What is going on with Schneider?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
What is happening with him? His stats this year have been lackluster. Did the Devils underestimate the impact Larsson had on the D? Is it a result of their defense?

Stats from this year: 22 GP, 9 wins, 2.88 GAA and a .905%. Only one game with a save percentage above .900 (.917) in his last ten games.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
What is happening with him? His stats this year have been lackluster. Did the Devils underestimate the impact Larsson had on the D? Is it a result of their defense?

Stats from this year: 22 GP, 9 wins, 2.88 GAA and a .905%. Only one game with a save percentage above .900 (.917) in his last ten games.

It's normal for goaltenders to go through bad years. There's still a lot of variance when it comes down to goaltending. The good goalies will last though, like Schneider.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
It's normal for goaltenders to go through bad years. There's still a lot of variance when it comes down to goaltending. The good goalies will last though, like Schneider.

I suppose you're right but this will no doubt hurt his stock for when people make lists of the top goalies in the NHL. I had him as the third best goalie in the league (behind Price & Holtby) and thus far he hasn't looked a top three goalie.

sunnyvale

Apr 29, 2013
NJ
The Devils have 4 bottom pair defenseman in their everyday lineup and no true number 1

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Was their defense in 2014-15 truly that much better?

I think it's kinda one of those things where if your missing a top D, all of a sudden every other D is playing a bit more then the should and the problem gets kind of exaggerated in some cases. It's definitely something I've noticed over the years with the Oilers D problems

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I think it's kinda one of those things where if your missing a top D, all of a sudden every other D is playing a bit more then the should and the problem gets kind of exaggerated in some cases. It's definitely something I've noticed over the years with the Oilers D problems

You have a point there but the reason I mentioned 2014-15 was because Larsson was still in the dog house (DeBoer) and their D wasn't much better aside from the fact Greene was younger.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
He really hasn't been that bad.He has been very average this year and the Devils defense is pretty bad. To be honest the only reason we were decent last year is because he was basically the best goalie in the league.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
He really hasn't been that bad.He has been very average this year and the Devils defense is pretty bad. To be honest the only reason we were decent last year is because he was basically the best goalie in the league.

Average for a goalie that has displayed top 3/top 5 ability is bad.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Devils should never have made that trade. They should tanked. Now ty are wasting Schneider's prime on a team that is stuck in the middle. Really dumb trade.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Devils should never have made that trade. They should tanked. Now ty are wasting Schneider's prime on a team that is stuck in the middle. Really dumb trade.

Ha...ironically I've always been furious at the thought of Lou knowing Kovy was leaving that offseason when he made the Schneider trade. If he did, that trade set the franchise back over a decade. Team won't go anywhere, but will never be bottom 3 because of Schneider...unless he plays like this the rest of the season. So, maybe he figured it out. :laugh:

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006

I disagree they shouldn't have made that trade, but I do agree in a sense that I think they should try to move him if there is a move worthwhile.

On his play, the defense has been god awful, but he hasn't been doing himself any favors with his own play. pretty poor.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He has a god awful incompetent defense group in front of him and a collection of offensive forwards and young kids who have little idea how to stop high scoring chances.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
You have a point there but the reason I mentioned 2014-15 was because Larsson was still in the dog house (DeBoer) and their D wasn't much better aside from the fact Greene was younger.

Greene was dominant that year.

He was playing like a #1 D and the team was playing a system under DeBoer that controlled possession and negated a lot of high scoring chances.

This year's team has massive liabilities. Greene is half the defender he once was, Quincey has cinderblocks for skates, Lovejoy is a solid 4/5 who needs a puck-mover to carry him on a second pairing, Auvitu is a new French transplant who hasn't learned to win a board battle at the NHL level, Moore is all tools and no toolbox, and Merrill hasn't shown to be an NHL caliber defender since a brief stretch his rookie year.

Combine all that with the fact that they are one of the softest defenses in the league and we just get walked around with ease every night. The forwards don't help much defensively either.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Too many stoppable goals, getting close to allowing the number of bad goals that he allowed all of last year.

Since middle of November, there's like two stoppable goals going in on him every game.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Here's my theory. His chest protector is too bulky. He's getting beat on high shots from long range and he's letting soft wrist shots to the chest bounce back out like a bouncing ball. The defense hasn't been that bad.

He's also given up the most low danger goals since 14-15 and has the 2nd lowest low danger SV% in that same span. Long distance shots are killing him this year, and have been killing him for quite some time.

The defense has for the most part been solid. The Devils are 7th in the league in scoring chances allowed per 60. 18th in corsi allowed per 60 which isn't amazing, but it's not awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad