What is Joe Colborne's potential?

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
What kinda future does this guy have in the NHL?

I haven't followed him much, but from what I gather he seems to fit a Brian Boyle mold. Huge size, good hands for a big man, and did very well in the NCAA. I just have some concerns about his physicality and skating transitioning into the NHL game, but other than that he looks like a good prospect.

Leafssss

Jun 23, 2010
CANADA
Borderline 1st Line centre. Solid 2nd Line centre. But again, who knows he can become the next Joe Thornton.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Borderline 1st Line centre. Solid 2nd Line centre. But again, who knows he can become the next Joe Thornton.

Yeah, I'd say his max potential would be Thornton but a more likely scenario would be a great 2nd line center.

Hes pretty much Chiarelli's baby though, so I highly doubt be gets traded.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
IMO Blake Wheeler part two.

Both guys have impressive size, but a lot of lean muscle. They won't use their size to punish along the boards or open ice, but they'll use it to shield pucks away from defenders. Neither should be looked or considered to be power forwards; they don't have the mentality or brute strength.

They both move well for big men and have above average puck handling abilities. I'd say Colborne's on-ice vision and playmaking is better than Wheeler's while Wheeler's shot is better than Colborne's.

Wheeler and Colborne both articulate themselves well to the media and fans and show candor in their approach rather than the typical hockey player canned interview.

If you want to drink the cool-aid and cross your fingers for the best, Colborne is a Joe Thornton-lite. If you want to be more realistic about things, expect more of a Blake Wheeler mold: All the tools, will show glimpses of being something more here and there, but the production on the ice below average-to-average despite above average skills.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
No chance he ever becomes a 1st line center. He plays a college game, so 2nd line center/3rd on a good team.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
He's a good center but it's tough to say what kind of player he'll be in the NHL. He has a lot of the right tools: size, shot, great playmaking ability and has a real high potential but has always been considered a boom or bust project prospect. He's still probably 1-2 years away from being an NHL player.

I could see why Burke is interested in him and if Boston didn't have the center depth they have I'd be angry about losing him.

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
Nobody's mentioned Brian Boyle? I don't know jack chit about Colborne, but from what I've read they sound similar. Big body, decent skill, doesn't use his size, 2nd/3rd line center potential.

Watching Boyle last night (against the Kings) he showed a lot more confidence and felt more comfortable with his size. He showed flashes with the Kings, but wasn't consistent enough to keep a roster spot. He's now what 25, 26 years old and seems to finally get it.

Leafssss

Jun 23, 2010
CANADA
You gotta realize, he grew like 5 INCHES in like 2 years, he still hasn't adjusted to his size, give him time, and I promise you he'll be a great player with the skill he's already got.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Nobody's mentioned Brian Boyle? I don't know jack chit about Colborne, but from what I've read they sound similar. Big body, decent skill, doesn't use his size, 2nd/3rd line center potential.

Watching Boyle last night (against the Kings) he showed a lot more confidence and felt more comfortable with his size. He showed flashes with the Kings, but wasn't consistent enough to keep a roster spot. He's now what 25, 26 years old and seems to finally get it.
Haha - read the first post again. :P

Leafssss

Jun 23, 2010
CANADA
Any chance they move him to the wing?

If he's going to be a Leaf I doubt it. If it's as a Bruin, I can see him being both a centre and winger, sort of like Patrick Sharp.

Anyway, if he does infact become a Leaf, we need him as a centre since we're already moving Kadri to LW.

Top Line forward:
Kadri - Colbourne - Kessel

Top Line defence:
Schenn - Gardiner

The future looks bright.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Haha it's all good. I was thinking the same exact thing with the Boyle comparison. Boyle bounced around in the Kings system and switched from D to Forward. It seemed like he never gained that confidence in the Kings system, although he had all of the skill/talent/potential and he did well in the AHL. Playing for the Rangers seems to be a good fit for him.

I think you'll see the same career trajectory with Colborne - it always takes the big guys a little longer to find their way.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

:laugh: within the first 5ish posts there's "The next Joe Thornton" and "3rd liner" :laugh:

mcphllp

Dion @ 6.5=Discount
Dec 27, 2008
ive always thought he was overrated, but he is a good prospect

im sure if he becomes a leaf he'll be touted as the next hugh jessiman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->