What is the plan with Aho?

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I think he'll want no more than 5 or 6 years and something in the $6.75 million range. Puts him in line for the real big contract as a 26 year old.

I hope the organization can make something like 8 years/$57 M work. Because locking him up for 6 years or less means the possibility of losing Aho just as Svechnikov and Necas are entering peak production--not to mention Fox and whoever the Canes get in the 2019 first round. I think even 8/62 looks like a good deal for the team.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I hope the organization can make something like 8 years/$57 M work. Because locking him up for 6 years or less means the possibility of losing Aho just as Svechnikov and Necas are entering peak production--not to mention Fox and whoever the Canes get in the 2019 first round. I think even 8/62 looks like a good deal for the team.

I think we will be seriously fortunate if we can lock him up under any number below $8 mill a season for 8 years.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think we will be seriously fortunate if we can lock him up under any number below $8 mill a season for 8 years.
His mental process takes in the Finnish taxation, filters the offer through what he would get in hand in Finland from the nominal salary and considers everything going above that courtesy of NC taxation a windfall.

There was just today an article about people here *****ing about Jussi Jokinen saying that he won't be playing in Finland 2018-19 due to "taxation reasons". The pro-Jokinen writer checked it as hypothetical from the tax office; he was told that JJ would be subject to the Finnish taxation from the minute he permanently moved into the country, meaning that his FLA buyout income of $1.333M for 2018-19 would be subject to ~57% total tax rate and that the ~300k he would get from a FEL team would all go to taxes and then some.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Am I the only one thinking Aho isn't going to have some massive jump this season? The cats out of the bag. Not that other teams weren't at least aware of him last year, but players tend to adjust the year after a real breakout. Hopefully some of the other lines draw attention, but I'll be really happy if he gets to 70.
Young kid who's had upward trend for 3 years now, started slow both his seasons in the NHL... i don't think that'll happen again and i think expecting a jump is reasonable.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah that’s my thought. He’s put up the numbers he has while having statistically significant bad starts both years.

Even if he completely stagnates, those extra 10 games will be a modest uptick in production. Even if he takes a slight step back, those extra 10 games should be enough to keep his production where it is. A slight uptick in skill and production, as would be normal at his age, added to those 10 games and we could see 80 points.

This, of course, assumes he doesn’t have another slow start, which isn’t a given. The same logic could’ve been applied last year, and yet he started slow.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Lempo, forgive my ignorance if you've said this before or if I'm just misreading, but is jussi jokinen not well-liked in Finland? Do you just dislike him? I get the vibe you aren't a big fan of his and wonder why... I'm not a massive jokinen fanboy but am curious
No, I don't have any antipathy against him, the recent grin thing about that poster was a joke. I'd love to see him continue play in the N. Neither is he unliked by rest of the Finns, except maybe for the short minute when he was hogging Patrik Laine's wing in that one tournament and Laine had to play from his off-side centered by Barkov.

The current online bother I referred to (which I personally haven't seen outside the mention in the article) is because of Finns' crazy relation with the taxation; you can actually lose elections by promising to lower them. Some insist insisting that the few sports millionnaires pick the raisins from the bun by benefiting from the tax-paid goodies but then they ditch to abroad and don't contribute themselves when they'd got the dough.

The reality that most people get obviously is that you can't work your profession of NHL player or Formula 1 driver in Finland and thusly intentionally bringing the money here to be taxed (again) would be just stupid. He just maybe was too honest about it, and you know how the mofos online always are.

Last edited:

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Lempo, forgive my ignorance if you've said this before or if I'm just misreading, but is jussi jokinen not well-liked in Finland? Do you just dislike him? I get the vibe you aren't a big fan of his and wonder why... I'm not a massive jokinen fanboy but am curious

Jussi Jokinen is a West Finn, on the Northern side of North South divide with a background in the Ermines. In the upcoming race war West Finns will be driven off this land by the East Finns. I will not put sword into the scabbard until Karelia is free.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Jussi Jokinen is a West Finn, on the Northern side of North South divide with a background in the Ermines. In the upcoming race war West Finns will be driven off this land by the East Finns. I will not put sword into the scabbard until Karelia is free.
Your oath of choice as a rule turns awry, so if you like we can agree right now on the safeword that might save you from summary execution if it by any odd chance in fullness of time happens to be me who gets tasked to take you to behind the sauna.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
These are some great sentences.

Here is an ermine:
ermine-image-2.jpg

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I did not anticipate animalstown being so protective of their content. My bad animalstown :/
Ermines are worth some serious dough. I can appreciate, squirrel pelts once were the legit currency of our ancestors back in the happy days when money actually grew in trees.

The Finnish word for 'money' actually comes from the Proto-Germanic word skraha, meaning 'dry animal skin'.

Funnily enough none of this is OT.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Ermines are worth some serious dough. I can appreciate, squirrel pelts once were the legit currency of our ancestors back in the happy days when money actually grew in trees.

The Finnish word for 'money' actually comes from the Proto-Germanic word skraha, meaning 'dry animal skin'.

Funnily enough none of this is OT.
What you’re saying is, we should be paying Aho not in dollars, but in dead rodent skin.

There’s about to be a squirrel holocaust in my neighborhood.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
What you’re saying is, we should be paying Aho not in dollars, but in dead rodent skin.

There’s about to be a squirrel holocaust in my neighborhood.

I look forward to hearing news about a North Carolina man who had been arrested at the scene of a small animal slaughter screaming: "I killed them for Sebastian Aho! Sebastian Aho!"

Why should Florida have all the fun?

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Man, we have become seriously jaded as a group, and trained that we can't have nice things. There's no reason to think Aho's numbers will take a step back. He's another year bigger, stronger, and faster. Moving to center full time adds a few gift assists off draws. Teravainen is also coming into his own, and options for the left side are all more talented, faster and more creative than Jordan Staal offensively. Hopefully, our first unit power play will be better with the additions of a point man who can get his shot through and a big body who goes to the net (whether it be Zykov or Svechnikov). If anything, I think he's got another level. I'm projecting over a point a game.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Man, we have become seriously jaded as a group, and trained that we can't have nice things. There's no reason to think Aho's numbers will take a step back. He's another year bigger, stronger, and faster. Moving to center full time adds a few gift assists off draws. Teravainen is also coming into his own, and options for the left side are all more talented, faster and more creative than Jordan Staal offensively. Hopefully, our first unit power play will be better with the additions of a point man who can get his shot through and a big body who goes to the net (whether it be Zykov or Svechnikov). If anything, I think he's got another level. I'm projecting over a point a game.

I feel like I’m in the twighlight zone seeing this from you, but it is refreshing.

My biggest hangup for projecting anything is Brind’amour. We can all see what we would think he is as a coach based on what he was as a player, but who knows really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->