What is wrong with Timo Meier?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I was saying last year buyer beware

The amount of money he would ask for was not something you want to pay him for what he did.

What i dont get is why people refer to him as a power forward when he is 6ft tall.

when will the Meier+ for Huberdeau+ thread get restarted...
Because he is one? He’s 6’1” and like 220 lbs.

Reactions: karltonian

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Meier, Karlsson.... guys who put up big #s on a terrible team without much talent, they go to other treams where they have to share the puck with other stars and their numbers go down.

I don't think he's a killer for NJ but maybe not what they were expecting to get.

He was a 30 goal scorer in his second full season in the league when San Jose was a 100 point team that went to the Conference finals though, while playing similar minutes to this year. I don’t know if he’s a point per game player in a lesser role, but he should be a lot better than this. It might just be a bad fit in terms of chemistry.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
Meier, Karlsson.... guys who put up big #s on a terrible team without much talent, they go to other treams where they have to share the puck with other stars and their numbers go down.

I don't think he's a killer for NJ but maybe not what they were expecting to get.
ignorant take, meier produced well on stacked teams as a part of the stack.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
What i dont get is why people refer to him as a power forward when he is 6ft tall.
This guy?
1707700736096.png

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

Lets be fair to Karlsson - hes an incredible talent and was cut short by the Cooke incident

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think Meier is a very good player but not a good fit for what NJ looks to to. They want to move fast, keep the puck moving, overload offensively and find open shooters, where he's more of a top end grinder who is able to slip into gaps and get into dirty areas to collect points.

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
I think he has some confidence problem, the two injuries didn't help at all.

He doesn't look like the confident goal scorer he was on the shark, while having a lot more of talents around him.

Hard to say what will happen next, I'd say when you are a 40 goal scorer, you might be able to bounce back at some point.

It also looks like he has a hard time to fit the NJ system.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Quite a few Devils fans posting in this thread are giving the fan base a bad name. From the hindsight trade evaluations, to using Meier’s choice in clothing to create a “poor sport, lazy, entitled” image, to showing next to no substantial knowledge of Meier’s role pre-trade. Just searching for any rationale to justify his middling performance thus far. Chill out.
Also, saying Meier isn’t a power forward? :lol: He’s a bull

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Timo Meier could retire today and this deal still wouldnt be a steal for SJ since they got so little to begin with

Mukhamadullin looks like a future Norris candidate and Musty will probably be the next great NHL power forward.

Cope and seethe.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Quite a few Devils fans posting in this thread are giving the fan base a bad name. From the hindsight trade evaluations, to using Meier’s choice in clothing to create a “poor sport, lazy, entitled” image, to showing next to no substantial knowledge of Meier’s role pre-trade. Just searching for any rationale to justify his middling performance thus far. Chill out.
Also, saying Meier isn’t a power forward? :lol: He’s a bull
In the brief bit of time I watched Meier as a shark he always seemed like a player who did his best work when he was the "Main guy" on the line where the strategy was always to get the puck to him. In NJ they've mostly stuck him with Hischier or Hughes where he definitely isn't "The guy".

I think if They Gave Meier the 3rd line with Haula and Mercer he'd have a lot more success.

Reactions: Brent Burns

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
In the brief bit of time I watched Meier as a shark he always seemed like a player who did his best work when he was the "Main guy" on the line where the strategy was always to get the puck to him. In NJ they've mostly stuck him with Hischier or Hughes where he definitely isn't "The guy".

I think if They Gave Meier the 3rd line with Haula and Mercer he'd have a lot more success.

Different level of player obviously, but the same thing was happening with Garland in Van and now on the 3rd line he’s been much more valuable.

Reactions: Szechwan and Xirik

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Except Meier played well in plenty of scenarios where he was the second or even third best guy on his line. Some of his best hockey was in 2019 on a line with Couture and Pavelski. He played almost exclusively with Hertl last year. It’s true that he likes to carry the puck but it’s absurd to suggest that he can’t play with other skilled players.

Reactions: Nth Turtle Reborn

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Didn't say that but good on you for making your post count higher.:thumbu:
You claimed Meier does his best work when he’s the Main Guy on his line and I refuted it. If Meier is the Main Guy on his line… then his linemates aren’t very good. I know, logic is hard. I’m happy to explain in more depth if you’re still struggling with that concept.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
You claimed Meier does his best work when he’s the Main Guy on his line and I refuted it. If Meier is the Main Guy on his line… then his linemates aren’t very good. I know, logic is hard. I’m happy to explain in more depth if you’re still struggling with that concept.actually you agreed with me but then felt like being pedantic.
Actually you agreed with me but felt like being pedantic.

Except Meier played well in plenty of scenarios where he was the second or even third best guy on his line. Some of his best hockey was in 2019 on a line with Couture and Pavelski. He played almost exclusively with Hertl last year. It’s true that he likes to carry the puck but it’s absurd to suggest that he can’t play with other skilled players.
I agree he plays better when he carries the puck and being on a line with Hughes who demands and requires the puck so he can playmake doesn't gel with that.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think he has some confidence problem, the two injuries didn't help at all.

He doesn't look like the confident goal scorer he was on the shark, while having a lot more of talents around him.

Hard to say what will happen next, I'd say when you are a 40 goal scorer, you might be able to bounce back at some point.

It also looks like he has a hard time to fit the NJ system.
I'd say my primary concern in how Timo fits in NJ is that he was a primary puck carrier for the Sharks and he was really good at it. He can carry the puck very aggressively a la MacKinnon. NJ has a lot of puck carriers and I think it kinda neuters his value as a player a bit shoehorning him into some kind of traditional down low grinding power forward role. He's a volume shooter so he'll have his ups and downs as a scorer but between the injuries and his current role on the team, his abilities aren't optimally utilized right now.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Hes overrated.

The advantage for the devils was his pending rfa status so they could recoup some of the assets lost. Instead fitz smoked his own stash.
The massive advantage they had in signing their core to budget caps went up in smoke with one stupid decision. Good luck with that.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
I was saying last year buyer beware

The amount of money he would ask for was not something you want to pay him for what he did.

when will the Meier+ for Huberdeau+ thread get restarted...
Lol I got shit on from both sides for one of those proposal threads

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad