What is going on with Schneider?

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
He's getting old. He'll be 31 by the time the season is over so he appears to be on the decline.

...:help:

If that's the case we better be praying for miracles for Hank

Come on man! Schneider is excellent. He looks to be having a down year and the defense is probably making his life harder, they aren't world beater status at all.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
...:help:

If that's the case we better be praying for miracles for Hank

Come on man! Schneider is excellent. He looks to be having a down year and the defense is probably making his life harder, they aren't world beater status at all.

Plus, the guy didn't even become a full-time starter until like, 28. He's got way less miles on him than an ordinary goaltender his age.

He'll be fine. Definitely going through a rough patch right now and the team in front of him isn't helping him in the slightest.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
He's 30 years old. Not good.

Luongo is 37 and had a great season last season and is not doing that bad this season.

Lundqvist is 34 and has so far has played pretty good in the last couple of seasons. Don't know what is happening this season though.

Crawford is 31 and has pretty good stats so far this season.

Not saying that age isn't a factor in his play, but there is more to the story here. Schneider didn't all of a sudden turn into a average goaltender because he is 30 years old.

It is more likely that he is having a down year and the team in front of him is just no that good.

Last edited:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Schneider will enter next season 31 years old with zero playoff wins.

Oh looking back on all those Rangers vs. Devils/Holtby vs. Schneider polls from this summer are providing me a great laugh right now.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Devils are in the worst situation you can be in. Not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to get a top pick because of Schneider.

They are completely wasting his prime, so it's looks like he has given up to get the team a top pick :laugh:

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007

Oh looking back on all those Rangers vs. Devils/Holtby vs. Schneider polls from this summer are providing me a great laugh right now.

Schneider has a playoff win in his career. If you're going to talk ****, maybe do the bare minimum research to make sure you're actually correct.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Here's my theory. His chest protector is too bulky. He's getting beat on high shots from long range and he's letting soft wrist shots to the chest bounce back out like a bouncing ball. The defense hasn't been that bad.

He's also given up the most low danger goals since 14-15 and has the 2nd lowest low danger SV% in that same span. Long distance shots are killing him this year, and have been killing him for quite some time.

The defense has for the most part been solid. The Devils are 7th in the league in scoring chances allowed per 60. 18th in corsi allowed per 60 which isn't amazing, but it's not awful.

Did he actually change his gear? I'm assuming he did. But you would imagine if it were bothering him, he'd get away from it.

Really strange to be struggling with long shots though. We used to wonder if Bernier legitimately had vision problems because of his reactions to some of them :laugh:

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Did he actually change his gear? I'm assuming he did. But you would imagine if it were bothering him, he'd get away from it.

Really strange to be struggling with long shots though. We used to wonder if Bernier legitimately had vision problems because of his reactions to some of them :laugh:

Again, it was just a theory. :laugh:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I'm not sure what the amount of playoff wins he has has to do with him struggling in December, but I guess he's the only elite goalie to ever have a bad stetch of play.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I'm surprised to see anything that says Cory is giving up worse goals or that the Devils are doing okay at suppressing scoring chances, but the only full game I watched was their game against the Rangers. It was jarring because we play them so often but I don't know if I've ever seen a Devils team look "soft" against us before.

If they want to transition to a more creative, expansive system and away from Pete de Boer, Jordin Tootoo kind of stuff that's fine, and long-term I'm sure it will be better for the fans to watch, but you stay in games by working hard and clogging the front of the net.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm surprised to see anything that says Cory is giving up worse goals or that the Devils are doing okay at suppressing scoring chances, but the only full game I watched was their game against the Rangers. It was jarring because we play them so often but I don't know if I've ever seen a Devils team look "soft" against us before.

If they want to transition to a more creative, expansive system and away from Pete de Boer, Jordin Tootoo kind of stuff that's fine, and long-term I'm sure it will be better for the fans to watch, but you stay in games by working hard and clogging the front of the net.

It was honestly the worst we've looked against the Rangers in quite some time. The game at Yankee Stadium was the only one that comes close. Even in that game where we were blown out of MSG and Schneider was pulled after allowing 3 goals in the 1st period at the very end of 14-15, we didn't look that bad. At least we somehow outshot the Rangers for the rest of the game. The game where we were outshot 49-21 by Montreal last week was among the worst Devils games of the last 30 years.

Schneider has looked bad since we left Dallas last month, that was his last really good game. He wasn't bad against the Canucks but it's the Canucks, they might be worse than us this year. I keep making the joke that aliens kidnapped Schneider after the Dallas game and sent us on our way with Kari Lehtonen, because Schneider has looked like Kari Lehtonen for the last month. Lehtonen still looks as bad as the last 3 years though, so I don't think Dallas has Schneider.:laugh:

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Entire team has been awful the past month, he's no exception. Going to be a rough year it seems.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Hynes is a ****ing idiot. Schneider is slumping, but every move Hynes has made evaluating defenseman has been poor. The structure is a joke, Hynes has not adapted. The team has struggled seriously possession wise the last two weeks. Hynes is adamant about playing guys like Lovejoy/Moore a ton of minutes despite the fact that they struggle. He sent Auvitu who was playing like one of their best defenseman down to the AHL because he had a bad 2-3 game stretch. Let Schlemko walk when he was very strong for the Devils last year. He's playing forwards who get trapped in their own zone way to much and Hynes refuses to bench them.

It's been awful. The Devils defensive personnel is awful, but it shouldn't be this bad. If Hynes was managing the roster effectively, Schneider wouldn't be this bad. Now Schneider deserves some blame since he's allowing some gimmes, but it's been a collective failure.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They weakened their blue line considerably with the Larsson trade even if they improved their offence, so a drop in Schneider's numbers isn't exactly a stunning development.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Watched some games and he isn't his usual dominant I can steal a game self.

He's letting in goals this year that would have had the Devils a lottery team last year. I suspect he bounces back but something isn't right.....

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Team loses best defensive defenseman and goalie's save percentage drops some...

My guess is giving up a few more chances + some bad luck. He'll be back above .920 at the end of the year I imagine.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
It was honestly the worst we've looked against the Rangers in quite some time. The game at Yankee Stadium was the only one that comes close. Even in that game where we were blown out of MSG and Schneider was pulled after allowing 3 goals in the 1st period at the very end of 14-15, we didn't look that bad. At least we somehow outshot the Rangers for the rest of the game. The game where we were outshot 49-21 by Montreal last week was among the worst Devils games of the last 30 years.

Schneider has looked bad since we left Dallas last month, that was his last really good game. He wasn't bad against the Canucks but it's the Canucks, they might be worse than us this year. I keep making the joke that aliens kidnapped Schneider after the Dallas game and sent us on our way with Kari Lehtonen, because Schneider has looked like Kari Lehtonen for the last month. Lehtonen still looks as bad as the last 3 years though, so I don't think Dallas has Schneider.:laugh:

What if Schneider is the alien (Stats duh), and he simply decided he's had enough and cloned Lehtonen and made him look like Schneider?

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Great goaltender, on a bad team, with bad team defense, and he is having a bad year himself.

The team is Schneider. If he isn't up to par, the Devils are not a competitive team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad