Speculation: What is/are our opening night roster/lines looking like?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Just because bollig plays tonight doesn't mean he will play 82. I'd rather smith or Hayes I'm there but it's not like brunette dragging down Kane for an entire season.

LBS8844

Apr 10, 2013
:nopity:
What's your point (if you have one that is)? Oh wait, you're probably part of the segment of this board that thinks Q is beyond reproach and above any sort of criticism right? I could have 5 posts and still hold the opinion that I don't think Bollig belongs in the starting line up; would that make my point any more relevant?

Not likely any more than yours since it's an opinion, although made without such daft use of emoticons.

Well, the Bollig issue is obviously moot - hands down, the kid plays at least as well as any Hawks 'tough guy' post-Probert (the list is lengthy). And yes, I happen to hail from the opinion that the using (or agreeing with) the word "clueless" in the same sentence as "Joel Quenneville" in context of the Chicago Blackhawks warrants the claimant a well-deserved visit to the psychiatrist. I'd even consider fronting any deductible :nopity:.

Last edited:

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
Frolik scored 2 goals and Nordstrom basically stood still doing nothing on the PK.

Not saying he is a bad player but lets hold off on the he is already 100X better thing people like to do once a guys leaves the team.

God forbid Toews or Kane ever leave. I can just imagine how quickly they become overrated players who rode a great roster to a few Cups.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Well, the Bollig issue is obviously moot - hands down, the kid plays at least as well as any Hawks 'tough guy' post-Probert (the list is lengthy). And yes, I happen to hail from the opinion that the using (or agreeing with) the word "clueless" in the same sentence as "Joel Quenneville" in context of the Chicago Blackhawks warrants the claimant a well-deserved visit to the psychiatrist. I'd even consider fronting any deductible :nopity:.

One game a career doesn't make. Bollig isn't some stud fourth liner. Would you agree that he's better than Ben Smith or Jeremy Morin?

LBS8844

Apr 10, 2013
One game a career doesn't make. Bollig isn't some stud fourth liner. Would you agree that he's better than Ben Smith or Jeremy Morin?

You are correct. Even Bollig would agree he's not 'better' than Smith or Morin. Not his purpose. Bollig plays a role, and he does a pretty good job at it. When asked, he gives his best, and it is appreciated (at least, by his teammates and the greater organization, which is all that really matters). And on a good night like last, he opens the scoring. Gonna go out on a limb here, but I bet Bollig finishes the regular season with at least 5 goals, hopefully more.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I have always thought that for a light heavy he can play. Have no issue with him as an extra forward. I don't believe he should be a regular over a kid like Morin or Smith.

LBS8844

Apr 10, 2013
I have always thought that for a light heavy he can play. Have no issue with him as an extra forward. I don't believe he should be a regular over a kid like Morin or Smith.

Agreed. Honestly, have no clue why Q played him last night against a team like Washington, but I'm glad he did. Oh, and as usual, they're going for Towes' head...you'd think the league would take control, but alas... Should start a tally on which player in the NHL (league-wide, shocking) is targeted more for head shots...Toews, or Hossa? Shameful.

Last edited:

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City

I agreed with the sentiment that Bollig shouldn't be playing, least of all against the Washington Capitals. In spite of his goal I still believe that. Maybe next time I can make that more clear for you so I don't have to deal with your torrents of emoticons and lack of fundamental reading comprehension. Maybe I can front your tuition to school.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
I agreed with the sentiment that Bollig shouldn't be playing, least of all against the Washington Capitals. In spite of his goal I still believe that. Maybe next time I can make that more clear for you so I don't have to deal with your torrents of emoticons and lack of fundamental reading comprehension. Maybe I can front your tuition to school.

This post comes across as digging your heels in the sand despite the evidence. Bollig played a good game last night, even outside of the goal. He didn't hurt us, and even helped us.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
This post comes across as digging your heels in the sand despite the evidence. Bollig played a good game last night, even outside of the goal. He didn't hurt us, and even helped us.

I said as much. I still don't agree with the reasoning behind it. I am more than happy when he plays against teams like the Blues. I just think there are better options against the Capitals. Obviously him and the rest of the fourth line had a good game last night which I readily admit. That still does not change my issue with the decision prior to the game.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
You're right, he is not as bad as he is sometimes made out to be. That doesn't mean I should think he should start though.

Sure thing. Good thing to know not a single one of his moves can be questioned this season.

Your last sentence is what irks me. All that those people are doing is admitting they refuse to think critically. I'm certainly (and admittedly) more critical than most posters, but I can at least give credit where credit is due unlike those on the other side of the coin who refuse to see any fault(s) at all.

Stop being insufferable. At no point have I said I know more than him.

It's not every time, and yes, people can still question a two time Stanley Cup winning coach.

I said as much. I still don't agree with the reasoning behind it. I am more than happy when he plays against teams like the Blues. I just think there are better options against the Capitals. Obviously him and the rest of the fourth line had a good game last night which I readily admit. That still does not change my issue with the decision prior to the game.

Unbelievable. You made it clear that Bollig should be out of the lineup, that someone else should be playing in place of him. Some of us were saying "Trust in Q. MAYBE, just maybe, he knows his lineup better than you or me." Then you went on your little "critical thinking" tangent.

Come gametime, Bollig scores a goal what, 3 minutes in? It's not about you being right or wrong. It's about us as Hawks fans on this discussion board we frequently visit and post on, coming together and realizing that Coach Joel Quenville has earned a significant amount of respect and trust from his team and fanbase. If he feels Bollig is better than the other 4th line wing options, then so be it.

Trust in Q. I don't want to spend an entire season having to sift through posts of "Q is clueless" (i'm aware YOU didn't say that). You guys didn't even give him one game before you were already questioning him. It's unbelievable.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
Then put me on ignore if all you want to read is the company line. I mean I don't know what to tell you, I'm not going to agree with every decision he makes. Here, how about this. I love his decision to play Saad with Shaw on the third line. I like the moves he has made to improve the PP, especially utilizing Leddy more.

Are you happy now?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Even though you were very clearly and obviously wrong with your opinion Bollig should not be playing, you're still singing that tune? Ok pal, enjoy thinking you know better. I'll be over here trusting and not caring about lineup decisions.

Agree to disagree i suppose.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Unbelievable. You made it clear that Bollig should be out of the lineup, that someone else should be playing in place of him. Some of us were saying "Trust in Q. MAYBE, just maybe, he knows his lineup better than you or me." Then you went on your little "critical thinking" tangent.

Come gametime, Bollig scores a goal what, 3 minutes in? It's not about you being right or wrong. It's about us as Hawks fans on this discussion board we frequently visit and post on, coming together and realizing that Coach Joel Quenville has earned a significant amount of respect and trust from his team and fanbase. If he feels Bollig is better than the other 4th line wing options, then so be it.

Trust in Q. I don't want to spend an entire season having to sift through posts of "Q is clueless" (i'm aware YOU didn't say that). You guys didn't even give him one game before you were already questioning him. It's unbelievable.

Couldn't have said it better.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
Even though you were very clearly and obviously wrong with your opinion Bollig should not be playing, you're still singing that tune? Ok pal, enjoy thinking you know better. I'll be over here trusting and not caring about lineup decisions.

Agree to disagree i suppose.

That is what forums are for.

And stop with the misnomer that I think I know better.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

So then you believe against a team like the Capitals Bollig is a better player than Smith or Morin. To each his own.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I also wish that the line up spots would go to players with more skill than Bollig. I don't really find him an important part of the team. He's not even that good at fighting.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Me, Kurtosis and others are simply stating what we believe would make us a better team. At no point have either of us stated that there's no way we will win with so and so on the fourth line. Hell, we won a cup with a fourth line forward playing second line pivot.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to ice the best team possible. Babcock is a phenomenal coach. He's still playing Daniel Cleary over what is clearly a much better player at this point in Tomas Tatar.

LBS8844

Apr 10, 2013

You've rendered me speechless re. this topic, congratulations. No longer know where to start, better to let it go.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
Me, Kurtosis and others are simply stating what we believe would make us a better team. At no point have either of us stated that there's no way we will win with so and so on the fourth line. Hell, we won a cup with a fourth line forward playing second line pivot.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to ice the best team possible. Babcock is a phenomenal coach. He's still playing Daniel Cleary over what is clearly a much better player at this point in Tomas Tatar.

Excellent post.

I am someone who isn't a fan of Bollig simply because I believe his skill set doesn't fit with this team the best and there are others in the AHL or on the bench who can better accompany this team. That doesn't make Bollig a bad player or someone who shouldn't be in the league, simply means there are others who can be better in that role.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Bollig is dinosaur thinking at its worst. We won the Cup without any significant contribution from him. We didn't need him then and we don't need him now. The only reason he is in the lineup at all is to draw a certain population of cementheads who only actually watch hockey for the fights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->