OT: What is the 2nd most popular team in the GTA?

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
If this question was asked when the raps were deep in the playoffs as well, it would be alot closer

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
when raps were bad, fan support was still there and love was still there

jays are full of bandwagon fans

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Maybe the Jays might be the hottest ticket in town at this moment, but as a sport basketball is easily more popular in the GTA.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
jays #1. Leafs #2. Rapt- no wait, Leafs #1, FC #2, Jays #3... sorry, Leafs #1, Raps #2 ----

....ah f- it.

They're ALL from T.O.

We're fans of ALL of them, cheer on all of them - there's the answer.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
why are people so sure leafs have more fan support than the raptors?

we're talking about just the GTA, and the gta is diverse...i know that white ppl, brown ppl, black ppl, and asians love the raptors

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

we're talking about just the GTA, and the gta is diverse...i know that white ppl, brown ppl, black ppl, and asians love the raptors

i know different ethnicities who love the Leafs, what's your point?

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
its true lol, if your talking about just the GTA, the raps actually rival the leafs

its closer than some would think, raps have a HUGE fanbase

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Right now, the Jays probably are more popular, but even then it's just by a bit, which speaks to the brand power of the Leafs. Even though they are a last place club, the Leafs still get amazing ratings and attendance numbers.

When each team are at their best, I would rank fan support as:

1. Leafs

2. Jays

3. Raptors

The Leafs blow the Raptors' ratings out of the water. I mean, it's not even remotely close. I wish it were different, but it's not. I do agree that it seems the Raptors' have a very diverse fanbase. The Leafs do too, but I would say a greater number of the Raptors' fanbase is composed of minorities, compared to the Leafs.

Also, unfortunately, it doesn't seem a lot of older people watch or follow basketball, which is another reason the Raptors are less popular. The Raptors' fanbase by far is more younger than either the Jays or Raptors.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Only reason jays hype is higher right now is because of the part of the season they are at. Leafs are and will be #1 for a long time and the jays are 2nd by a decent amount too with raps a strong #3.

I like TFC, but I think it's pretty obvious that they don't have a massive following despite being one of the best teams in the league. As for the Argos, most people prefer the NFL or even the ti-cats.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Jays > Leafs right now in terms of popularity. When the Leafs are contenders, this won't be close but right now the Jays are the only contending team that Toronto has. Raptors don't count because they play in a weak conference...they can make the ECF all they want but won't get past Cleveland. Whereas, the Jays legitimately have a shot at the World Series.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
its true lol, if your talking about just the GTA, the raps actually rival the leafs

its closer than some would think, raps have a HUGE fanbase

In the GTA, I agree that it is closer than some people think, but there is still a gap.

If the Leafs were to make it to the conference finals, I think you would see more hype than what we witnessed last spring for the Raps, and I say that as a die hard Raps fan since day one.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
jays right now, but only cause they're successful. couple of years ago skydome was more than half empty every night whereas raptors games were full regardless of how bad the team was.

answer will change depending on the time of year imo

One plays in a park that holds 50,000
One plays in a arena that holds sub 20,000

D3ADLY

Jan 8, 2009
Twitter @AgentDeadly
Jays- Crazy attendance through out the season is the proof- Semi Finalist last year and maybe this year
Raps- Sold out every game- Jurassic Park is proof of fans support- Semi Finalist last year
Leafs- I am a big hockey guy but even at the moment i know leafs are not as popular in GTA as the other 2 teams.
TFC- Star power can really change that but still hasn't grown on me.
Argos- No interest in CFL from my end just can't get behind a 6 team league.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
jays right now, but only cause they're successful. couple of years ago skydome was more than half empty every night whereas raptors games were full regardless of how bad the team was.

answer will change depending on the time of year imo

not really a fair comparison since the dome seats 50k vs the ACC seating 20k. Add to that, the Jays play twice as many games

Mad Brills*

A winning leafs team will make the raptors seem like childs play.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The Leafs are arguably the second most popular team in the GTA now. The Jays own the city and the rest of the country.

However, I expect the Leafs to reclaim their status as top dog once the team turns the corner with all the bright young prospects in the fold.

This exactly

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
In the GTA, I agree that it is closer than some people think, but there is still a gap.

If the Leafs were to make it to the conference finals, I think you would see more hype than what we witnessed last spring for the Raps, and I say that as a die hard Raps fan since day one.

I'll go one better than that. I KNOW that the Leafs would get more hype than the Raptors. This city would probably have more hype for the Leafs in the conference finals than hype for the Raptors winning the whole thing.

As for the Jays. The 2015 Jays were probably the most popular team in Toronto since the 1993 Leafs. The 2015-2016 Jays as a whole are still probably the most popular team in Toronto since that time. A lot has to do with the 20 year long absence from baseball relevance, the savior mentality of this group, and the plethora of superstar names. It's easy to get behind a group like that, especially when the 2015 team as a whole was so dominant, and when there was a sudden turnaround in fortunes to win essentially every game for the last two months of the season. It was also a nice nostalgia kick for anyone over 30, just like with the 1993 Leafs. It was/is a perfect storm and something that everyone should savor right now in the moment, because we may never see this feeling again. And if winning were ever to become routine for the Jays over the next few years, this euphoria will eventually subside. Their time is now.

But when all is equal, when the Leafs are contenders in hockey the way the Jays currently are in baseball, when they're led by a franchise player like Matthews, I don't see anyone topping the Leafs.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I think the Leafs have to win some fans back
I stopped watching when they sucked so bad with Kessel, Phaneuf et al. Never disliked a Leaf team so much. No heart, floaters, quitters
I started watxching again when they cleaned house, but not with the same enthusiasm

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
The Leafs are #1 no contest

#2 is the Raptors no doubt. Popularity isn't only judged when a team is successful but also when the team struggles. When the Raptors were struggling, they were still middle of the pack in attendance. Compared to the Jays, they were 24th, 25th, 26th in attendance when they were struggling.

The Jays are doing well right now because they're contenders. Period. Everyone will jump off the bandwagon when the team is down

The Jays have the advantage of being Canada's team + no direct competition like the Raptors do but answering the question of within GTA, it's Leafs #1, Raptors #2 and Jays a distant #3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad