What is the minimum to retain/restore your faith in the team?

Hole in the Condon

Dec 2, 2017
Sign Stone, Duchene, and Dzingle. None of those 3 are overrated and despite people barely talking about him, Dzingle can score, and we lost a lot of that abillity with Hoffman. Get 2 out of those 3 guys signed and get a top 3 D man and my confidence in this team would be restored (I mean as much as it could be with this current management team).

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Sign Stone, Duchene, and Dzingle. None of those 3 are overrated and despite people barely talking about him, Dzingle can score, and we lost a lot of that abillity with Hoffman. Get 2 out of those 3 guys signed and get a top 3 D man and my confidence in this team would be restored (I mean as much as it could be with this current management team).
For me it hinges on signing Stone (although I agree with all comments on Melnyk and Dorion). If they can't/won't sign a player with his character and skill then I'll have no hope.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
doesn't take much forme.. a coach that plays modern hockey.. that's it. I can live with not being a powerhouse or dynasty... but 82 games is a LOOOONNGGG time to watch shit

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Stone has to be signed at a minimum, hopefully Duchene as well. A top 3 defensive dman brought in. Ceci has to be gone, if he is a part of this team in any way, I won't have faith.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Yeah, short of new ownership, I’m done financially supporting this team.

Forget financially, I cant believe I have only missed watching 2 Sens games all year. What a garbage product I keep watching for some odd reason. Now that we are about to hit the dog days of the NHL season, I am going to do something more useful with my time.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Forget financially, I cant believe I have only missed watching 2 Sens games all year. What a garbage product I keep watching for some odd reason. Now that we are about to hit the dog days of the NHL season, I am going to do something more useful with my time.

I am really starting to question this as well. The organization is so poorly run ; The ownership is inadequate to say the least.. I can get behind a rebuild and can be patient through it, but I have absolutely zero faith in Dorion's abilities and he makes me want to puke every time he opens his pie hole. Its nice to see the young guys we have do well but the coaching is awful. Yet here we are and I know I have frequently wondered why recently

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I've only watched 2 games this season and bits and pieces of some others. I have no interest in listening to TSN1200 talk about the Sens so sometimes I don't even realize they are playing like last night. Only a fool would have bought into the whole this team plays an exciting style of hockey. What even more terrible is that the GM's job is not based on performance, it's based on servitude.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I am really starting to question this as well. The organization is so poorly run ; The ownership is inadequate to say the least.. I can get behind a rebuild and can be patient through it, but I have absolutely zero faith in Dorion's abilities and he makes me want to puke every time he opens his pie hole. Its nice to see the young guys we have do well but the coaching is awful. Yet here we are and I know I have frequently wondered why recently
Yup, pretty hard to sell a rebuild when fans have no faith in those pulling the strings. I would like to hear Dorion admit a mistake for once. Everything you hear from the guy is pumping tires and saying he'd do every move over again. Show some humility man, you made some grave mistakes and your arrogance about them is not endearing.

I can handle a rebuild, but I have no faith whatsoever in this management group doing it properly. I don't know how anyone could after seeing how poorly they've navigated their assets the last couple years.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I've only watched 2 games this season and bits and pieces of some others. I have no interest in listening to TSN1200 talk about the Sens so sometimes I don't even realize they are playing like last night. Only a fool would have bought into the whole this team plays an exciting style of hockey. What even more terrible is that the GM's job is not based on performance, it's based on servitude.

You don't watch on TV. You don't listen to 1200 to catch the latest talk about the team. Yet here you are everyday. Gotta luv your commitment to hf sens

Reactions: coladin

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
New ownership.

Eugene Melnyk has proven time and again he is neither capable nor willing to do what is necessary for this organization to transform into a true professional organization from top down.

We may have hamburglar runs here and there under his watch, but his unwillingness to put professionals in place and give them the autonomy to really change the culture of this franchise will always hold it back.

If he's incapable of seeing how awful of a general manager Pierre Dorion is, or he see it, but simply doesn't care, then he's truly lost, and only a drastic change at the top of the chain will help this team long term.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

This is kind of how I feel.

I want to see or at least get some semblance that a long-term plan has been developed that gets us from here to the cup. Ex: fast-high hockey IQ-with mobile defense...or whatever your preferred formula/identity, plus a core roster structure that is in line with what has won cups in recent history (1-2 elite centres, fast puck moving defenders, above-average goaltending (that season), solid mix of youth and vets, etc

From that point... every player, coach, etc should be brought in that fits with this belief and fills out the structure of what a winning team looks like in 3-5 years. Then they have to follow-through with drafting, signings, coaching styles, etc.

If I see a management that is working towards a winning strategy/identity that fits logically with what has worked in the past, then I am happy, regardless of the people, players, or even owner involved.

Signs that we are not going in this direction:

- Cannot or will not sign core players to long-term contracts
- Drafting/trading for players that do not fit with the long-term style of play
- Building a team that does not fit with what has worked in the past (for ex: Montreal with no centers the past decade)
- Inability to raise the player budget. (If it's only a market issue and not management then their are a dozen others teams with similar rev issues and then its a rev. share issue...so still a management/ownership/nhl issue). BTW, doesn't have to be to the cap. Just enough to fund the later years of the plan when the team is a contender.
- Coaching philosophy that has not had proven success (ie: recent cup win)

You can sell success or hope. But hope requires trust. To build trust you have to say what you are going to do and do it, and stick to your plan for more than 6 months.

Sorry, a vague plan of "rebuild" is not enough.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I found the parallels interesting, although I think Dan Snyder is worth more.

Everybody hates the Redskins, and nobody’s even trying to hide it anymore

Fans aren’t even mad anymore. They just don’t care. And for the long-term health of this franchise, that’s a far more treacherous state. Anger means there’s passion. Anger can turn back to love with some well-chosen new players and well-timed big wins. But apathy? Apathy kills. If you stop caring about the Redskins, it’s going to take something phenomenal — something that may be beyond the capacity of the current organization — to bring you back.

Snyder gets — and deserves — the most vicious criticism from the Washington faithful; he managed to snare a golden goose and yet still keeps dropping the eggs, two decades in. Snyder has systematically managed to offend, upset, fire or run off every possible ally except team president Bruce Allen. His teams have been the very definition of mediocre — 8 wins or fewer — for 15 of his 20 years.

“All Snyder has done as an NFL owner is freeload off massive revenue streams he didn’t help create,” the Washington Post’s Sally Jenkins writes, “while breeding fan ill will.” The litany of abuses both small and large, from price-gouging on game day ($40 for parking?) to filing suit against season-ticket holders, has left fans disgusted and, worse, uninterested.

Jenkins again, on how local governments ought to regard Snyder:

To give a single tax dollar to Snyder given his track record would be absolute madness, and anyone who even contemplates it should be turned out of office for malpractice. If Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan and various members of the D.C. Council continue to play footsie with Snyder, they will get burned, become just another in a long line of people who came to the Redskins with good reputations and left as damaged goods.​

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
To retain what little faith I have: re-signing both Stone and Duchene to long-term deals.

To restore the faith I've lost: either Melnyk is visited by three ghosts, resulting in him drastically changing his ways, or #MelnykOut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad