OT: What is the 2nd most popular team in the GTA?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
We all know that the Leafs are still #1 in the GTA, but which professional team is second right now in terms of sheer number of fans? Probably Blue Jays, that would be my guess. Only in the Toronto area. Not Canada wide.

Last edited:

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
It's clearly the Jays. They have a market that's pretty much 34 million strong. They are Canada's team and for this reason, it wouldn't surprise me if they did have a bigger fan base than the Leafs.

Reactions: Beaumaris

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
The past year has made it clear: it's the Jays by a wide margin. The entire city goes gaga over a contending Jays team. While the Raptors weren't as great contenders as the Jays, you just knew it wasn't the same feeling in the air- but even so, Raptor support was nothing to sneeze at.

When all 3 teams are contending, it's the Leafs by a mile, then the Jays by another mile, and then the Raptors.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
The leafs are #2 now. Canada wide it's not at all close. Leafs have taken a big step down. They've missed an entire generation of fans. I have heard stories of my friends kids being embarrassed to wear leaf stuff to school. It's hard to convince my son to watch and he'll watch any sport.

Sorry, I know your asking specifically in regards to the city only, but I thought I'd mention this. Not sure what the tempo for the leafs is like in Toronto but it's fallen off dramatically outside the city. It's annoying defending them.

Reactions: Beaumaris

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
To be honest it feels like the Jays are #1 even when only talking about Toronto right now.

Raptors are #1 by a mile when it comes to social media popularity.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Raptors had a HUGE following even though most people knew they had no chance, but this wave of Jays support beats it from what I have seen. Due in part to the fact there is a realistic chance they could actually win the WS.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I would argue that the leafs are currently #3. Still bigger than TFC. But the Jays are #1, Raptors are #2 based on last season and Leafs are #3. TFC comes in #4. Argos #10. Not sure who even cares about the Argos anymore lol. I watch more Marlies games and Mississauga Steelehead/Oshawa Generals games than Argos

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
No brainer that it's the Jays.

Leafs will always be #1.

Every other Toronto team that is "Canada's Team" is a bandwagon team.

Right now they're good, so that's good for sport in our city. But the fanbase doesn't have the staying power or support through an entire season like the Leafs do.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
the jays have fans all across canada...if you factor in ontario, the leafs win for sure...but if its just the GTA, imo the raptors are right there with the leafs in terms of die hard fans and support

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The leafs are #2 now. Canada wide it's not at all close. Leafs have taken a big step down. They've missed an entire generation of fans. I have heard stories of my friends kids being embarrassed to wear leaf stuff to school. It's hard to convince my son to watch and he'll watch any sport.

Sorry, I know your asking specifically in regards to the city only, but I thought I'd mention this. Not sure what the tempo for the leafs is like in Toronto but it's fallen off dramatically outside the city. It's annoying defending them.

I always call a major audible on the play here. because of the Jays as you cite.

I doubt very much the Leafs lost an entire generation of fans. they're just not appealing to the fans. (very similar to how for 20 years even for meh seasons - the jays weren't appealing to the fans). like 2013 clearly showed - when the leafs are competitive and appear to be good, people WILL flock to them. and when you're a constant contender, you'll constantly have the numbers. the leafs "aren't cool" right now. when they are, everyone will remember they were a fan.

(and i've lived a lot of places out of the city so..)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Jays have captured more of the casual fans than the Raptors have. I think Raptors (and basketball in general) have more die-hards among my generation (mid to late 20's), but the Jays have much more overall support.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
jays right now, but only cause they're successful. couple of years ago skydome was more than half empty every night whereas raptors games were full regardless of how bad the team was.

answer will change depending on the time of year imo

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The Leafs are arguably the second most popular team in the GTA now. The Jays own the city and the rest of the country.

However, I expect the Leafs to reclaim their status as top dog once the team turns the corner with all the bright young prospects in the fold.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Jays are the easy #2 right now.

I'm not going to say the Leafs have fallen from the #1. They've taken a hit by being god awful for so long, but still holding their spot.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
It's arguable that the Jays have superseded the Leafs as the #1 team in the GTA right now. Toronto has always been a good baseball town when they've got something to cheer for. The Leafs used up a lot of their goodwill the past decade, and when you flat out tell people you plan on being bad (as necessary as it was/is and regardless of how die-hards support it) you're going to have a loss of interest.

Raptors are a close #3 regardless of who's 1 or 2. Raptors fever is fantastic when they're in the playoffs, but there are more age 40+ people that care more about the Jays and Leafs than they do the Raptors who were created just over 20 years ago.

TFC I'd say is 4th, more younger people care about soccer and the sport translates better with Torontos diversity. 5th would be the Argos, followed by the Rock at 6th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad