What is Malkin missing from being the best player of his generation?

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by varank, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Jamin

Jamin Registered User

Being on the same team as Crosby he was always gonna be second fiddle. If he left as a UFA and helped a bad team turn around or made a good team great im sure it would be a better legacy. But there is always gonna be an 87 shaped shadow hanging over his career

2. mitchmagic

mitchmagic Registered User

Home Page:
    If we wasn't on the Penguins he'd have much more notoriety.

3. the mcdavid era

the mcdavid era Registered User

Malkin should ask for a trade. He's already won 3 cups with Crosby. It's time to cement his own independent legacy and compete on a different team.

4. Randyne

Randyne Registered User

Being 1C on any team even PIT

5. daver

daver Registered User

Home Page:
    Why isn't he #1C on the Pens then? This makes no sense.

6. CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash Registered User

Probably just being healthy. There were times that he looked better than Crosby. Maybe consistency issues too? I dont know everytime Ive seen him healthy he looks damn good to me.

7. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Haters gonna hate

That’s why Mark Messier is ranked ahead of Mario Lemieux...

Right??

varank and GreatGonzo like this.
  8. daver

daver Registered User

Home Page:
    And if we apply the same health to Crosby?

9. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Registered Derp

I agree it’s a stretch to say, but still we never know. His PPG is higher with Crosby out of The lineup. Either way both benefit from eachother.

I wouldn’t say Crosby or Malkin have the better of anything. It’s all about chemistry. Both have played with inferior linemates and did extremely well. I don’t think it should matter at all.
    My point was a healthier Malkin would make thing a lot more close to Crosby and Ovechkin in terms of production. Especially with the way Ovechkins point totals dropped, a healthy Malkin very well could have been up there multiple times with Crosby, perhaps even slightly ahead in the scoring race. Who knows though, but we have seen a Malkin, even as recent as a year ago, best Crosby in the scoring race. He’s fully capable of it, same goes for Crosby.

He’s second to Crosby in PPG for a reason. He deserves that recognition, all I’m saying is between the two...it’s closer than the stats and awards show.
    i agree, Crosby and Ovechkin being healthier does swing everything in their favor and rightfully so.

All I’m saying is people have been using Malkins lack of top offensive stat finishes, and his lack of hardware without some
    Major context. But again I’m not saying Malkin gets the benefit of the doubt in terms of what he could have done, but he still had a lot of evidence of what he could have done if healthy. It’s a shame though that it has affected him so much.
    debatable. We never really saw Peak Crosby play out. All we have is shortened seasons, Ovechkin at his peak was a beast and his did last longer, but like I said, Peak Malkin most likely has the best single season out of both of them. It wasn’t long, and yes Crosby was injured.....but let’s not forget how much more dominant he was compared to the other two. Ovechkins peak was better than both IMO, but I’ll always see Malkin as having the single best peak season post lockout.

Mean Gene likes this.
  10. CupsOverCash

I give the edge to Crosby because he has been the healthier of the two and like I said questionably above, maybe is more consistent as a player too? I dont watch him as much as Pens fans do.

11. hotpaws

hotpaws Registered User

Geno's top end is higher than Sid's but Sid consistently has played at his top end more than Geno imo . This and a Russian isn't going to get the same credit as a Canadian .

both are tremendous players and have been a pleasure to watch , Pens fans have been spoiled over the years having these two and Mario/Jagr to cheer for

BeSeeingYouSeattle likes this.
  12. daver

daver Registered User

Home Page:
    There is a significant gap in their careers PPGs so, yes, consistency on the offensive end to go with better all around play would put Crosby on top if both were healthier.

CupsOverCash likes this.
  13. CupsOverCash

Yea. I like Malkin a lot though. When he was on it was hard to find a better player.

14. Randyne

Randyne Registered User

Do not have a clue.
    After AR and 36P CS on the same year I'd make him 1C for next seasons.
    Being a leader inspires him.
    From one of his interview:
    -What you've learned from Crosby?
    -A bit of English maybe.

15. Patric Hornqvist

Patric Hornqvist Registered User

It's fine that you feel that way, but that has no bearing on why he's not the best player of his generation. Plenty of elite athletes are *******s, even if they're the best athletes of all time.

16. BeSeeingYouSeattle

BeSeeingYouSeattle Part time Leaf fan

He wouldn't be as good as a consistent Malkin. That poster was pretty clear with their meaning.

17. JudgeandJury

JudgeandJury Registered User

Pens have really not missed a beat when one or the other was out of the lineup:

With Crosby but without Malkin: 121 games, 69 wins, 42 reg losses, 10 OTL. Pens average 1.22 pts/gm = 100 pt season
    With Malkin but without Crosby: 120 games, 68 wins, 38 reg losses, 14 OTL. Pens average 1.25 pts/gm = 102.5 pt season

Average 82 game record from 2006-2019: 48 wins, 26 losses, 8 OTL = 104 points

Randyne likes this.
  18. Ovechclutch

Ovechclutch Registered User

Consistency and durability

19. GreatGonzo

I think it’s silly people are using the whole “who’s the first line center though?!” Against Malkin. Crosby came into the league as an 18 year old Canadien prodigy, Malkin....a talented Russian with high hopes. Crosby was going to be the number one center regardless, and instead of Malkin getting egotistical, he accepted it and did what he did. When it came time to fill Crosby’s shoes as the top center, he silenced all critics.

I see it as the same as Sakic and Forsberg. Both fully capable of carrying a top line, both fully capable of achieving great things. But who was better? Many days Sakic, many say Forsberg. Either way Forsberg proved himself the same way Malkin did, and that’s that he doesn’t need Crosby(for Forsberg, Sakic) to be a top player in the league.

wetcoast likes this.
  20. ffh

ffh Registered User

Being born in Canada.

21. daver

daver Registered User

Home Page:
    No, the poster questioned Malkin's ability to be consistently at, or close to his peak, unlike Crosby.

Their respective PPGs, Art Ross finsishes and PPG finishes clearly show Crosby to be more consistent and arguably better "at his best".

22. mackinnon29

mackinnon29 Registered User

Find a way to make Jack Johnson a decent d-man and not a black hole and he’s the best player of his generation.

23. GreatGonzo

Malkins 2012 season was nearly on par with Crosby’s 2011 and 2013 seasons. The only difference is Malkins season played out where as Crosby’s ended abruptly, making his PPG look superior.

24. kmart

kmart Registered User

ur obsession over crosby took over again, its not about crosby, he does not need to be better than crosby to captain a team.

him staying on the pens hurt his legacy and development. of course now its arsine to even compare him in a leading role to some1 who has been the captain for 10+years. that is my point, that chance now is gone... he should have switched teams maybe after his first cup when he won the smythe.

he would be a god in edmonton, toronto, new york, montreal etc.

Randyne likes this.
  25. blueandgoldguy

blueandgoldguy Registered User

Crosby had higher PPG seasons then Malkin at their peaks and he continues that trend this season. Better in the playoffs as well when looked at in their entirety. On top of being the better offensive player Crosby's clearly is the better all-around player. Malkin is largely one-dimensional. That small crack in greatness between the two becomes a crevice when factoring in play without the puck.

As of now, Crosby is a top 10-15 hockey player of all-time while Malkin is around the top-50. They are simply in different tiers.

Rydgar and Ageless like this.