Speculation: What is/are our opening night roster/lines looking like?

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
he's all heart and thats something a team can always need. He's a decent 4th liner, he would also be replaceable.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Yes, Q won 2 cups in 4 years. He's certainly a capable coach. That doesn't mean he's some sort of genius that's infallible. He didn't take the Coyotes to two cups. He took two teams with the best rosters in the league to two cups.

He got a great team to play to it's level when it matters while constantly playing well below it. He shows favoritism to crappy players and nepotism to his cronies. Our PP has sucked and his answer was to hire what may be the worst PP coach in hockey.

All this said, I actually like Q. But everyone's dismissive attitude towards any critique of him is baffling.

member 151739

Smith is. A fourth line of Morin - Kruger - Nordstrom has the potential to be one of the best in hockey. Bollig is the definition of replacement level player.

Let's hope so. Nordstrom looked pretty good in the preseason.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Yes, Q won 2 cups in 4 years. He's certainly a capable coach. That doesn't mean he's some sort of genius that's infallible. He didn't take the Coyotes to two cups. He took two teams with the best rosters in the league to two cups.

He got a great team to play to it's level when it matters while constantly playing well below it. He shows favoritism to crappy players and nepotism to his cronies. Our PP has sucked and his answer was to hire what may be the worst PP coach in hockey.

All this said, I actually like Q. But everyone's dismissive attitude towards any critique of him is baffling.

Your last sentence is what irks me. All that those people are doing is admitting they refuse to think critically. I'm certainly (and admittedly) more critical than most posters, but I can at least give credit where credit is due unlike those on the other side of the coin who refuse to see any fault(s) at all.

Retail1LO*

This team needs some GD center depth. I mean...if you consider that Kane or Sharp COULD play center, and do it well, but simply aren't...we have great centers. I'm really surprised that they don't have Kane or Sharp in the middle with whatever warm bodies they can put around them. Our lineup down the middle looks mediocre at best.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
About Bollig... I've been a hater since he started but something Q said last year has made me ok with it. Q said that the biggest thing he wants from his 4th line is getting an offensive faceoff or offensive zone start for the 1st line.

He basically acknowledged that Bollig doesnt have the skill of others but that the puck consistently ends up in the offensive zone when he's out there. Since he said that I noticed the same thing. Who knows if it's luck, his lineups or bias but I don't think he's wrong.

His game is simplee... chip it in the zone, shoot and get faceoffs and let the big guys out there. Watch for it here early on and I think everyone will notice the same thing.

I've been on the anti-Bollig train for a while, and think of him as a guy who provides nothing but staged fights basically... but I'll be interested to definitely keep an eye on this when he is out there. It's definitely not something I've ever really noticed.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I'm glad that Nordstrom made the team. He looked great in the pre-season, and is going to replace Frolik.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Agreed, looks better than Frolik. Although Frolik was fearless in a big way and that remains to be seen.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Your last sentence is what irks me. All that those people are doing is admitting they refuse to think critically. I'm certainly (and admittedly) more critical than most posters, but I can at least give credit where credit is due unlike those on the other side of the coin who refuse to see any fault(s) at all.

No doubt. The people that are quick to come down on those that have questions about personnel decisions think Q farts rainbows.

We have a very, very good hockey team. That doesn't mean the people in charge are above reproach.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Having Bollig in instead of Smith or Morin isn't going to win or lose us the game. It's not going to change a damn thing, just like when Bollig was replacing Stalberg in the playoffs.

people get upset by the smallest things around here, that's what irks me. Bollig is a capable 4th liner, who doesn't hurt your team. Almost every team in the league has a gooner on their team, even the best ones. There is zero problem with having Bollig in the line-up.

And yes, Q does make errors, but what he does works, so why do people continue to question it? Oh right, because you know more than him.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Having Bollig in instead of Smith or Morin isn't going to win or lose us the game. It's not going to change a damn thing, just like when Bollig was replacing Stalberg in the playoffs.

people get upset by the smallest things around here, that's what irks me. Bollig is a capable 4th liner, who doesn't hurt your team. Almost every team in the league has a gooner on their team, even the best ones. There is zero problem with having Bollig in the line-up.

And yes, Q does make errors, but what he does works, so why do people continue to question it? Oh right, because you know more than him.

Because somebody said that. Oh wait, they didn't.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
I have a hard time believing that any one of Smith, Morin, Hayes, or Nordstrom can't provide the "defensive responsibility" that Bollig provides while also bringing MUCH better offensive capabilities.

Considering Bollig has yet to produce even a single point in his 43 NHL games means that the very best we can hope from him is to break even with the opposing team - and I know that's not true because he has made mistakes which cost this team goals against.

In order to repeat, the Hawks will need to "season" Hayes, Smith, and Nordstrom and they will need to become effective NHL players fairly quickly. Because right now, a bottom 6/7 of

Saad Shaw Smith
Bollig Kruger Nordstrom
Hayes

is not that threatening. Hayes, Smith, Morin, and Nordstrom have the ability to become good 3rd and 4th line players. Bollig does not have that ability. Early in this season is when the young promising players should play more not less.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Stop being insufferable. At no point have I said I know more than him.

Because somebody said that. Oh wait, they didn't.

When you continue to say "he should do this, or he should do that" you sure do sound like you think you know more than him.

Once in a while, sure, it's fine. Every time a decision is made?

It's not necessary to question a two time (in the last 4 years) cup champ coach.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ Perhaps some would prefer that we all become mindless cheerleaders who defend against anyone who questions a decision by Q and/or Stan. No …. sorry, but we already have enough of the RAH RAH gang here.

Back to Bollig for a second. As I said previously he didn’t have a bad pre-season. We’ll see if that continues with the intensity of regular season hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad