OT: What is the 2nd most popular team in the GTA?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Eh, TV ratings might be a bit misleading with how many people have gotten rid of cable...I don't know anyone in my age range in this city that still bothers with cable. Raps are definitely still in third place but they're becoming increasingly popular with the younger generation (<30ish). Almost all my friends (25-30 range) watch Raps and Leafs pretty equally, and none of us really have cable. Leafs and Jays definitely have the >40 crowd on lock though, and that's the group that gets you TV ratings.

Everyone touts the Raptors popularity among younger people and minority groups but nobody can support the claim with any data. All three measures for online content show the same thing TV numbers do

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Jays are #2, but I expect the number of fans to drop during these rebuilding years. Like many on here have said, most of those fans are bandwagon fans.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
1. Leafs
2. Raptors
3. Jays
4. Toronto Fc

Future

1. Raptors
2. Toronto FC
3. Blue jays
4. Leafs

Considering an aging population and changing demographics it's hard for me to see soccer and basketball not take over. MLS will see hyper growth, NBA is in that phase right now

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Well obviously it's a matter of opinion unless there is statistical proof. I think Toronto people are bandwagoners in general (Dispite leaf fans) in respects to other Toronto teams success. If blue Jay's are doing well I think they would be #2 but they having been crapping the bed so they dropped in popularity and hype for now. Raptors are killing it and I think moved in the #2 bracket with respects to hype and popularity as of today.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
1. Leafs
2. Raptors
3. Jays
4. Toronto Fc

Future

1. Raptors
2. Toronto FC
3. Blue jays
4. Leafs

Considering an aging population and changing demographics it's hard for me to see soccer and basketball not take over. MLS will see hyper growth, NBA is in that phase right now
If you really think the Leafs will ever be over taken by TFC you are really out to lunch. The gap might shrink some but the Leafs have such a stranglehold on the top spot and maintained it while being god awful for entire childhoods for a large amount of the population....if the Leafs stay relevant and competitive for years to come it won't be remotely close. Like not even a blip on the radar. You are about as far off in general as you could get though.

Reactions: Ratboy

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
When the Jays are winning, they compete for #1 with the Leafs. When the Raptors are winning, they compete with the Jays for #2.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
1. Leafs
2. Raps
3. TFC
4. Jays

that like 10k/gamefrom the Jays really showed the fans commitment.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Everyone touts the Raptors popularity among younger people and minority groups but nobody can support the claim with any data. All three measures for online content show the same thing TV numbers do

You really don't think there has been a shift towards the Raptors in popularity? It wouldn't be surprising if within the next 10 years they are firmly entrenched at #2 in this city, and within the next 20 years they will giving the Leafs a good run for their money.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You really don't think there has been a shift towards the Raptors in popularity? It wouldn't be surprising if within the next 10 years they are firmly entrenched at #2 in this city, and within the next 20 years they will giving the Leafs a good run for their money.

No I don't. In fact giving the Leafs a run for their money is laughable. Especially when the Leafs appear to be headed for their best decade is many decades.

You should already see a shift in TV numbers if this was the case. The Raps get National attention when they go deep in the playoffs. But that's just bandwagon jumping. There's been little impact to the game to game numbers which shows how unpopular the sport and team are. They have a good core of fans that will pack the SBA every game, but the popularity is not close to the other sports I mentioned.

People have been saying since the Vince Carter era that the young demos and non whites were going to cause a shift in popularity. Say you were 10 years old when Vince came to town and made you a basketball fan. You would be 30 now, likely have your own home, maybe a small family. You have a Raps team that has been an Eastern contender now for half a decade. You would think this would be prime viewing for you. But the TV numbers don't support any shift from baseball or hockey to basketball. The league that has grown in that time period in this market is the NFL.

So now people are making the same claims with this era of Raps teams that the "kids" and minorities are going to cause a shift because they are secretly watching games on their 7 inch phones instead of their parents 70 inch TV. Even though no metrics indicate this behaviour is happening. In 20 years baseball and hockey will still be the main sports in this market.

The only way that changes is if we get an NFL team. Then I could see that team ousting the Jays as #2. Leafs nobody is touching in our lives.

Reactions: the squared circle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad