What is Joe Colborne's potential?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I hope he turns out, but I wouldn't count on it. The guy is too soft as it is. Would like if he used his size more.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Before Trade : Depth guy that needs a few more years in the AHL and he might be able to slide into #3/#4 center role.

After Trade : Next Crosby.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Maybe I'm Brian Burke incognito...

Either way - killer timing on this thread, eh?

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
burke is going to him right now and telling him: you better be truculent or **** will go down! i'm pretty sure burke told kadri to be more tough when he drafted him(hence his 100+pim last year) he's young so I don't think he would mind him being the A for two years to work on his agressiveness and holding the puck down low(can he do that now?anyone?)

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Before Trade : Depth guy that needs a few more years in the AHL and he might be able to slide into #3/#4 center role.

This isn't the first time you have bleated this.

Give it a rest, it is neither accurate, nor funny.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary

Good one, because listening to most bruins fans it is...

Before trade : Elite #1 centre

After Trade : Career AHLer

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
people saying joe thortan as max potential isnt exactly a compliment :(

Uh yes it is. In fact, thats way too high. Thornton has probably been a top 5 centerman during his career. I don't think theres one guy in this draft that has Thorntons potential. I actually think the Bonk comparison is not bad, a pretty good 2nd line center who can step onto a 1st line if it is talented enough. A 60-70 point guy who aint bad defensively but is pretty soft.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver

Yet another in a long line of Canuck fans with an unhealthy obsession with the blue and white.

Yawn.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How does he compare to a guy like Nik Antropov? Giant with good playmaking, not as physical as you'd want and an okay skater. Is that a reasonable comparison, or should we still be dreaming of a Joe Thornton?

Diskothek

Aug 15, 2007
B's fan here. Seen him a handful of times up close in Providence. Honestly, if this kid doesn't stop playing so timid, he'll never make it. For a 6'6" guy you don't notice him as much as you should.

Diskothek

Aug 15, 2007
How does he compare to a guy like Nik Antropov? Giant with good playmaking, not as physical as you'd want and an okay skater. Is that a reasonable comparison, or should we still be dreaming of a Joe Thornton?

Jumbo Joe is a pretty far stretch. Antropov sounds right on for his max potential.

TicketBroker

Dec 31, 2010
Yesterday, when Wheeler was the piece going to Toronto, Colborne was an untouchable, top flight blue chipper. Today, the Leafs made a mistake, and should have took Blake Wheeler. Colborne has a low ceiling and is overweight or something.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Good one, because listening to most bruins fans it is...

Before trade : Elite #1 centre

After Trade : Career AHLer

Before and after trade: Solid Big 2nd line center.

1st Line Center ceiling, think Joe Thornton-lite

If he doesn't pan out, then he could just be Hugh Jessemin, but I think slotting him in as a 2nd line center in a few seasons wouldn't be overly unrealistic.

Not a fan of giving up on him, but IF Kaberle is basically a lock to resign it does make me feel better. Bruins management was high on him, so that definitely means they had an even bigger hard-on for Kaberle.

For a fan of hockey first, and wanting original 6 teams to all be competitive, I hope this works out well for both teams.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
What kinda future does this guy have in the NHL?

I haven't followed him much, but from what I gather he seems to fit a Brian Boyle mold. Huge size, good hands for a big man, and did very well in the NCAA. I just have some concerns about his physicality and skating transitioning into the NHL game, but other than that he looks like a good prospect.

I'd say 2nd Line NHL Center is the best case scenario for him. He has the size but needs to learn how to use it. He also needs to put on some weight. He was considered a project when he was drafted.

He reminds me of Blake Wheeler in a lot of ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad