What is Plan B if the Senators don't sign Duchene or Stone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Getting back assets close to what we paid for Duchene is best we can hope for. The pick for this year is sad but so is the GM. Salvage the situation and get best we can. We know team low-balled him on offer and with the rebuild did not make a competitive offer.

I am okay with that cause a long term deal on Duchene is not going to help when it finally gets it's act together in 2025.....lol

Love Stone but I think he would be a fool to stick around here. Hard to keep motivated knowing management is working against icing best team every year. Stone is a good player and deserves better then what the Sens will offer him in terms of support over the course of a contract he would sign.

Send Andy and Ceci off if their is a decent offer for them also.

Burn it to the ground! Load up on picks and assets!

EM's plan to have 15-17 new players/rookies for next season will be right on track! See they have a plan , we just did not believe it! Ha,Ha

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
So if your income is high, you can decide to shop at Whole Foods, and pay their prices, but if your job is such that you can't afford to shop there, then you shop at No Frills, as their prices are within your budget.

Duchene knows he'll get "Whole Food" offers from large Market teams, when he becomes an UFA, and knows that Ottawa can only offer him a "No Frills" extension.

The Offers from a NHL team, reflects the revenues of their market.

I think that is an overly simplistic view. Sure, teams with larger player budgets can spend more on their teams as a whole. But, there is nothing stopping Ottawa from offering what any other team can offer. There is a cap on how much one player can make and it's well below the cap floor.

The decision whether or not to sign any player to any amount therefore is not solely based on budget factors but also a strategic decision on how to build a team.

Is a team with two players making 10 mil and the rest making less able to compete any better/worse than a team with two 8 mil players and the extra 4 mil spread over the rest?

Just for reference, Ottawa's projected cap hit this years is 72 mil. When Chicago won the cup in 2015 they had a cap hit of 71 mil, including Toews and Kane at 10 mil.

Of course it's harder and you have to make less mistakes on all your other players while hitting home runs on your elite players. But it's not impossible, and IMO when your in a small market where revenues are directly tied to player budget, not having stars to draw fans to the games, sell merchandise, etc, if a bad business decision.

Because of the above, and until I see proof otherwise, I am still left to wonder if not signing our stars has nothing to do with team revenue and everything to do with the lack of financial stability of the franchise because it does not have enough operating capital to cover short-term loses even though the long-term revenues will cover the short-term overages. (year-year loses, lockout bonus, front-loaded contracts, etc). I would love to be wrong, but it cannot be ruled out as a possibility until I see the team take on risk that could result in these types of loses. ie: ownership does not have enough cashflow to float the team through loses until revenues cover the loses, even it is an almost guaranteed that the revenues will cover the loses.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Just burn it to the ground already. From the ashes the young phoenixes will learn to fly and terrorize. And then be auctioned off when the time is right.

Go Sens Go!

Reactions: Gesus

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Just burn it to the ground already. From the ashes the young phoenixes will learn to fly and terrorize. And then be auctioned off when the time is right.

Go Sens Go!

If only they allowed teams to trade players for cash like they did in the past. Melnyk would have a huge yard sale. He would probably sell off the first round pick every year to the highest bidder.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If only they allowed teams to trade players for cash like they did in the past. Melnyk would have a huge yard sale. He would probably sell off the first round pick every year to the highest bidder.
Then he would cry that the fans arent coming even more lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad