Speculation: What is your teams expansion draft list?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Georgiev
Trouba, DeAngelo, Lindgren
Panarin, Zib, Chytil, Kreider, Buchnevich then guessing Gauthier , Lemieux

A lot of kids ineligible
Howden exposed I hope lol
A lot can change of course. Strome May sign and be exposed.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The Leafs will have to expose a goaltender signed to a 2021-22 contract (or a qualified RFA). So likely someone will be signed or extended before the expansion if they don't want to expose Scott or Woll.

Is Scott eligible to be exposed? He only has one AHL game in the last two years. Does that count as two professional seasons?

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
May be wrong but seems like Bratt isn't anything more than he was as a rookie - possibly because he was up too soon. If last year's Binghamton season was an indication think those two (as well as Jacobs) will play far more prominent roles.

And with regards to Bratt, with players like Holtz, Mercer, Hughes, as well as Bastian and possibly Boqvist, don't really see where he fits.

In fact, doubt if he was exposed the Kracken would even take him.

As for Jacobs, I made that post before I saw the Kulikov signing. If Jacobs isn't in the NHL this year no need to protect him.
Are you joking here, you are not being serious are you? If Bratt was exposed the Kracken would take him in a heartbeat and not look back.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
May be wrong but seems like Bratt isn't anything more than he was as a rookie - possibly because he was up too soon. If last year's Binghamton season was an indication think those two (as well as Jacobs) will play far more prominent roles.

And with regards to Bratt, with players like Holtz, Mercer, Hughes, as well as Bastian and possibly Boqvist, don't really see where he fits.

With the many options the Devils will have for scorers in the future, Bratt doesn't seem to fit.

And unlike Wood, McLeod or Bastian has neither the size, willingness nor tactical game to play a two-way role. Maybe with a new coaching staff he develops those aspects but that seems like a stretch.

You are actually completely wrong on every count. Bratt is the second deadliest shooter on the team, after Palmieri and he is one of the few player whose defensive play has improved massively. His problem is not shooting enough and having had a coach that only plays him 14 min. a night.

"He is 24.6% better than the average shooter -- that’s 14th in the NHL, right between Auston Matthews and Alex Ovechkin. Ovechkin attempted 602 shots (1st in NHL). Auston Matthews attempted 504 (7th). Bratt? … 155 (362nd). His shooting talent alone was worth 4.4 goals -- good for 30th among all skaters despite his low attempt totals. Jesper Bratt is a keg of shooting value that is simply not getting tapped. And yes, part of this is Bratt’s fault. Of the 18 Devils skaters with 500+ minutes this year, Bratt was 11th at shots per 60, just ahead of #12, Kevin Rooney. In no world, is that acceptable...Via Evolving-Hockey, his even-strength xGAR defensive value has improved from -2.3 in 2018, to -1.9 in 2019, and skyrocketed to +2.3 in 2020. That was better than every Devils forward other than Selke-worthy winger Blake Coleman. His defensive performance was not a product of any one area of fluky expertise, but rather a near complete suppression of danger when on the ice...The Devils saw fewer shots, unblocked shots, shots on goal, scoring chances, high danger chances, and, of course, expected goals against with Bratt on the ice versus when he was off." - via Cordell

His defensive impact on a bad team is attached in the image.

McLeod and Wood are two of the dumbest players in the combined roster/pool, both of whom don't use their size enough. Jacobs is done in the system after this year - he's just an AHL body. Bratt is a far superior player in every aspect of the game that doesn't involve being over 6' tall.

Attachments

• Bratt Dimpact.png
    Bratt Dimpact.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 3

JelloPuddyPops

"Gotta support the team."
Oct 9, 2018
Pacific Northwest
I still feel that your logic is flawed. For me, being a fan is bigger than the players on that years roster, or the new players drafted, or even the games played, its the history and memories that make me a fan of my team. I have favored certain rosters over others my team has iced over the years, but I guess that is all part of bleeding blue and white. And I suppose that makes me biased, as not many teams come with the history that the leafs do, but I have been watching them since the mid 80s, and like I said. It's the years of memories and ups and downs that make me a fan.

I guess what I'm trying to say is saying that one is a Kraken fan, is akin to saying that you liked a movie that hasn't even been released or a fan of a restaurant that has not opened for business yet.

Although I do get the wanting to be a part of something from the beginning. I think that is cool, and in my opinion, you will eventually be a great fan for Seattle.

What if the person is a lifelong Seattle resident? Born and raised. They can’t be a “fan” of a new team cause said team doesn’t have any players yet? What if the “fan” is already a season ticket holder? Does that count in your eyes?

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
You are actually completely wrong on every count. Bratt is the second deadliest shooter on the team, after Palmieri and he is one of the few player whose defensive play has improved massively. His problem is not shooting enough and having had a coach that only plays him 14 min. a night.

"He is 24.6% better than the average shooter -- that’s 14th in the NHL, right between Auston Matthews and Alex Ovechkin. Ovechkin attempted 602 shots (1st in NHL). Auston Matthews attempted 504 (7th). Bratt? … 155 (362nd). His shooting talent alone was worth 4.4 goals -- good for 30th among all skaters despite his low attempt totals. Jesper Bratt is a keg of shooting value that is simply not getting tapped. And yes, part of this is Bratt’s fault. Of the 18 Devils skaters with 500+ minutes this year, Bratt was 11th at shots per 60, just ahead of #12, Kevin Rooney. In no world, is that acceptable...Via Evolving-Hockey, his even-strength xGAR defensive value has improved from -2.3 in 2018, to -1.9 in 2019, and skyrocketed to +2.3 in 2020. That was better than every Devils forward other than Selke-worthy winger Blake Coleman. His defensive performance was not a product of any one area of fluky expertise, but rather a near complete suppression of danger when on the ice...The Devils saw fewer shots, unblocked shots, shots on goal, scoring chances, high danger chances, and, of course, expected goals against with Bratt on the ice versus when he was off." - via Cordell

His defensive impact on a bad team is attached in the image.

McLeod and Wood are two of the dumbest players in the combined roster/pool, both of whom don't use their size enough. Jacobs is done in the system after this year - he's just an AHL body. Bratt is a far superior player in every aspect of the game that doesn't involve being over 6' tall.

Seeing as Jesper's ice time didn't increase noticeably after the coaching change, yet the team's play on the ice did, it's hard to attribute his lack of production to the coaching staff.

That you refer to NHL players as "dumb" suggests a lack of seriousness when it comes to evaluating players.

The suggestion that Bratt can play a better heavy NHL game than either Wood or McLeod doesn't make any sense.

"Using size" is far more than running around and banging bodies (many times putting yourself out of the play).

Wood was one of the players who benefited from the coaching change and is capable of playing anywhere in the lineup. McLeod is far more suited to a lower line role. Something that cannot be said of Bratt.

Unless Palmieri is traded, there doesn't seem to be a fit in the top lines given the players on the way.

Could be wrong, but think Seattle would be far more interested in Crawford (assuming he's healthy). But don't see Jesper's being the Kracken's version of William Karlsson.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
You value Jesper far more than me. He seems like a one-trick pony - some offensive ability but either unwilling or unable to play a complete game. The reason Hughes was included in that list is because he is (potentially) a top line forward and his skill set suggests he has far more potential then Bratt (though clearly he would have been far better served in either the OHL or the NCAA this past season - his brother Quinn played TWO seasons in college before breaking into the NHL).

With the many options the Devils will have for scorers in the future, Bratt doesn't seem to fit.

And unlike Wood, McLeod or Bastian has neither the size, willingness nor tactical game to play a two-way role. Maybe with a new coaching staff he develops those aspects but that seems like a stretch.

Something is telling me you just haven't watched Bratt much. He is a far better player, all around, than Wood, Bastian and McLeod. It would be terrible asset management to protect any of them over Bratt. Even if you don't think Bratt is as good as those guys or has maxed out his potential, his trade value is significantly higher than the other three guys combined.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Georgiev
Trouba, DeAngelo, Lindgren
Panarin, Zib, Chytil, Kreider, Buchnevich then guessing Gauthier , Lemieux

A lot of kids ineligible
Howden exposed I hope lol
A lot can change of course. Strome May sign and be exposed.

Rangers could acquire another Dman and possibly go 8 skaters

I don’t recall the rules on salary exposure in the ED. But Buch might get exposed because of it.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I done know of the list..has anyone seen it.

If a player plays in the AHL who turns 20 before Jan 1 thus WJC ineligible can go to the A instead of CHL or they came from college or Europe and turn 20 before Han 1...

If they don’t play 10 nhl games their ELC still slides but it’s considered a pro season for expansion draft. Thus thryhave to protected or exposed and are not exempt

Two players I recall for Vegas was Carrier was in this snd git picked and Pullock was in thus group but the Isles had to pay to protect him.

Does anyone have a potential list of players?

Likely would have been 2017 drafted players.
17-18 18 yr
18-19 turn 2 in mid sept-dec 31 and contract slid while in the A
19-20 1st ELC yr
They will have 2 ELC yrs left

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Is Scott eligible to be exposed? He only has one AHL game in the last two years. Does that count as two professional seasons?

There's no minimum experience requirement for the exposed goaltender (as opposed to forwards and D). My understanding is teams can choose to expose a goaltender that would otherwise be exempt due to lack of experience, but I don't think any team did that in 2017. So we don't have empirical evidence confirming that's an option.

Reactions: Korg

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Seeing as Jesper's ice time didn't increase noticeably after the coaching change, yet the team's play on the ice did, it's hard to attribute his lack of production to the coaching staff.

That you refer to NHL players as "dumb" suggests a lack of seriousness when it comes to evaluating players.

The suggestion that Bratt can play a better heavy NHL game than either Wood or McLeod doesn't make any sense.

"Using size" is far more than running around and banging bodies (many times putting yourself out of the play).

Wood was one of the players who benefited from the coaching change and is capable of playing anywhere in the lineup. McLeod is far more suited to a lower line role. Something that cannot be said of Bratt.

Unless Palmieri is traded, there doesn't seem to be a fit in the top lines given the players on the way.

Could be wrong, but think Seattle would be far more interested in Crawford (assuming he's healthy). But don't see Jesper's being the Kracken's version of William Karlsson.

You know who else benefited from the coaching change? Bratt. Went from 0.33 PPG to 0.64 PGG... not a bad jump. You're description of Bratt reaaally doesn't seem like you know what you're talking about to be honest.

I will personally drive McLeod to the airport, actually I'll drive him to Seattle... actually I will walk with him, carrying his equipment from New Jersey to Seattle before I'd expose Bratt in the expansion draft before him.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Winnipeg: 7 Forwards, 3 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards:

Scheifele
Wheeler
Ehlers
Connor
Laine
Harkins
Copp

Defenseman:

Morrissey
DeMelo
Beaulieu

Goalie:

Hellebuyck

Who I can really see Seattle taking from Winnipeg is Mason Appleton. Though I imagine Winnipeg trades him as part of Seattle taking an UFA.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago

We can expose Senn and protect both Crawford and Blackwood this has been explained many times in his signing thread

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth
Gallagher
Kotkaniemi
Drouin
Toffoli
Anderson
Danault
Armia

Weber
Petry
Edmundson

Price

Exempted : Suzuki, Romanov

Available :
Tatar (UFA), Lehkonen, Byron
Chiarot, Mete, Kulak
Allen

If Bergevin decide to extend Tatar then he would take Armia's place on the protection list

Last edited:

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
I think the point is, most people become fans of the team closest to where they live. It would make sense that a lot of hockey fans or people in the Pacific Northwest who are interested in learning about the game would hop on board and become fans of the Kraken.

This goes without saying, however, my original point was, how can one be a fan of a team that really doesn't exist yet? Future fan, sure.

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
What if the person is a lifelong Seattle resident? Born and raised. They can’t be a “fan” of a new team cause said team doesn’t have any players yet? What if the “fan” is already a season ticket holder? Does that count in your eyes?
No not really, for the same reason that same person cant be a supersonics fan. You could say you were a supersonics fan. Or you could say that when the Kraken team does eventually come along, that you will be a fan. But the original question was, how can you be a fan of a team, that has never played a game or a player on their roster?

Let's keep in mind that I have already had a discussion with the gentleman that my question was aimed at, and also that contrary to popular internet belief, I am entitled to my own opinion on this matter. It is ok for people to have a difference of opinion. That's healthy and ok. If you don't agree with my opinion, that is completely your prerogative

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
This thread is about what players will be part of the expansion team in Seattle - not who will be following them. Now, focus on the the OP.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey

For context, Pronman seems to rank more by tiers than straight 1, 2, 3, and ranking seems to be projection of career (eg, Lafreniere is 4 and Matt Tkachuk is 5, despite Lafreniere never having played a gme).
With tiers as elite = an impact, top 15% player; high-end = top line/top two; very good = top-6/top-4
8. Hughes (elite)
21. Hischier (elite/high-end)
29. Holtz (high-end)
64. Smith (high-end/very good)
65. Mercer (high-end/very good)
79. Bratt (high-end/very good)
99. Foote (very good)
115. Bahl (very good)
125. Shakir (very good)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I feel like, in terms of potential, it has to be Bennett over Tanev unless there's just a sign there's no chance Bennett realizes any of his potential.

Is Valimaki exempt? Under what rule?

Calgary could ginthe 8 skaters route.

When Seattle drafts I would assume about 5-7 picks are around them picking a player then flipping him to another team before he would ever dress in a Seattle uniform.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Cap-Friendly lists Valimaaki as exempt. Since he has only played one season I believe that remains the case.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
For context, Pronman seems to rank more by tiers than straight 1, 2, 3, and ranking seems to be projection of career (eg, Lafreniere is 4 and Matt Tkachuk is 5, despite Lafreniere never having played a gme).
With tiers as elite = an impact, top 15% player; high-end = top line/top two; very good = top-6/top-4
8. Hughes (elite)
21. Hischier (elite/high-end)
29. Holtz (high-end)
64. Smith (high-end/very good)
65. Mercer (high-end/very good)
79. Bratt (high-end/very good)
99. Foote (very good)
115. Bahl (very good)
125. Shakir (very good)

That would put Jesper as the Devils fifth-best prospect while excluding veterans Gusev, Palmeiri, Zacha and depending on how healthy he is Andreas Johnsson.

Haven't seen what other people are seeing. Seems like he's been part of a lot of losing.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Is Valimaki exempt? Under what rule?

Calgary could ginthe 8 skaters route.

When Seattle drafts I would assume about 5-7 picks are around them picking a player then flipping him to another team before he would ever dress in a Seattle uniform.
Valimaki has only accrued one proffessional season of hockey seeing as he missed all of last year between NHL and AHL due to an ACL tear, and you need, I think, more than x amount of games or 3 years. Since he can only play two years he is 100% exempt and is going into next season as a rookie.

Even if he wasn't exempt I'd just protect Hanifin - Valimaki - Kylington, since exposing anyone beyind Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk - Lindholm is a tough pill to swallow with either Mangiapane, Dube, Backlund, etc. leaving for no good reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->