What is Joe Colborne's potential?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Why stop at Thornton guys? I'm going to say it right now. Size, soft hands, good skating.

Joe Colborne is the next Mario Lemieux.

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
I have followed Colborne closely his whole career, watched him play every single game back in his Junior A days with the Kodiaks (worked with the team at the time) He was simply dominant at the AJHL level and was the driving force behind the the Kodiaks winning the doyle cup in his second season. But I was always under the impression that he was slightly overrated (many had him ranked 15 or better in 2008) due to the lesser competition in the AJHL as opposed to major junior.

He is a strong kid that is sure and he has decent hands for a big man. I had limited viewing of him during his time in college but have kept in touch and I know a few former junior scouts that have kept pretty close tabs on him. Most say he has taken a positive step forward but still lacks that top gear that is needed in the NHL. He is more of a playmaker but that is simply a mindset thing I think because he has a very good shot.

My biggest concern with Joe has always been his dedication to hockey. He loves the life style but certainly lacks the internal will that ALL great players must have to succeed. Hopefully it's just a maturity thing but I think concerns have been growing for a while now that he will never fully commit to the work that needs to be done in order to carve out a long career. His family is absolutely loaded so the financial side of the NHL is not something that is as important to him as 95% of other NHLers which many scouts will mention is a concern.

If he lives up to his potrential I see a 20-20 type power forward in Colborne but time will tell. I sent him a text to see what his thoughts are haven't heard back from him yet though...

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Haven't seen him personally, but sounds like he could use some more AHL seasoning, with a real focus on using his size. If he ever starts dominating down there, give him the call up. If he's someone who can eventually become a good 2nd line C then I'd be real happy. Hopefully Colborne and Kadri play on the same line on the Marlies (Colborne at 1st line C, Kadri at 1st line LW), I could see them potentially dominating the AHL together and gaining a tonne of confidence.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
If he can learn to skate better and can learn how to use his physical frame to his advantage, he's a great 2nd line center and a poor man's Thornton.

If not, he's a Blake Wheeler at best :(

Lunatik*

I've never understood asking about a players potential... because like any other player in the word if everything comes together they could be a star... this so called potential is more what pre-concieved expectations are

and I expect Colborne to be a solid #2 center

LeafsandSharksfan

Cero Miedo
Jan 19, 2010
McKegg-Kadri-D'Amigo
Ross-Colbourne-Caputi
Mueller-Ryan-Hanson
Olden-Carrick-Nicholls

Gardiner-Aulie
Blacker-Holzer
Mikus-Gyspers

Reimer
Rynnas

come-at-me-bro-come-at-me.jpg

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
I see some say borderline 1st liner and good 2nd liner. Would you say than he can become as good as Grabovski? Grabo seems to fall in that area. A true 2nd line Centre playing as good as some 1st line Centres on some teams.

Is this what we could see from Colborne? I'd be thrilled with that.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
He was the player I wanted instead of the draft pick, which resulted in bjugstad.

Personally, I think he will shape up to be a good second line center.

Toronto has two good center prospects now. Kadri and colborne, if both hit their potential Toronto's top six is set for years to come

Seguins Dragon*

Because of his wealthy family?

I hope this doesn't turn out like Comrie.

yeah, his family is loaded.

It's been a knock on him because he doesn't have to play hockey to be wealthy, he already is... so people believe there is no desire\drive for him to be the best he can as others, because he has a golden parachute already set up.

Personally I never was big on Colborne and would often put him in any trade proposals on the trade board :laugh:

I just don't like these "project" guys and the first 2 years I was excited about him, but after his lack luster season so far in AHL, I really went sour on him personally, and was hoping he would be dealt this year, before his value reaches Zack Hamill levels... in other words, not much.

I am glad he was moved with still preceived value... he could turn out, and mesh well with Phil being a pass first type guy... but I like players who are warriors and triumph in spite of lack of talent... Colborne seems the opposite, where he succeeds due to talent and in spite of lack of heart.

Who knows, he is still young.

Best of luck. I know I am more than happy with Kaberle... as long as he is resigned, I am fine with the price tag...other wise, major facepalm...lol

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Guessing a player's potential is such a pointless exercise. Just look at the range of replies in this thread.

I'm going to go with franchise centre

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Guessing a player's potential is such a pointless exercise. Just look at the range of replies in this thread.

I'm going to go with franchise centre

So you agree with me saying he'll be the next Mario Lemieux?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad