Speculation: What moves are Tampa going to make?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why would Palat waive his NTC to go from playing on the top line of the Stanley Cup champion in a tax free state with great weather?

At least in Johnson or Gourde's cases you can make the argument of getting more prominent roles, but for Palat he's already in the perfect situation.

Didn't realize he had the full NTC

Reactions: Richard88

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If by chance, whatever he is dealing with, is career ending, it's far more likely he'd go on LTIR. He won't be foregoing the rest of his salary. That said, LTIR would give them a bit of wiggle room anyway.
That was a joke, Stamkos isn’t retiring. Just throwing that out there so people can stop discussing his potential “retirement”.

Reactions: Fogelhund

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
My guess is that they trade Johnson eventually with some retention, trade Cirelli for futures (or take offer sheet compensation if someone goes there), give Serge a Point-type deal and ask Cernak to take the “LaBanc Special”.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Stamkos won't be going on LTIR. He'll be back for training camp, whenever that is. (Fingers crossed)

I don't think he's moveable right now either. His contract is bonus-heavy and has a full NMC. There needs to be a team with a lot of cash and a favorable tax situation to take him on. Vegas seemed possible but that ship has sailed. Would a team like Nashville or Florida be able to take him on?

Brisebois tends to take his sweet time. He seems to want to keep all of his RFAs, but if we had to keep one Sergachev is the #1 priority. We'll see if he can move Johnson, Coburn, Killorn.
If you read between the lines on the recent Athletic article about the Canes draft, it sounds like they've been making internal plans to make a run for Stamkos should he be made available.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I think they move older guys Johnson or Killorn, with sweeteners, and if unavoidable, maybe slight retention.

They path to another Cup, seems to me, requires keeping the younger core guys, Point and Cirelli, and Cernak and likely Serg, etc

Reactions: bernmeister

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Yeah he wouldn’t retire and walk away from a large amount of insured money. Some of these posters are ridiculous. They could have deals in place agreed to with the RFA waiting for the moment Stamkos goes on LTIR though

And youre literally making up scenarios in your head. What's insured? Wheres your link? Or are you saying you dont know, but YOU THINK x, y, or z

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Why would Palat waive his NTC to go from playing on the top line of the Stanley Cup champion in a tax free state with great weather?

At least in Johnson or Gourde's cases you can make the argument of getting more prominent roles, but for Palat he's already in the perfect situation.
Palat will be playing for a new contract much sooner. Gourde and Johnson don’t have to worry about that until the mid 2020s.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
They will be fine. They will lose some players but will still be a really good team. I think people need to be patient when it comes to their moves. Right now teams are paying a boat load to get rid of guys and aren't spending much on fa. I think we will see some movement spark up again and we will see some tb players moved. The market is not good right now, perhaps are waiting to see if a team gets desperate. Tb has a great players. Having a good player from a cup team is valuable. Some team will see the value in that and pull the trigger.

Tb is doing the right thing by waiting right now. Market sucks and it could still stay that way but a desperate team or two could come along wanting to improve their team while others are idle. Not saying this is how it goes but I could see it go this way. Either way tb moves a few guys and we will still be a good team next year contending for a cup.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Beats me. I’m surprised Killorn hasn’t been moved yet. I thought he would for a modest return. Maybe he’ll require a sweetener.

Johnson will require a massive sweetener so I doubt he goes. Guess they could waive Gourde but it likely ends the same way as Johnson.

bizarre situation. Very much still unresolved.

I still see them losing one of Cernak or Cirelli. Either would fetch a nice return... I think.

And they’ll trade Killorn before the season.

Johnson and Gourde will be with Tampa another season.

their best case scenario they’ll move Johnson and Killorn for value, even minor value, definitely won’t play out.

Last edited:

landeskog11

Jan 14, 2012
trade stammer to red wings for hronek, mantha and 1st round and 2nd round picks next 2 years

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
They don't Have to do anything this season right?
Well technically they don't have to resign Sergachev, Cernak, or Cirelli, so technically they are compliant. But resigning those guys likely puts them over $10m over the cap ceiling, so something has to give.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Beats me. I’m surprised Killorn hasn’t been moved yet. I thought he would for a modest return. Maybe he’ll require a sweetener.

Johnson will require a massive sweetener so I doubt he goes. Guess they could waive Gourde but it likely ends the same way as Johnson.

bizarre situation. Very much still unresolved.

I still see them losing one of Cernak or Cirelli. Either would fetch a nice return... I think.

And they’ll trade Killorn before the season.

Johnson and Gourde will be with Tampa another season.

their best case scenario they’ll move Johnson and Killorn for value, even minor value, definitely won’t play out.
I wonder if Sakic is still considering a move for Cirelli or Cernak. It would require moving one one or more of Compher/Donskoi/Cole/Calvert though and the price to move those contracts might be prohibitive. But either one of those two would be big additions.

Reactions: McJedi

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Think JBB is playing the waiting game after waiving TJ. Probably believes some GM will get desperate.
I'm not sure how "waiting" is a good strategy for the TBL. There's been a lot of player movement through trade and free agent signings already leaving teams with less cap space to work with and fewer players that need to get signed. The waiting game will favor the buyer in this case, not the seller imho.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
And youre literally making up scenarios in your head. What's insured? Wheres your link? Or are you saying you dont know, but YOU THINK x, y, or z

All NHL deals are insured(I believe Nathan Horton was an exception) and all players are paid in full when on LTIR. Get yourself educated before lipping off

Edit, even more hilarious I was in a sense agreeing with what you had replied to another poster.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Not much to do until day one of the regular season, when they receive offer sheets for Cirelli/Sergachev/Cernak and are forced to waive Killorn and whichever of Gourde, Palat, Coburn etc. to get compliant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad