Speculation: What moves are Tampa going to make?

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I'd be surprised if both guys end up as top six forwards, but yes, it's a hefty price. At this point, Logan Brown is still a bunch of magic beans and Formenton had a good AHL debut but has no NHL experience.

The real question is whether Cirelli is poised to make that next jump to two-way stardom.

Some guys take a few seasons before they make that leap. He just turned 23 not that long ago.

Logan Brown gets severely underrated. The only thing holding him back is health. And Formenton is a hybrid of Chris Kreider and Kyle Connor.

Given Tampa's cap struggles, I would offer one of Brown or Formenton for Cirelli but certainly not both.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Logan Brown gets severely underrated. The only thing holding him back is health. And Formenton is a hybrid of Chris Kreider and Kyle Connor.

Given Tampa's cap struggles, I would offer one of Brown or Formenton for Cirelli but certainly not both.

It remains to be seen whether Dorion can put the screws to one of his fellow GMs.

I like both guys as prospects but they are only 1 and 2 years younger than a guy who already has a Cup ring and 40 goals under his belt in the NHL and a reputation for stellar defensive play.

In any event, if he's deemed disposable, maybe the Bolts organization and fans know something I don't.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Wish this would get stickied. The RFA's aren't going anywhere
Yes because one guy posts he is watching a baseball team from same city as he plays for...
It is funny how every Bolts fan lay out their plan to dance around cap hell and include things like " just need to move TJ " or "just need to trade Cirelli " or " just do XXX "
Ya , its not going to be that easy . Teams are foaming at the mouth waiting on Sergachev / Cernak . I cant see teams lining up for Cirelli as not many teams have the room , assets or actual $$$ .
Its going to hurt. No matter what , assets that the Bolts don't want to lose are going to have to be moved. No team is doing them any favors and take players that Tampa does not "want" anymore. One or more of the RFA's are gone or a substantial amount of draft picks.

Reactions: HBK27 and Eichel9

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yes because one guy posts he is watching a baseball team from same city as he plays for...
It is funny how every Bolts fan lay out their plan to dance around cap hell and include things like " just need to move TJ " or "just need to trade Cirelli " or " just do XXX "
Ya , its not going to be that easy . Teams are foaming at the mouth waiting on Sergachev / Cernak . I cant see teams lining up for Cirelli as not many teams have the room , assets or actual $$$ .
Its going to hurt. No matter what , assets that the Bolts don't want to lose are going to have to be moved. No team is doing them any favors and take players that Tampa does not "want" anymore. One or more of the RFA's are gone or a substantial amount of draft picks.

Dude... Sergachev went out and said he wants to play for the Lightning til he's 40 and is drinking the Lightning kool-aid harder than any RFA we've ever had. Said RFA's have always signed for what we told them to and never once have offer sheets been a problem for us. This is a problem because YOU want it to be. Someone will take Johnson. The biggest problem is what we pay to make that happen and chances are we're gonna lose unrelated picks and prospects because it'll likely be understood he goes to Seattle next year and we are paying it forward on the price of business.

Reactions: Peacefool

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Wait, the negations have barley begun.
When other teams have figured out their budget and your RFA's are still unsigned the odds of 1 of them signing an offer sheet goes up by the day.
If I was Tampa I would trade away 1 of the good RFA's as a sweetener to take Johnson. That way they get to pick what RFA's they want to keep rather than an other GM making that choice for them.

We submitted qualifying offers weeks ago. What do you mean it's barely begun? If you follow the Lightning at all you'd know our first offer to RFA's our last one.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Hey guys! Take a shot every time you see the word "offer sheet" in this thread. You'll be good and drunk by the time you finish the thread!

Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet.

Have fun.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet Offer sheet.

Have fun.

I love you mate.

Time to die!

Reactions: Roadhouse

Mar 20, 2010
What about his NTC?

The good news is that he has been cooperative and willing to waive for 8 teams. Reportedly he has also told the team to let him know if they get any offers from any other teams.

The bad news is that there haven't been any takers so far and it will likely be very expensive to move his contract. And TBL draft picks are relatively less valuable as they are expected to be late in each round.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
A package of Logan Brown (or Josh Norris) + Alex Formenton + 2nd Round Pick (They have 3!) would be a good deal to make for Cirelli. .

So far, Cirelli is a 40 point center. I think he's great but don't make him into something that he isn't. There's no guarantee that he breaks 50 points in his career. Some have compared him to Pageau. You are offering two potential top 6 forwards and a third asset for a player that Tampa is in a tough spot to re-sign.

The bolded deal (at top of this post) favors Tampa. Don't think Ottawa would be offering Norris who could end up being equal or better than Cirelli. The proposed deal seems to ignore the cap crunch that Tampa currently faces, and the tough economic times as well. Melnyk's plan also seems to favor the lower priced ELC path as well, so there's that.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Signing an offersheet doesn't mean he wants to leave, it means he wants to be paid his worth. That's why the system exists.

Yeah because nothing says "I know what I'm worth" like signing an offer sheet you know damn well your team can't match instead of having your agent get the best deal possible under the circumstances

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yeah because nothing says "I know what I'm worth" like signing an offer sheet you know damn well your team can't match instead of having your agent get the best deal possible under the circumstances

These are very short careers, with a degree of risk of injury, meaning you don't get another contract if injured. It would be irresponsible of any agent, to not maximize his clients career earnings. In any industry, if your employer can't adequately pay you, you look elsewhere. In particular when there are short careers, they should look elsewhere if necessary. It's great that players have a loyalty to a franchise, but at some point, business just becomes business, and you've got to take care of yourself, your family, and your future.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
These are very short careers, with a degree of risk of injury, meaning you don't get another contract if injured. It would be irresponsible of any agent, to not maximize his clients career earnings. In any industry, if your employer can't adequately pay you, you look elsewhere. In particular when there are short careers, they should look elsewhere if necessary. It's great that players have a loyalty to a franchise, but at some point, business just becomes business, and you've got to take care of yourself, your family, and your future.

No one is arguing this. The point is why the hell would a guy who truly WANTS to stay with the Lightning expect to do so by signing like a $5 million offer sheet if they know the Lightning is going to have a hard time coming up with that kind of money? Why the f*** would you go out of your way to make an already difficult situation even more difficult if you want to come back to your team?

They'll either sign for what the Lightning need to or they won't sign at all. End of story. History tells us to bet on the former

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It worked last year for Aho. Carolina wasn't offering a contract consistent with the calibre of player, so Montreal stepped in and he ended up being paid his worth.

Remember how Aho waited 2 weeks after the start of free agency to get the ball rolling on that? Neither do we. The Lightning players AREN'T signing the offer sheets. It would've happened by now.

Reactions: DFC

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
There's a lot of ground to cover before the NHL actually starts a 2021 season.

If it happens at all, it might not be as soon as planned.

I wouldn't blame Lightning management for waiting to see the lay of the land before they take any drastic steps concerning their roster. If they have time, they should use it wisely.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
No one is arguing this. The point is why the hell would a guy who truly WANTS to stay with the Lightning expect to do so by signing like a $5 million offer sheet if they know the Lightning is going to have a hard time coming up with that kind of money? Why the f*** would you go out of your way to make an already difficult situation even more difficult if you want to come back to your team?

They'll either sign for what the Lightning need to or they won't sign at all. End of story. History tells us to bet on the former

It's pretty simple.

If player X is worth $5 million, they can simply tell the organization that's what they deserve.... Maybe Tampa even agrees.

Tampa says, we needs to make moves, be patient.

A week goes by... no moves.

Player X - So, you haven't made the moves yet, when are you going to, so I can secure my future?

A second week goes by...no moves...

Player X - SO, you haven't made those moves yet that you've promised. When are you going to, so that I can secure my future?

How long does this go on, before Player X, who is being called by other teams, and being offered that $5 million (or more), loses patience, and forces their hand?

---------------------------------------------

Look, any, and every team in the NHL, can go over the cap, by 10% in the offseason. If Tampa truly wanted to sign Sergachev, Cirelli, and Cernak now, they could easily do so, and still be under that 10% cap. Who knows, maybe even deals have been negotiated, but are awaiting guys like Johnson, Gourde or Palat being moved??

But the longer this drags out, and the fewer teams there are out there, willing to take on Cap, the harder this gets, and the more likely a team will eventually offersheet one of these guys.

To answer your question directly. Why would you go out of your way, to make a difficult situation worse, if your preference is to come back to that team? Patience, and the greater need to secure your financial future, which the latter should always be the priority.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Remember how Aho waited 2 weeks after the start of free agency to get the ball rolling on that? Neither do we. The Lightning players AREN'T signing the offer sheets. It would've happened by now.

Carolina had oodles of cap space. In this instance it makes more sense for teams to wait until opening day when Tampa Bay loses their 10% overage cushion.

For example, Detroit OS Cirelli at 4.35 AAV, Tampa waves Killorn in order to match, Detroit claims Killorn for free. If they don't decide to match for whatever reason, Detroit gets Killorn and Cirelli for a 2nd.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
It's pretty simple.

If player X is worth $5 million, they can simply tell the organization that's what they deserve.... Maybe Tampa even agrees.

Tampa says, we needs to make moves, be patient.

A week goes by... no moves.

Player X - So, you haven't made the moves yet, when are you going to, so I can secure my future?

A second week goes by...no moves...

Player X - SO, you haven't made those moves yet that you've promised. When are you going to, so that I can secure my future?

How long does this go on, before Player X, who is being called by other teams, and being offered that $5 million (or more), loses patience, and forces their hand?

---------------------------------------------

Look, any, and every team in the NHL, can go over the cap, by 10% in the offseason. If Tampa truly wanted to sign Sergachev, Cirelli, and Cernak now, they could easily do so, and still be under that 10% cap. Who knows, maybe even deals have been negotiated, but are awaiting guys like Johnson, Gourde or Palat being moved??

But the longer this drags out, and the fewer teams there are out there, willing to take on Cap, the harder this gets, and the more likely a team will eventually offersheet one of these guys.

To answer your question directly. Why would you go out of your way, to make a difficult situation worse, if your preference is to come back to that team? Patience, and the greater need to secure your financial future, which the latter should always be the priority.
How long does it go on that in a financial crisis fans realize the offer sheets won't happen this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad