What is going on with Schneider?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Home: 8-0-1, 2.28 GAA, .920 SV%
Away: 1-9-3, 3.31 GAA, .889 SV%

The whole team is garbage on the road. Plus they've given up 3 or more goals in 13 of their last 14 games (the only time they allowed less than 3 was against Cory's old team).

The weird thing is he got off to one of the best starts of his career his first 10-12 starts and now he might be having the worst stretch of his career. Hopefully he snaps out of it soon.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The Devils have 4 bottom pair defenseman in their everyday lineup and no true number 1

I think it's kinda one of those things where if your missing a top D, all of a sudden every other D is playing a bit more then the should and the problem gets kind of exaggerated in some cases. It's definitely something I've noticed over the years with the Oilers D problems

Yeah. These really hit the nail on the head.

Playing behind a defence like that isn't going to be flattering to goaltending numbers, no matter how good the netminder is. It just really isn't a good blueline at all. Way too many guys forced to play too high up the lineup, which has that domino effect right down the lineup.

I think the whole Larsson-Hall trade signaled something of a shift in what sort of team they wanted to be as well. It's often mentioned how much of a shift in approach it represented for Edmonton...but somehow slides mostly under the radar how true the reverse appears to be as well.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Throughout his career he has always played on very good defensive teams, and he now has to adjust to playing behind a subpar defense. Im sure he'll get it together but I always thought he was a bit overrated, especially when fans started mentioning him in the same level of Price.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Throughout his career he has always played on very good defensive teams, and he now has to adjust to playing behind a subpar defense. Im sure he'll get it together but I always thought he was a bit overrated, especially when fans started mentioning him in the same level of Price.

Carey Price 469 GP : 2.40 GAA / .920 SV%

Cory Schneider 292 GP : 2.22 GAA / .923 SV%

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Carey Price 469 GP : 2.40 GAA / .920 SV%

Cory Schneider 292 GP : 2.22 GAA / .923 SV%

The Devils played in a very defensive system his first three years in New Jersey, they may not have given him much goal support but it's not like they left him out to dry the way Montreal does with Price. Plus, Price has to play in a much more pressure filled environment. With all due respect to New Jersey, being the #1 goalie in Montreal is like being the #1 QB in Dallas. Cory is very good, but Price does better in a much more difficult environment.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
The Devils played in a very defensive system his first three years in New Jersey, they may not have given him much goal support but it's not like they left him out to dry the way Montreal does with Price. Plus, Price has to play in a much more pressure filled environment. With all due respect to New Jersey, being the #1 goalie in Montreal is like being the #1 QB in Dallas. Cory is very good, but Price does better in a much more difficult environment.

definitely agree with you but they are 100% in the same tier. top 5 goalies.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
definitely agree with you but they are 100% in the same tier. top 5 goalies.

Price is in a tier in his own I think. And thats not a slight against Cory, and I agree his is a top 5 goalie. All Im saying is that I think he has to prove more to enter Price territory.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Devils should never have made that trade. They should tanked. Now ty are wasting Schneider's prime on a team that is stuck in the middle. Really dumb trade.

Lamoriello was a disaster post lockout and completely misjudged the league and the Devils organization and how they stacked up against the competition. When he made this trade, the Devils had already missed the POs once I believe and were well behind the better teams. Their prospect pool was (and is) thin and of low quality.

They were not a "middle" team in the Metropolitan, not with the Rangers, Pens, Caps, and Flyers. They were and are bottom dwellers with a dim hope of lucking into the POs. They were and are a team that needs to to do a full rebuild and Schneider has actually hurt the organization by stealing wins over the course of the last few seasons and moving the organization into a less favorable draft position.

This year is different though, he looks like he's just worn out from the losing and isn't competing like last year. Maybe all those dangerous scoring chances against the last few years with nothing to show for it have worn him down. The Devils should finally show some balls and trade Schneider now and commit to rebuilding.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The devils D is really bad without Larsson. They didn't do a good enough job filling that void.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Excellent game by Schneider last night. And by Lundquist. The difference is that Lundquist was a big part in the Rangers getting the 2 pts that they need in their PO positioning race.

The Devils are 10 pts out of a wildcard with the Caps, Flyers and TB ahead of them along with 5 other teams. They are second from the bottom in the East and 5th from the bottom in the league. This is the year to get a top 3 pick and a high second rounder. Schneider was a big part in the Devils getting a point out of last night's game - a point they absolutely do NOT need if it costs them draft positioning.

Trade Schneider for picks and give him a shot on a contender for a win-win.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Larsson is a top pairing defensive defenseman and Schlemko was playing like a top-4 with excellent possession numbers.

Replaced him with career journeymen Lovejoy and Quincey, as well as giving duds like Moore and Merrill increased minutes.

Schneider has been disappointing but the team is getting out SHOT by 9 a game and out CHANCED by 7 a game over the past month. He's hardly the problem.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Just to your credibility.

Either way, there was a debate about between Holtby and Schneider before the season, and I was very adamant that a player who is considered the best at his position needs to have some sort of playoff pedigree.

The Devils are looking at the earliest making the playoffs next season (and that is even a best-case scenario, it would require some pretty drastic moves from Shero), he'd be entering that postseason at the age of 32 with one playoff win to his name..

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Either way, there was a debate about between Holtby and Schneider before the season, and I was very adamant that a player who is considered the best at his position needs to have some sort of playoff pedigree.

The Devils are looking at the earliest making the playoffs next season (and that is even a best-case scenario, it would require some pretty drastic moves from Shero), he'd be entering that postseason at the age of 32 with one playoff win to his name..

Playoff pedigree is based on team success. Schneider's numbers speak for themselves. Playoff pedigree means nothing. It's just something people make up in their head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad