What is the minimum to retain/restore your faith in the team?

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Leaving Melnyk out of the conversation, and assuming trades will happen, what is the minimum return you'd accept to retain or restore your faith that the Senators will rebuild properly?

For example, sign Stone (8x8). Trade Dzingle, Duchene and receive two first rounders 2019 between 15 and 25 and nothing else. Bring in a coaching staff you respect. Would that be enough?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
If Melnyk would simply leave himself out of the conversation, that would be amazing. Please have him go enjoy Barbados and stay away from the team. No more videos. No more asinine tirades. Just stay out of the media altogether.
After that, get the GM some help. Dorion talks too much and skates around every question. He needs an experienced hockey person to help shoulder the load.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
1) Never having to see/hear from Melnyk again
2) Entirely new management
3) Entirely new coaching staff (not scrap heap hires)
4) A financial commitment from ownership to spend in the middle of the pack, not as a cap floor team.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Assuming Melnyk is not going anywhere.

Get rid of the whole coaching staff all of them.
Get a new GM or at least someone to help him. Dorion is decent scout but not great on the contract end of things.
Need a young former player/coach that can motivate and create a good culture.

I really think Boucher has done damage to the team and is not the most approachable coach.
Seems to have communication issues with his players.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I’d agree with everything everyone posted. I’ll add this.

Get me Jon Cooper from Tampa to coach this team.

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
Signing Stone and Duchene. Signing them would prove some sort of indication of ambition to get somewhere.

Won't happen though.

Reactions: Liliaceae

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
For me personally, if we are leaving MelnykOut out of it, it would be:

1. A financial commitment to our top 2 UFAs (Duchene and Stone)
2. A financial commitment to a downtown rink.
3. Scorched earth Hockey ops Department. (Alfie! Alfie! Alfie!)
4. An apology!!!

I don't see a single one of these happening though..

Reactions: Peptic Balcers

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
1. Re-sign Dzinger, Duchene and Stone.
2. Make literally any hockey decision where the sole purpose isn't to save the owner money
3. Find a way to make my dad come home
4. Have a goalie

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If we're leaving Melnyk out of it, then a new GM and Coaching Staff. I have no faith in Dorion making personnel decisions.

Since they aren't likely to do that, then Stone AND Duchene extensions along with Ceci being dealt would be a start.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Deal on arena downtown or hitting the cap ceiling with multiple large contracts.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Right now? Sign both Stone and Duchene.

Everything else is whitenoise or longterm.

The crossroads is retaining our top talent. If we can't, what's the point?!

Reactions: topshelf15

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
If Melnyk would simply leave himself out of the conversation, that would be amazing. Please have him go enjoy Barbados and stay away from the team. No more videos. No more asinine tirades. Just stay out of the media altogether.
After that, get the GM some help. Dorion talks too much and skates around every question. He needs an experienced hockey person to help shoulder the load.

It's funny everyone says this but then bashes him the last while as he refuses to talk to media.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Free parking. Such an insult to drive all the way out there in traffic,
Pay, and walk 1.5 KM in the winter to wait inline at the arena to get in.

I really believe the inefficiencies of going to a poorly run building with a money grab is at the root of the losers mentality that has become the Ottawa Senators

Last edited:
Reactions: johnnyutah

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
It's funny everyone says this but then bashes him the last while as he refuses to talk to media.
Not me. He can happily take money baths all day long with his millions on a beach in front of his royal mansion in Barbados. Just stop talking to the media. He doesn't have to talk to the media. And frankly it doesn't matter what he would say, you can't please everybody. His statements are always erratic and just create chaos.
What ever happened to the elusive and eccentric recluse billionaire? That is an definitely an underrated persona. If I had billions, that's straight up what I would be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad