What is the minimum to retain/restore your faith in the team?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
- An owner that can stay out of the press, and let hockey ops do it's job. If Melnyk can be that, fine.
- A hockey ops team that can put together effective short, medium and long term plans.
- Money to be spent where it needs to be. If that means cutting back on the on ice spending to get off ice personnel that will maximize the efficiency of our on ice spending, that's fine. If it means a short term increase to realize long term gains, great.

Agreed.

“Real” Hockey Ops is so critical.

If you run it like basement business it will fail. If you see what Toronto did when they wanted a cup, I think Ottawa should invest on rebuilding by hiring the right guys from Presidents and management down to the trainers. I often wonder about our injuries and correlation to the training staff.

Yes, Ottawa will never have the income to sustain a hockey ops team like Toronto, but to get this crap back on track a similar and smaller scale ops team needs to happen. ASAP.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Faith is a word people use when they don't have a good reason for believing.

I will have an amount of confidence based on the evidence. Right now there's zero evidence of this team being trust worthy.

What would it take? At the very least, a new owner.

Reactions: Engineer

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Leaving Melnyk out of the conversation, and assuming trades will happen, what is the minimum return you'd accept to retain or restore your faith that the Senators will rebuild properly?

A trade(s) with a team(s) that brings back a 1st round draft pick(s) that have a good chance of becoming part of the draft lotteries.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
A commitment to winning. Like others have said this starts with the front office and coaching.

Don't lie to me. I understand there are limitations on this franchise but dont treat me like an idiot.
Thats the crux of this whole thing,putting limits on fan expectation.....The only reason that people watch hockey is to dream about the team becoming the very best ,with this team they have completely taken this away from the fans ...And walk and talk around in a stupor as to why the fans have stopped coming

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
You all just need some goddamn faith! I have a plan.

iLJ_5Kd9_400x400.jpg

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
1. Re-sign Dzinger, Duchene and Stone.
2. Make literally any hockey decision where the sole purpose isn't to save the owner money
3. Find a way to make my dad come home
4. Have a goalie

#2 really hits home for me. Just seriously do something to show that this is an NHL team and not some cost per point, 2nd rate organization.

Reactions: topshelf15

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Hiring a non bargain basement coach with an actual proven track record of success i.e. Quenneville would be the biggest thing Ottawa could do right now to restore my faith in the team and its direction. But he doesn't walk on water so it'll never happen.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Hiring a non bargain basement coach with an actual proven track record of success i.e. Quenneville would be the biggest thing Ottawa could do right now to restore my faith in the team and its direction. But he doesn't walk on water so it'll never happen.

You could also pay Michael Schumacher to race for your team but if you put him in a 1996 Honda Accord while everyone else is driving Ferraris it's not going to matter what his resume looks like.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Melnyk sells
Alfie brought in as President of hockey ops
Cyril Leeder brough in as President and or CEO
Hires Mark Hunter as GM
Hunter hires Joel Quenville as coach with maybe Sheldon Keefe as one of the assistants
Duchene new contract
Stone new contract
Dzingel traded for legitimate top 4 dman.
Ceci traded
Boro waived
Smith gone
Ryan bought out

Last edited:

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Melnyk sells
Hires Mark Hunter as GM
Hunter hires Joel Quenville as coach with maybe Sheldon Keefe as one of the assistants
Duchene new contract
Stone new contract
Ceci traded
Boro waived
Smith gone
Ryan bought out

This would be absolutely amazing. I would immediately buy season tickets again. The sad thing is that it's a pipe dream, when for almost any other club these would all be business as usual decisions.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Melnyk sells
Hires Mark Hunter as GM
Duchene new contract
Stone new contract
Ceci traded
Boro waived
Smith gone
Ryan bought out

At this point I'd just be happy with the Ceci trade.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You could also pay Michael Schumacher to race for your team but if you put him in a 1996 Honda Accord while everyone else is driving Ferraris it's not going to matter what his resume looks like.
...or put him in a 1996 Ferrari and watch him drag that car and team into a contender. When Schumacher came to Ferrari, he changed the culture from top to bottom. Maybe a guy like Quenneville could do that as well, although we both know that would never happen...

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
...or put him in a 1996 Ferrari and watch him drag that car and team into a contender. When Schumacher came to Ferrari, he changed the culture from top to bottom. Maybe a guy like Quenneville could do that as well, although we both know that would never happen...

As a great driver he knew which changes to make to the car and he had a super talented team to implement those changes. They also ballooned the budget and were soon spending in the hundreds of millions a year just on R&D.

Quenneville is a great coach. And certainly capable of identifying and implementing changes. However, he does need an owner or ownership group who have the same commitment to spending that he needs to be able to introduce all of those changes.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Ya was gonna say, you would be surprised what Schumacher could do in a 1996 Accord and regular shmucks were driving those Ferraris. You would be surprised at what that level of talent can do. Kind of a poor analogy.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Melnyk sells
Hires Mark Hunter as GM
Duchene new contract
Stone new contract
Ceci traded
Boro waived
Smith gone
Ryan bought out

I need a new pair of pants.

Reactions: HF Reader

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Ya was gonna say, you would be surprised what Schumacher could do in a 1996 Accord and regular shmucks were driving those Ferraris. You would be surprised at what that level of talent can do. Kind of a poor analogy.

Not to derail too much, but I remember Johnny Herbert looking at telemetry of Stowe corner to see how Schumi went 20 km/h faster!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->