're right....was thinking they had until next year's December offhand. In any event does the Dec 1st date still hold or with the schedule changes has that changed as well?"

I haven't seen anything, but I think that it is assumed that it would at very minimum be opening day. Or if the way it currently setup it would be the first portion (month or so) of the season. This could depend on if/when they decide to shorten the season.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I think the lack of activity by tampa is intentional. Let the other teams fill up their cap space, possibly trade their 2nd round picks, and cut down their lineup holes. This reduces the number of teams able to make an offer sheet.

Plus waiting gives them more time to work out some sort of trade with Johnson.

As it is, all 3 RFAs seem vulnerable to an offer sheet. $4,363,095 is just a 2nd round pick. All three RFAs are worth more than that in trade. But tampa doesn't have the space to sign them all for that.

So they need time to trade Johnson or another guy with a NTC.

Offer Sheet Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
You're right....was thinking they had until next year's December offhand. In any event does the Dec 1st date still hold or with the schedule changes has that changed as well?"
Bettman has said that the season won't start until about Jan. 1. That's about the latest news on this topic. However, some of the talking heads have speculated that the season might not start until February even given the COVID uncertainty (resurgence, whatever).

The revenue was down last year, and looks like it will be down this season as well. So, given the changes to the new extended CBA, the cap will be based on the previous 2 years revenue (versus a projection that was done in previous CBAs). Barring something big and unexpected, the prospects for a cap increase don't look good for 2021-22 either.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
If I were the GM in EA Sports franchise mode, I would first trade Stamkos, Johnson, Palat, Gourde and Killorn for high-end prospects and/or high picks.

Then trade Hedman for the absolute BANK, that would re-stock our franchise making it a long-time dynasty.

NMC:es aside.

horner

May 22, 2007

2.98 mil cap space
You want two of the rfas to play for free.
They need to be under the cap for this upcoming season. season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad