What is the plan with Aho?

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
My biggest hangup for projecting anything is Brind’amour. We can all see what we would think he is as a coach based on what he was as a player, but who knows really.

Paul Maurice liked to call it system vs. style. System is when you don't have the puck, and is heavily coached. Style is when you do have the puck, and depends on the player. Generally, coaches let the guys do what they do offensively as long as they agree to certain responsibilities defensively. Peters seemed to me to be a micro-manager, wanting control of both system *and* style. I honestly think Brindy is just going to let the guys be who they are offensively. He obviously needs to have some kind of "without the puck" system, but offensively, he's going to let guys wheel, as long as they go to the net and don't give up odd-man rushes. The biggest difference I think we'll notice is in the competitiveness of the 1-on-1 battles all over the ice (i.e. we're going to win more of them).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, I hated when Peters would tell the guys to take it easy on the other team.

CH.com: You've had Rod Brind'Amour as an assistant coach, and now you get to have him as a head coach. What do you think he's going to bring behind the bench?

Slavin: He's such an outstanding guy. I think he's going to bring a sense of work ethic, like his game when he played. He's going to expect that out of us every single night and every single practice and expect it to be 110 percent all the time, never taking a shift off or a night off. Having that mentality from the top down is going to be a big influence on our team.

The Full 60: Jaccob Slavin

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
CH.com: You've had Rod Brind'Amour as an assistant coach, and now you get to have him as a head coach. What do you think he's going to bring behind the bench?

Slavin: He's such an outstanding guy. I think he's going to bring a sense of work ethic, like his game when he played. He's going to expect that out of us every single night and every single practice and expect it to be 110 percent all the time, never taking a shift off or a night off. Having that mentality from the top down is going to be a big influence on our team.

As much as I like to hear this, it's mighty easy to say in August.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

So you are telling me that Slavin believes Peters did not have the expectation that they should give 110 percent all the time? Peters was ok with 90 percent some games, and assistant coach RBA just sat on his hands when Peters suggested such effort? Or maybe, this is just player interview speech where a prominent player is asked about his new coach and decides to say a few PC cliches instead of the truth?

I know what I think is more likely.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
So you are telling me that Slavin believes Peters did not have the expectation that they should give 110 percent all the time? Peters was ok with 90 percent some games, and assistant coach RBA just sat on his hands when Peters suggested such effort? Or maybe, this is just player interview speech where a prominent player is asked about his new coach and decides to say a few PC cliches instead of the truth?

No, I think he probably believes it. It's one thing to have your head coach tell you to work hard. It's another to have a head coach who can actually outwork you in the weight room and won't stand for your nonsense. I think it's an important difference, and the one distinct advantage HCRBA brings.

But again: easy to say in August.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

And I think you may be wrong.

A coach sets the tone for the team, and if the coach isn't consistent in his words and actions across every member of the team, it can affect how a team plays. When a coach says in a very pointed interview that the team's effort was unacceptable and that their would be changes, then proceeds to move out the #6 defenseman and insert a rookie as the 4C (and then proceed to play him 5 min.), it can have an effect. How a coach goes about ensuring a team plays the way he wants is part of it. Now, maybe Peters didn't have enough tools at his disposal to effectively "punish" guys, but he sets the tone, not his assistant and it was pretty clear the team tuned him out last year, which was stated by Forslund.

Anyhow, it's not just players saying these same things about Brind'Amour. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. No team gives 100% effort, 100% of the time, it just doesn't happen, but i expect the team to have more consistency in that regard.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
It's one thing to have your head coach tell you to work hard. It's another to have a head coach who can actually outwork you in the weight room and won't stand for your nonsense.
How do all the other coaches get the best out of their players? Did Lavi out work RBA to get his best effort? Did Trotz outwork Ovi in the weight room?

This whole line of RBA won't take no half-ass efforts and he'll demand 110 percent just sounds like a bunch of cliche crap that is passed out when nobody has anything else they can think of that RBA will actually be able to do.

Should be a fun season.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
How do all the other coaches get the best out of their players? Did Lavi out work RBA to get his best effort? Did Trotz outwork Ovi in the weight room?

This whole line of RBA won't take no half-ass efforts and he'll demand 110 percent just sounds like a bunch of cliche crap that is passed out when nobody has anything else they can think of that RBA will actually be able to do.

Should be a fun season.

Some coaches are better tacticians. Some are better motivators.

BP made claims on the former. RB makes claims on the latter. Will those claims hold up? We shall see.

But please, let's dispense with the fiction that all coaches are equally skilled at motivating their players.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
But please, let's dispense with the fiction that all coaches are equally skilled at motivating their players.
I never claimed that they were. I was merely questioning the link between motivation and being able to "outwork you in the weight room." Motivation is important. So are structures/systems that help a player/team succeed. I hope we didn't trade one deficiency for another.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I never claimed that they were. I was merely questioning the link between motivation and being able to "outwork you in the weight room." Motivation is important. So are structures/systems that help a player/team succeed. I hope we didn't trade one deficiency for another.
I think you are both kind of right. But only time will tell how it really goes. Hopefully Rod will prove that he has some skills on the tactical side and his motivating skills work well even outside the weight room. That’s what would make me happy at least.

Peters didn’t seem like a great and consistent motivator to me at least. Hopefully Rod is clearly better in that area. That’s pretty easy to expect at least.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I certainly find it very plausible that it's potentially very motivational to have a guy who's hired to wear a suit outdo you in the weight room if you don't really push it yourself. There's the added element that it drives you to push it on the mental and tactical side too, to be able to challenge and outdo him in his job, just to be on the safe side if you happen to lose in the weight room.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
In some cases I believe is is also consistently doing the small things....well, consistently. If Rod is merely equivalent on the tactical side but slightly superior on the motivational side, that can snowball....but as Hank says, we'll have to wait and see.

I seem to recall that the types of drills that the prospects did were quite unique and weren't all about only "hard work". They did several that showed skill deficiencies that would need to be worked on.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
this is a 7.25% improvement

You are assuming they both requested 0% the rest of the time.

Peters’s request was made while traveling east at 78mph. Brind’Amour’s request was made at the top of a 418ft building, while dropping a bowling ball from rest. Assuming Brind’Amour is 6ft tall and drops the ball from eye level, and Peters is traveling in the second to last train car, what is the approximate effort level demanded by each coach?

(Assume acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s^2)

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Some coaches are better tacticians. Some are better motivators.

BP made claims on the former. RB makes claims on the latter. Will those claims hold up? We shall see.

Well I believe one thing RB said during the Sirius/XM interview: "Either things are going to turn out great, or they will be terrible." lol.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I never claimed that they were. I was merely questioning the link between motivation and being able to "outwork you in the weight room."

OK, how about this: "coach was captain of a team who won the Stanley Cup, maybe we should pay attention." There are many ways of motivating. RBA has a pretty decent chance of being good at a lot of them. That's not an unreasonable thing to hope for, given his reputation as a player.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge

Why ask for 110%, when you can ask for 120%?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
673516.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad