What is the plan with Aho?

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Nashville just won the Presiden'ts Cup. They sign players to 7-year deals after one 60-point season. Even Arizona is willing to sign a player who has yet to hit 40 points to a 6-year deal. There is a general consensus that Yzerman is a shrewd GM--just signed Miller, whose production is similar to TT, for 5 years.

I think you are likely correct that the organization will do a shorter deal. Personally, I don't think it is smart. Players see that other teams put faith in their players. As a manager I have found trusting people is a much more productive strategy than sending a message that certain team members haven't done enough yet to warrant the respect that their less accomplished peers are receiving.

Faith apparently works in the NHL also. Two examples: Sean Couturier and Richard Rackell. Both flourished after signing long-term contracts that appeared to be putting "too much faith" in them.

All players aren't the same, even if their stats and years of service are similar. Some guys can sign a life-altering deal, put it in their back pocket, and keep going like nothing happened. Other guys get the money and put it on cruise control. Other guys aren't motivated by money *or* championships and they just want to get girls. You've got to figure out what kind of guy you've got and invest accordingly. I'm still not sure we know what kind of guy Teuvo is.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Other guys aren't motivated by money *or* championships and they just want to get girls. You've got to figure out what kind of guy you've got and invest accordingly. I'm still not sure we know what kind of guy Teuvo is.

Didn't someone post a "thanks for pucking me teuvo" sign just the other day? Maybe we do know

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I hate guys like Teuvo because there's just *no way* to know what he's going to do once he's set for money. I have no fears about guys like Aho, who were born to play hockey. With Teravainen, there's no way to know what motivates the guy.

I like Teravainen, and I'm glad to see him starting to have some success. But I think the concerns are about more than just his off-season commitment level. It's about whether or not he's got the killer instinct necessary to be a star in the NHL. IMO, Timonen and others who have criticized his off-season training are over-simplifying things. There's no doubt it would be better for Teravainen to be in better shape, but that's not enough. It's not like if he showed up in CrossFit Games shape he'd be an automatic All-Star.

IMO, Teravainen's got to decide if he's willing to commit to seeing how far this goes, like Aho has. He has to decide if he's willing to work as hard making adjustments as defenses are going to work at finding ways to stop him. Teravainen's biggest question mark is between his ears, IMO. And I'm scared of giving guys like that life-changing money.

Until we know that's he's committed to being a pro and selling out to win titles, I'd just as soon stick to two-year deals and avoid anything longer.

Is there any actual existing info regarding Teuvo's off-season training program and also can you show where Timonen made that comment? I actually don't have any knowledge of how he is actually spending his summers and that's why I'd like to know. Teräväinen has the natural talent and high hockey IQ but he's never taken that next step in skating (in my opinion) nor has he really bulked up. I honestly wouldn't know how he'd fair in today's game without Aho. Once upon time I thought he'd be a star ór superstar in the game - when he nearly single-handedly lead team Finland to gold medal in the WJC some years ago, yet he hasn't exactly been on the upswing development trajectory since. While the game instincts are quite apparent, he doesn't have natural physical toughness and that's where the "problems" begin. I really do hope he's working all this out but like I said I haven't exactly followed up.

Oh and apologies for derailing. Just curious for some details. There was some article in a newspaper about Carolina having an all-Finn line with Mäenalainen - Aho - Teräväinen, but I don't necessarily feel those guys match up with Aho's standards. Luckily Svechnikov will, in time. ;)

Reactions: Unsustainable

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Is there any actual existing info regarding Teuvo's off-season training program and also can you show where Timonen made that comment? I actually don't have any knowledge of how he is actually spending his summers and that's why I'd like to know. Teräväinen has the natural talent and high hockey IQ but he's never taken that next step in skating (in my opinion) nor has he really bulked up. I honestly wouldn't know how he'd fair in today's game without Aho. Once upon time I thought he'd be a star ór superstar in the game - when he nearly single-handedly lead team Finland to gold medal in the WJC some years ago, yet he hasn't exactly been on the upswing development trajectory since. While the game instincts are quite apparent, he doesn't have natural physical toughness and that's where the "problems" begin. I really do hope he's working all this out but like I said I haven't exactly followed up.

Oh and apologies for derailing. Just curious for some details. There was some article in a newspaper about Carolina having an all-Finn line with Mäenalainen - Aho - Teräväinen, but I don't necessarily feel those guys match up with Aho's standards. Luckily Svechnikov will, in time. ;)

Blackhawks teammate Timonen says Teravainen is a long way from NHL stardom (2015)
Teravainen is one of the best prospects in hockey. But veteran Kimmo Timonen believes his fellow Finn has a lot of work to do before he can reach NHL stardom.
"He's got a long way to go," Timonen said. "He's a skinny guy, so he's got to start lifting weights and doing that. ... I told him, 'This summer, you've got to make sure you work out.
"Golf is not a workout.'"

"He can be a superstar in this league," Timonen said Wednesday. "But it's still in the process that he's got to realize, 'OK, I've got to make sure summer I work out every day, and I've got to watch these guys how they prepare for the games like Toews and Kane and (Duncan) Keith and these guys.'"

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Running a 10k isn’t some great accomplishment, particularly for an an athlete or in fact, anyone in decent shape. I’m not a runner and ran the Krispy Kreme 5 miler (8k) a few years ago in my 40s (non donut eating) without much problem.

Have you seriously been arguing here if professional athlete can run 10 km or do I understand something wrong here? I mean, i was once drunk and telling my collegue that any healthy man can run marathon if really want so I had to go and do it (of course later, not drunk). It's not the distance, but speed that kills.

TT has now lately worked on gym with help of one top weight lifter. I think it showed up last season and will show up more this one.

And about Aho we also propably hear before the season.

Aho to resume contract talks with Hurricanes

I am really interested to see Necas and really hope he can perform well. And Aho should stay on left.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Have you seriously been arguing here if professional athlete can run 10 km or do I understand something wrong here? I mean, i was once drunk and telling my collegue that any healthy man can run marathon if really want so I had to go and do it (of course later, not drunk). It's not the distance, but speed that kills.

If I understand your question, I wasn't arguing that and in fact was stating the opposite. I was saying that any professional athlete should be able to run a 10km with ease and it wouldn't be some big accomplishment to do so. Now, if someone said he could run a 10km at a specific pace, that might be different, but that wasn't the discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad