What is the minimum to retain/restore your faith in the team?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
New GM

Right there is all I'd need outside of Melnyk, the rest would be something to take a case by case basis on with a new guy in charge

Zero faith in this management group to operate a successful rebuild

I am with you here. Unfortunately I don't think Melnyk will pull the plug on Dorion or hire a VP of Hockey Operations to do it for him. It will be a long road back to any kind of respectability. Its a sad time for Sens fans and I don't think the shit storm we have been going through has blown itself out just yet.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
1.Re-sign our FA.
2.Trade the face-punchers not named Tkachuk.
3.Replace the garbage in Belleville with a focus on speed, skating, puck-movement and attack.
4.Resignation of Pierre Dorion.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
At this point I don't want to resign Duchene and Stone. They are the type of players that would hurt a rebuild by helping us move up a spot or 2 in the standings. If we are going to do this right we need all veteran talent off the team. It didn't have to be this way but this is the only way with how bad this management has f***ed up. There is no other way.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Commitment and a plan.

It has to start from the top with ownership making the commitment to winning, the way Melnyk did when he first arrived, even if in a more strategic way than big markets, and allowing the fans to make an emotional investment into the long term of the team believing the team is serious.

But right now it looks as though Dorion was given a multi yr contract before expected because he was expected to perform multiple years of dirty deeds done dirt cheap in order to ensure that Melnyks 1st priority (paying back the people who have lent him money), is the focus for the next few years.

At a minimum i want to know that he can take on the LeBreton project. Cause just thinking about the money involved, its hard to believe his likely profits from his portion of the few billion dollar project is enough to build an arena with when he still owns another one. And his counter to the counter suit as much as admitted that.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I have no faith until there is a change in ownership. It starts from the top.

It doesn't mean I won't follow the team, but I expect the new few years to be a series of one step forward with three steps back. That's what happens when ownership isn't stable.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

It doesn't mean I won't follow the team, but I expect the new few years to be a series of one step forward with three steps back. That's what happens when ownership isn't stable.
End thread

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
At this point I don't want to resign Duchene and Stone. They are the type of players that would hurt a rebuild by helping us move up a spot or 2 in the standings. If we are going to do this right we need all veteran talent off the team. It didn't have to be this way but this is the only way with how bad this management has ****ed up. There is no other way.

We should trade both because we have a finite amount of money to spend on players, we're going to suck anyways for the next few years, so we might as well get the assets for them and commit that money to locking down our younger guys to long term deals that will age well by the time Melnyk runs out of money in the early 2020's and we're ready to end the perpetual rebuild under a new owner.

The right answer might be, trade Duchene, keep Stone to lead the young core. If we're dealing Anderson, Duchene, Dzingel, and Ceci - even with our young guys developing, I don't see Stone being enough to help us take a big step forward next season. So maybe keeping him doesn't hurt the quest for top end talent in the first few picks of the draft by that much.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I haven't lost faith in the team (and never will no matter how bad things get). But here's some stuff I'd be happy to see:

1) Hire a new GM.
2) Demote Dorion down to a lesser role that suits him better (scouting, special advisor or Assistant GM). He's a good hockey mind, but should never be in front of a news camera or behind a trade table.
3) Clean house on most or all of the coaching staff starting next season. Pay for a proven NHL coach or scour the minors for a rising star, but please don't recycle some cheap loser from another club.
4) Re-sign Stone and Duchene, or get a good return on their trades (I prefer to re-sign, but I'll be okay with either option).
5) Consider firing the following people: (a) whoever scouted Chiasson, Boedker and Burrows...if these are mostly on Dorion personally, then cut bait on him; (b) whoever pushed for drafting Shane Bowers over Eeli Tolvanen.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

To be honest, I've gone well beyond that stage of the grieving process. I need a whole lot more than a new owner, management, coaching staff and players.

A new owner and change within the organization is just the start. I also need to see some sort of commitment with the NHL and NHL hierarchy (this more about fixing the game at the NHL level - officiating, ruleset, scheduling....all sorts of things...and no more freaking lockouts!!!), Hockey Canada (fix development, grow the game), and the city itself (stop politicking and dicking around, both to the mayor and NCC and business partners).

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'll always have faith in the team and will allow for patience and that it may take years.

But I need Stone at the minimum to stick around and give me hope. A great captain is what can kick things off.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Nothing but a new owner will satisfy me, everything else is bandaid.
I don't really get this mentality.

Would you be happy with a new owner that spent roughly the same dollars, and kept the same GM and coaching staff in place?

KAPOW

has no rispeck
Nov 12, 2008
at home
what others said: new owner, gm and coach but since this seems unrealistic: sign stone long-term and make him captain. i mean if you can't sign an energetic, young(ish) guy that leads, plays good, puts up points AND that wants to be here then why even ice a team in the first place...

Reactions: Bileur

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
With Dorion still being GM, nothing until he's gone.
As for Melnyk.. If he was to just stop all this shit, and never talk again to the Media ETC, sure. But that's highly unlikely, so he needs to go.
Then there's re-signing Stone/Duchene. I wouldn't mind trading Duchene at the TDL though, don't really think he's a good guy to have in the room.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
A complete clear out from the top to the bottom, and a willingness to spend money ON THE RIGHT PLAYERS.

When’s Boro due a contract? I can see him getting 8x5 or something stupid... and I genuinely believe that could happen.

Reactions: Yak

J0sh

Jul 12, 2015
I won't be satisfied unless a) colorado gets a shit draft pick and b) stone, duchene and karlsson get resigned

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I don't really get this mentality.

Would you be happy with a new owner that spent roughly the same dollars, and kept the same GM and coaching staff in place?

There's no guarantee a new owner will spend money.

That doesn't disqualify people from stating that this team needs stable ownership to restore their faith, since a majority of the teams problems have stemmed from a lack of stable ownership.

It's not outlandish to assume that an owner or ownership group willing to spend money will purchase a pro sports franchise. That is the usual norm. Eugene Melnyk is not the norm. Looking at only the NHL, the Coyotes are our only contemporary in terms of spending. Maybe the Panthers since they had that BS a few seasons back where they had to shed salary. There are lots of teams with internal budgets, but very few as restricting as ours. There are very few with stripped down front offices like ours.

Trying to state something like but the new owner might not spend as well isn't a real strong argument because it ignores that the Senators current state is very unique in the landscape of the NHL. The odds of us getting ownership that is as bad as Melnyk currently is are very low.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
They could trade for Crosby, McDavid, Get The Best UFA's ,New Arena, Win the Cup and I would still hate them both and never trust a word that comes out of their mouths!

Too much water under the bridge , I can't forgive or forget what they have done to this franchise and fan base.

Reactions: topshelf15

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
- An owner that can stay out of the press, and let hockey ops do it's job. If Melnyk can be that, fine.
- A hockey ops team that can put together effective short, medium and long term plans.
- Money to be spent where it needs to be. If that means cutting back on the on ice spending to get off ice personnel that will maximize the efficiency of our on ice spending, that's fine. If it means a short term increase to realize long term gains, great.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad