What is Malkin missing from being the best player of his generation?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Crosby had higher PPG seasons then Malkin at their peaks and he continues that trend this season. Better in the playoffs as well when looked at in their entirety. On top of being the better offensive player Crosby's clearly is the better all-around player. Malkin is largely one-dimensional. That small crack in greatness between the two becomes a crevice when factoring in play without the puck.

As of now, Crosby is a top 10-15 hockey player of all-time while Malkin is around the top-50. They are simply in different tiers.
Your comparing PPGs at 41 games and 75 games. Malkins PPG is much more impressive. His 2012 season is better than any of Crosby’s.

In its entirety? Weird way of giving Crosby credit. Who won the Smythe in ‘09? Practically gift wrapping Crosby’s first cup. He then lead them in goals and points in ‘17. Crosby hasn’t been “better”, if anything it’s a wash.

Well ya because Crosby’s career has been greater. But in terms of talent and skill, Malkin arguably is better. Crosby of course has been way more consistent and at a higher level, Malkins injuries certainly didn’t help that.

Reactions: Randyne

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
ur obsession over crosby took over again, its not about crosby, he does not need to be better than crosby to captain a team.

him staying on the pens hurt his legacy and development. of course now its arsine to even compare him in a leading role to some1 who has been the captain for 10+years. that is my point, that chance now is gone... he should have switched teams maybe after his first cup when he won the smythe.

he would be a god in edmonton, toronto, new york, montreal etc.

So he is missing leadership on his resume? You don't need a C on your jersey to be considered a good leader. Not taking bad penalties and not having defensive letdowns would help in this regard. He may have been the "man" on another team in offensive production but I doubt he wears the "C".

To the larger point of his production being better if he played on a different team. You can say the exact same thing about Crosby who, like Malkin, seemed to step up when the other #1C on the team was injured and/or underproducing.

To insinuate that a professional team paying a player millions of dollars would do anything to hinder his development is grossly naive.

There is an equally compelling argument to be made that Malkin thrived in an environment where Crosby was the "man" and was going to take the brunt of the media attention and criticism.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Crosby had higher PPG seasons then Malkin at their peaks and he continues that trend this season. Better in the playoffs as well when looked at in their entirety. On top of being the better offensive player Crosby's clearly is the better all-around player. Malkin is largely one-dimensional. That small crack in greatness between the two becomes a crevice when factoring in play without the puck.

As of now, Crosby is a top 10-15 hockey player of all-time while Malkin is around the top-50. They are simply in different tiers.

Good post.

The "anything to bring Crosby down a notch" crowd plays a big role in pushing the Malkin narrative. There are tons of examples of two Top 3 - 5 players of their era playing together without any underlying "what if" narratives.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Doesn’t help that Crosby was better in 3 out of 4 of their runs to the finals
Malkin was much better in 09 and he was arguably better in 16-17. Also in 15-16 he finished 1 point behind Crosby in playoff scoring.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Not a lot. Let's put it this way: take away Crosby and Ovechkin then Malkin has a pretty good claim to be the best forward drafted from 1991 to 2014.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I agree it’s a stretch to say, but still we never know. His PPG is higher with Crosby out of The lineup. Either way both benefit from eachother.

I wouldn’t say Crosby or Malkin have the better of anything. It’s all about chemistry. Both have played with inferior linemates and did extremely well. I don’t think it should matter at all.

My point was a healthier Malkin would make thing a lot more close to Crosby and Ovechkin in terms of production. Especially with the way Ovechkins point totals dropped, a healthy Malkin very well could have been up there multiple times with Crosby, perhaps even slightly ahead in the scoring race. Who knows though, but we have seen a Malkin, even as recent as a year ago, best Crosby in the scoring race. He’s fully capable of it, same goes for Crosby.

He’s second to Crosby in PPG for a reason. He deserves that recognition, all I’m saying is between the two...it’s closer than the stats and awards show.

i agree, Crosby and Ovechkin being healthier does swing everything in their favor and rightfully so.

All I’m saying is people have been using Malkins lack of top offensive stat finishes, and his lack of hardware without some
Major context. But again I’m not saying Malkin gets the benefit of the doubt in terms of what he could have done, but he still had a lot of evidence of what he could have done if healthy. It’s a shame though that it has affected him so much.

debatable. We never really saw Peak Crosby play out. All we have is shortened seasons, Ovechkin at his peak was a beast and his did last longer, but like I said, Peak Malkin most likely has the best single season out of both of them. It wasn’t long, and yes Crosby was injured.....but let’s not forget how much more dominant he was compared to the other two. Ovechkins peak was better than both IMO, but I’ll always see Malkin as having the single best peak season post lockout.
Wait what? I think I'm confused but are you saying Crosby was much more dominant than OV and Malkin at his peak, but OV at his peak was the best?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Wait what? I think I'm confused but are you saying Crosby was much more dominant than OV and Malkin at his peak, but OV at his peak was the best?
Sorry for the confusion. I’m saying at their VERY peak season, I would give Malkin the top spot....his 2012 season was(IMO) better than any of the other two. But in terms of overall peak that was more consistent, Ovi has the best one out of the three(08-10).

Crosby would have had a superior one than both but injuries plagued him. The one thing he has over the other two is consistency....maybe not at the very top, but close to it.

Reactions: varank

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry for the confusion. I’m saying at their VERY peak season, I would give Malkin the top spot....his 2012 season was(IMO) better than any of the other two. But in terms of overall peak that was more consistent, Ovi has the best one out of the three(08-10).

Crosby would have had a superior one than both but injuries plagued him. The one thing he has over the other two is consistency....maybe not at the very top, but close to it.
ahh okay gotcha!

Reactions: GreatGonzo

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He's not as good of a goal scorer as Ovechkin and not as good of an overall player as Crosby. He's one of the best players from his generation, but he's most definitely not at the top.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Health and consistency. He shows flashes of brilliance equal to and sometimes above Crosby and Ovechkin. Injuries are some of the story, but at times he really does look disinterested. Still, he turns it on when it counts (I'm thinking playoffs here), so he's welcome on the Habs anytime.

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
I think it’s silly people are using the whole “who’s the first line center though?!” Against Malkin. Crosby came into the league as an 18 year old Canadien prodigy, Malkin....a talented Russian with high hopes. Crosby was going to be the number one center regardless, and instead of Malkin getting egotistical, he accepted it and did what he did. When it came time to fill Crosby’s shoes as the top center, he silenced all critics.

I see it as the same as Sakic and Forsberg. Both fully capable of carrying a top line, both fully capable of achieving great things. But who was better? Many days Sakic, many say Forsberg. Either way Forsberg proved himself the same way Malkin did, and that’s that he doesn’t need Crosby(for Forsberg, Sakic) to be a top player in the league.
Yep. Malkin in the playoffs was amazing and frightening as a fan of an opposing team.

I sometimes wonder how the NHL media and fans would think of Malkin if he was American or Canadian.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
2019 and people still pushing the Geno is better than Sid narrative.. unreal. Move on from 2009.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
2019 and people still pushing the Geno is better than Sid narrative.. unreal. Move on from 2009.
Who’s saying he’s better? He may have not been consistent enough, but at his best he was just as, if not better than Sid. You can act like Malkin hasn’t done anything since 2009, or you can look at his latest season just a year ago....or how he lead his team in points and goals a couple of years ago.....either way.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Canadian Birth certificate. If Geno was from Swift Current or Thunder Bay, they'd be talking about him like he was the Mark Messier v2.0. His skills are damn good and he has a real surly edge. Those skills are only appreciated if you wave the Maple Leaf in international competition.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Who’s saying he’s better? He may have not been consistent enough, but at his best he was just as, if not better than Sid. You can act like Malkin hasn’t done anything since 2009, or you can look at his latest season just a year ago....or how he lead his team in points and goals a couple of years ago.....either way.
Post 2009

Malkin
Art Ross
Hart
Lindsay
4th in scoring

Crosby
2 smythes
2 Richards
2 Lindsay’s
Hart (three 2nd place finishes)
Art Ross

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Post 2009

Malkin
Art Ross
Hart
Lindsay
4th in scoring

Crosby
2 smythes
2 Richards
2 Lindsay’s
Hart (three 2nd place finishes)
Art Ross
Once again, your point? Your still contradicting yourself with your “this isn’t 09!” Comment. Malkin, when healthy, was clearly dominant. He’s only played 70+ games twice since ‘09

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
He's not better than either but as most have said he's also not American or Canadian which doesn't help.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Canadian Birth certificate. If Geno was from Swift Current or Thunder Bay, they'd be talking about him like he was the Mark Messier v2.0. His skills are damn good and he has a real surly edge. Those skills are only appreciated if you wave the Maple Leaf in international competition.

2019 and people still pushing the nationality narrative? Move on from....... never?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad