What is Plan B if the Senators don't sign Duchene or Stone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
He gone. I mean a bunch of us had predicted this for rational reasons, but it still sucks.

The attached prediction was going to be that they back up the money truck to Mark Stone and make him Captain.

I'm thinking they are going to offer him $9-9.5 million a year x 8 years. Does he sign? I actually don't know.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
He gone. I mean a bunch of us had predicted this for rational reasons, but it still sucks.

The attached prediction was going to be that they back up the money truck to Mark Stone and make him Captain.

I'm thinking they are going to offer him $9-9.5 million a year x 8 years. Does he sign? I actually don't know.
It’s too early to discuss this.

Melgene Eunyk

Mar 29, 2015
Pretty sure it's been alluded to in the past by both players that they want to see what the other does before committing. If the sens won't budge on 8 mil for duchene, I can't see stone taking kindly to that.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
"If I dont have an answer for them..." hmm, slightly worrying there. So he has something, possibly THE offer, or whether he will sign if the money is right i guess.

Yeah, that, to me, is the worst line. Gulp

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Honestly if we can't retain Duchene, what's the point in keeping Stone or any other decent player. We weren't a good team with Karlsson and Duchene in our lineup...how low can we go at this point. The idea of being a bottom tier team and the hope that future picks just work out is such a lame strategy imo. It hasn't worked out that well for many teams in the past besides Pittsburgh when they were gifted Crosby.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I think that 8x8 is a fair starting point for Duchene, but we all know this isn't about the money

Starting point is key. Doesn't sound like it went beyond that once again. I seriously doubt if this team really knows how to negotiate with UFAs...are they making up the difference with stupid shit like bigger parking spaces that Dorion measures himself?

Reactions: Gesus

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Then why this whole pretend show of trying to sign Duchene, Karlsson and Stone. There's no point in even starting talks if you aren't making competitive offers.

They need to man up and stop lying to everyone.

Trading Karlsson set the motion for this rebuild, so I won't get into that.

Their offer to Duchene is very fair; similar to what Johansen got from Preds. I wouldn't mind trading Duchene, he doesn't fit the timeline management has established for this team to be a contender.

Stone needs to be signed though (unless he wants to move on). You can't keep trading away guys once they hit their peaks and Stone has all the characteristics (on ice) to be captain of the team.

Reactions: Variable26

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I'm sure the Avs really appreciate it.

This franchise is a black hole for hope and optimism as long as Melnyk is around.

A little too pessimistic man. Look I'm not a fan of Melnyk or Dorion either, but the team has made plenty of appearances in the Playoffs in the past few decades. That's not bad compared to other teams.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Their offer to Duchene is very fair; similar to what Johansen got from Preds. I wouldn't mind trading Duchene, he doesn't fit the timeline management has established for this team to be a contender.

Stone needs to be signed though (unless he wants to move on). You can't keep trading away guys once they hit their peaks and Stone has all the characteristics (on ice) to be captain of the team.
Johansen was an RFA with a salary cap of 75 million

Duchene is a UFA with a salary cap of 83 million

Not to mention the season Duchene is having.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Its not a fair offer if its not market value in the current market and taking ufa status in to account, Johansson is not a great comparable and its fairly irrelevant at this point. They know damn well he's not going to accept that. Don't bother if you can't pony up, there's just no point other than them trying to pull one over on the fans. The Ottawa Senators don't get to decide players have to take discounts and then pretend they made real offers because they made "a fair offer", just be a man, fold your chips and trade them and avoid this whole show they've tried to put on.

As far as Stone goes, I hope he leaves too.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Duchene is having a "contract" season, I don't think it's a good idea to give him anything over 8.5/aav.
You said their offer was fair. It isn't. Wanting or not wanting to pay him makes no difference to an offer being fair.

He's a year older than Stone, if he doesn't fit the timeline neither does Stone.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
You said their offer was fair. It isn't. Wanting or not wanting to pay him makes no difference to an offer being fair.

Their offer is fair. Duchene is not worth anything over 8.5. Asset management would dictate trading him while his stock is high. Obviously the UFA status hurts his value but I don't want a 33-year old Duchene making 9-10M (your idea of a "fair" offer) playing for the Senators 5 years from now.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Their offer is fair. Duchene is not worth anything over 8.5. Asset management would dictate trading him while his stock is high. Obviously the UFA status hurts his value but I don't want a 33-year old Duchene making 9-10M (your idea of a "fair" offer) playing for the Senators 5 years from now.

Asset management went out the window when they traded a large chunk of their future away for Duchene. The only reasonable follow-through was to retain his services long term. Anything else is just spin.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
My idea of "fair" is the markets idea of "fair".

Just because you make an offer of what you think is "fair" (obviously it's not, as stated by the fact Duchene is gone if they don't up their offer...),doesn't make it a market offer. His market price dictates what's fair, not your opinion of it. His UFA status is what drives a price up, obviously.

Reactions: Gesus

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Actually listening to him, he did say "I have really enjoyed my time here, it would be great if it works out".

Lip service or genuine, who knows

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
My idea of "fair" is the markets idea of "fair".

Just because you make an offer of what you think is "fair" (obviously it's not, as stated by the fact Duchene is gone if they don't up their offer...),doesn't make it a market offer. His market price dictates what's fair, not your opinion of it.

Okay remember what you're saying now. I'd like to wager that whoever gives Duchene over 9M/year will start regretting that decision two-three years from now. "Market price" sure works well for teams who buy into it during free agency...

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Asset management went out the window when they traded a large chunk of their future away for Duchene. The only reasonable follow-through was to retain his services long term. Anything else is just spin.

Hindsight. And they would be retaining a portion of the futures they gave up by trading him now.
Obviously the 1st rounder stings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad