Speculation: What is your teams expansion draft list?

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Gallagher
Kotkaniemi
Drouin
Toffoli
Anderson
Danault
Armia

Weber
Petry
Edmundson

Price

Exempted : Suzuki, Romanov

Available :
Tatar (UFA), Lehkonen, Byron
Chiarot, Mete, Kulak
Allen

At forward I would switch Tatar (signed) for Armia. Unless Lehkonen has a huge year.
On Defense I would switch Edmundson for Chiarot. If Mete/Fleury/Juulsen show solid improvement they might get that last spot.

Missing from the Available list that might draw some interest: Evans, Juulsen, Lindgren

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
That would put Jesper as the Devils fifth-best prospect while excluding veterans Gusev, Palmeiri, Zacha and depending on how healthy he is Andreas Johnsson.

Haven't seen what other people are seeing. Seems like he's been part of a lot of losing.
You don't see Bastain, Jacobs, or McLeod on that list do you? Those are the players you listed who the Devils were going to protect.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
At forward I would switch Tatar (signed) for Armia. Unless Lehkonen has a huge year.
On Defense I would switch Edmundson for Chiarot. If Mete/Fleury/Juulsen show solid improvement they might get that last spot.

Missing from the Available list that might draw some interest: Evans, Juulsen, Lindgren
The issue with Tatar is that the Habs will have difficulty fitting him under the cap if they resign Danault. If Caufield is ready, he fits better under an ELC than resigning Tatar as a UFA.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
That would put Jesper as the Devils fifth-best prospect while excluding veterans Gusev, Palmeiri, Zacha and depending on how healthy he is Andreas Johnsson.

Haven't seen what other people are seeing. Seems like he's been part of a lot of losing.

you realize that Hischier is the only guy ahead of him from that list that has any impact on the expansion draft?

Just admit you haven't watched Bratt and made a wrong assumption and move on.

Gusev is also exempt. Palmieri does not have a contract beyond this season.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
You don't see Bastain, Jacobs, or McLeod on that list do you? Those are the players you listed who the Devils were going to protect.

Completely different roles. The idea is to build a hockey team - not a fantasy team.

In terms of scorers, the Devils have better options than Jesper to fill that role.

When the Devils decided not to re-sign players like Rooney and Hayden it was with the expectation that some of the young forwards from Binghamton were ready to take the next step.

Tom Fitzgerald mention Bastian and Seney in particular and Merkley is a former first-round pick who also may slide into a lineup spot this season.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Completely different roles. The idea is to build a hockey team - not a fantasy team.

In terms of scorers, the Devils have better options than Jesper to fill that role.

When the Devils decided not to re-sign players like Rooney and Hayden it was with the expectation that some of the young forwards from Binghamton were ready to take the next step.

Tom Fitzgerald mention Bastian and Seney in particular and Merkley is a former first-round pick who also may slide into a lineup spot this season.
What are you even debating at this point?

People called you one ludicrous point. You had Bratt, whose 100 points in 183 NHL games is 8th most overall in the 2016 draft, exposed in the Expansion Draft while protecting Bastian, whose played a grand total of seven NHL games, or McLeod, who has scored zero goals in 33 NHL games. And they’re both from 2016 draft too and are in fact older than Bratt, Bastian is seven months older and McLeod is five months older.

Everyone is telling you there’s zero chance Bratt isn’t protected because it’s blatantly obvious. All this chatter about what the team says about these other players’ future role doesn’t change the fact that a young scoring NHL forward like Bratt has significantly more value than AHL forwards the same age who are still trying to establish themselves in the NHL. The fact that you don’t like him does not change reality.

You’re muddying the water by veering off into a discussion on Devil’s team building, this is only about the expansion draft and player value is the central issue here. Just because Bastian and McLeod could replace Hayden and Rooney, who just both signed league minimum deals, doesn’t mean that they will actually be remotely tempting to Seattle.

If you think guys in the AHL who may not make the NHL as bottom six forwards have more value than Bratt, that Seattle would even want them when at best they could have one NHL season on our forth line on their resume, then there’s not much more to discuss. Hopefully this debate will not go off the rails too much more here because this a general thread where people post their teams’ Expansion Draft lists and not where Devils fans endlessly discuss our team.

Last edited:

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey

Bastian, Seney, and Merkley will all be battling for jobs this year. Bratt already a has a job lined up. Bratt has never even played a game in Bingo, yet you think the Devils are going to expose him to protect someone who might make the team this year.

Does anyone else on HF actually think Bratt is going to be exposed? Not one person is agreeing with you.

Doesn't that tell you something?

Last edited:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Larkin, Fabbri, Rasmussen, Bertuzzi, Mantha, Timashov (if signed)

Hronek, Stecher, Cholowski

Greiss

Exempt : Bromé, Zadina, Veleno, Pearson, Seider, Johansson, McIsaac, Larsson, Brattström

Notable exposed : Dekeyser, Nielsen

Interestingly enough, Detroit only has 5 FWs, 2 Ds and 1 G signed past 2021 onthe roster right now.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Assuming the Leafs go the 8 skater route:

Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Nylander
Rielly
Muzzin
Brodie
Dermott

Andersen (If he has signed an extension, if not then Campbell or another goalie if they make a trade)

Notable Exempt players: Sandin, Liljegren, Robertson

Leafs probably lose either Holl or Hyman assuming he's been extended, but they would be smart to make a trade with Seattle to pick Holl. Hyman is the much, much better player.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Andersen is exposed. Yes he is a free agent but will technically still be under contract to the leafs when the expansion draft takes place. The draft happens before free agency starts.
Forwards: Must exposed 2 players under contract for 2021/22 or RFA that have played 40 games in 2020/21 or 70 games in the previous two seasons
Defense: Must exposed 1 player under contract for 2021/22 or RFA that have played 40 games in 2020/21 or 70 games in the previous two seasons
Goalies: Must exposed 1 goalie under contract for 2021/22 or RFA

Expansion Draft FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Twain

Jul 1, 2019
Are they going to adjust those minimum exposure requirements? It would make sense, because we already had one shortened season and I don’t think the next season will be 82 games either. 40 is kind of a tough requirement, if the season is 50-60 games for example.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Winnipeg: 7 Forwards, 3 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards:

Scheifele
Wheeler
Ehlers
Connor
Laine
Harkins
Copp

Defenseman:

Morrissey
DeMelo
Beaulieu

Goalie:

Hellebuyck

Who I can really see Seattle taking from Winnipeg is Mason Appleton. Though I imagine Winnipeg trades him as part of Seattle taking an UFA.

Wouldn't Roslovic or Lowry (if he re-signed before the ED) be more enticing than Appleton?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Wouldn't Roslovic or Lowry (if he re-signed before the ED) be more enticing than Appleton?

I think that the Jets could make a trade similar to how Vegas got Karlsson.

Onto Roslovic, he's likely going to get traded or might be the guy Winnipeg is forced to expose to Seattle. But I think Appleton will become the much better of the two and the problem is he's not going to succeed in Winnipeg like he would in Seattle. Roslovic I think will have a much shorter and less productive career.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Winnipeg: 7 Forwards, 3 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards:

Scheifele
Wheeler
Ehlers
Connor
Laine
Harkins
Copp

Defenseman:

Morrissey
DeMelo
Beaulieu

Goalie:

Hellebuyck

Who I can really see Seattle taking from Winnipeg is Mason Appleton. Though I imagine Winnipeg trades him as part of Seattle taking an UFA.

I would protect Roslovic over Harkins any day, and a re-signed Lowry over both of them. In fact Harkins needs to play 38 more NHL games to even count as someone who can be exposed, and I'm not convinced he'll make the roster for long enough to do that. (According to CapFriendly's expansion mock draft calculator, Roslovic already qualifies and Appleton needs 23 more games)

Assuming no trade I can easily see Appleton and Roslovic being our exposed players.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
:kings

Kopitar
Iafallo
Kempe
Andersson
Doughty
Roy
Walker
Clague
Petersen

Exposed:
Goaltender: Quick
Forwards: Carter, Brown, Wagner, Lizotte, Amadio, Frk, Grundström
Defense: Määttä, MacDermid, Brickley, Moverare

What a dogs breakfast. :laugh:
Kopitar
Kempe
Andersson
Wagner
Grundstrom
Lizotte
Brown
(Iafallo is a pending UFA)

Doughty
Roy
Walker

Petersen

Exposed:
Goaltender: Quick
Forwards: Carter, Amadio, Frk
Defense: Määttä, MacDermid, Brickley, Clague, Moverare

Basically forces them to take Quick, Amadio or Maatta or settle for a big maybe in a prospect like Clague or Moverare. Would hate the see them take MacDermid but I could see it.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I'm sure Rutherford will make a bunch of trades this season rendering this all moot, but for the Penguins, here's my guess:

Protected Fs:
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Jake Guentzel
Bryan Rust
Jared McCann
Kasperi Kapanen
Jason Zucker

Protected Ds:
Kris Letang
Brian Dumoulin
Marcus Pettersson

Protected G:
Tristan Jarry

Exempt:
John Marino

Exposed:
Fs: Teddy Blueger, Zach Aston-Reese, Brandon Tanev, Sam Lafferty, Mark Jankowski, all impending UFAs
Ds: Mike Matheson, Chad Ruhwedel, Juuso Riikola, all impending UFAs
G: Casey DeSmith

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Sens:

Protected:

Forwards:
Dadonov
Tkatchuk
White
Batherson
C. Brown
(Two of Logan Brown, Filip Chlapik, Rudolf Balcers, Vitali Abromov, Chris Tierney, Nick Paul)

Defence:
Chabot
Wolanin
One of Jaros/Brown/Reilly

Goalies:
Murray

Prediction: Seattle takes the best of the exposed forwards, probably one of Balcers, L. Brown and Abromov

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Assuming the Leafs go the 8 skater route:

Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Nylander
Rielly
Muzzin
Brodie
Dermott

Andersen (If he has signed an extension, if not then Campbell or another goalie if they make a trade)

Notable Exempt players: Sandin, Liljegren, Robertson

Leafs probably lose either Holl or Hyman assuming he's been extended, but they would be smart to make a trade with Seattle to pick Holl. Hyman is the much, much better player.

Hyman seems pretty loyal, and he is from TO. Im sure they can work out a verbal deal and put pen to paper after the expansion draft

I think seattle takes Kerfoot here if he is still a leaf (which is OK because they 3.5 can be better invested elsewhere ie Hyman raise)

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Avalanche

Colorado could have a handshake deal with Landeskog since he will be an UFA. And expose him knowing they can resign him after to protect another player. That is if the Avs trade for someone that needs protecting.

Right now I see the Avs going 7-3-1

FWD: Mack, Rants, Kadri, Burakovsky, Nichushkin, Landy, JT Compher/Saad
DEF: Makar, Girard, Toews
GOalie: Grubauer

Exposed:

FWD: Saad/Compher, Donskoi, Calvert, Bellemare, Jost

DEF: Cole, Graves

Goalie: Francouz, Miska

Not Eligible: Kaut, Bowers, LOC, Timmins, Byram

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying, but they don't really have many other options on D. Subban is clearly not worth his contract anymore but he can still at least play and the Devils need bodies until some of their young guys on D are ready.

Severson will for sure be kept
I guess as it stands right now, Butcher is kept
so who is third?

Ty Smith is exempt.
Kulikov and Murray are on one year deals so who knows about them.

This is why I think it would be an absolute failure on Fitzgerald's part if he doesn't acquire a young defenseman from another team prior to the expansion draft. There are going to be some good defensemen exposed to Seattle and as it currently stands, Subban would be the 3rd defenseman protected by NJ and I can't see any reason why Seattle would want to take him (even if he has a bounce-back season, I don't see the allure of a 32-year old defenseman on a one-year $9M contract for Seattle).

The Devils have a lot of defensemen in the pipeline, but none beyond Ty Smith are a sure bet. Hopefully Murray works out well in NJ, but I think most players on expiring contracts have to know that there is little chance teams are going to re-sign them ahead of the expansion draft.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I highly doubt Frederic or Senyshen play the amount of games to qualify to be eligible. Need to play 40 games. Unless I misunderstood the rules.

Does anyone know if its games played, or games on the roster - as in a healthy scratch does or doesn't count toward the 40

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Does anyone know if its games played, or games on the roster - as in a healthy scratch does or doesn't count toward the 40

Fairly sure they actually have to play in games

Are they going to adjust those minimum exposure requirements? It would make sense, because we already had one shortened season and I don’t think the next season will be 82 games either. 40 is kind of a tough requirement, if the season is 50-60 games for example.

You would think, though 40/70 isn't exactly a high water mark, many depth players hit that fairly easy (in full seasons I grant you)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

They will likely prorate them. Just like they will prorate other numbers such as Nhl games on their ELC before they lose waiver eligibility. This coukd be an issue in Vancouver with trying to do LTIR on a player, send foehn ELCs snd call thrm back up agsinst it.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Fairly sure they actually have to play in games

You would think, though 40/70 isn't exactly a high water mark, many depth players hit that fairly easy (in full seasons I grant you)

No th isn’t all that high. Players just ending ELC might not unless they were 1/2 round picks.

What I don’t know is how thry hable injured players in this.

The count is 80/28 to not be a group 6 UFAat 25.

It’s likely actual game playing, not being on the roster. Goalies might be a different count.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Colorado could have a handshake deal with Landeskog since he will be an UFA. And expose him knowing they can resign him after to protect another player. That is if the Avs trade for someone that needs protecting.

Did anyone do this during the last expansion draft with Vegas?

I feel like it's pretty unlikely. If you're a guy wanting to re-sign with your team, you usually want to get that extension done ASAP (so an injury for example can't hurt your stock). Most guys who aren't re-signed by the end of the regular season/playoffs are at least considering going to free agency. Would be a big leap of faith for both team and player to do that arrangement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad