What is ailing the Oilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Huh? That Penguins team was stacked down the middle, with good goaltending from Barrasso and ended up 2nd in Eastern conference only getting beat by Panthers in 7 games after Francis got injured. This Oilers team are worse at every position. Yes, even when you compare McDavid and Draisaitl to Lemieux and Jagr.
Yea current oilers are nowhere near as good as that penguins team. Adjusted for era it's arguably the best offensive team of all time. They were #2 in the NHL in wins behind Detroit. Edmonton might miss the playoffs.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
The problem is Oilers and its fans have for decades player worshipped 1 or 2 players on any given team at the expense of winning games. Regardless of the coach or management it has always ended in disaster. The day the Oilers and its fans stop putting their eggs in one basket is the day they will end this nightmare.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The problem is Oilers and its fans have for decades player worshipped 1 or 2 players on any given team at the expense of winning games. Regardless of the coach or management it has always ended in disaster. The day the Oilers and its fans stop putting their eggs in one basket is the day they will end this nightmare.
Yeah, that is the problem alright. The fans......

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
If you have 2 super star centre's playing average and then below average defense (bottom of the league) and they get paid 21 million dollars it may make it challenging to do well.

I think some posters have made a good point. If you see a player not back check and they get 24 minutes in a game why then do that yourself?

You already aren't getting 'earned time'
I posted earlier the highest ice time by a forward after the top 6 is 11 minutes.
That is extremely low for the 7th forward in my opinion.

It's tough but maybe less minutes and more effort by the stars. Maybe make a culture change?

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Jeff Skinner says hello.

I think their lack of depth makes them easier to figure out as well. They got off to a hot start as teams locked in their systems and lineups- in any imperfectly executed game plan, ya, McD and Drai will dominate- but once teams see ‘em once or have their plans practiced a few times that team has gotta be one of the easier ones to shut down/control.
And Erik Karlsson says hello too, I know he's been better this season but that contract ouch!

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Looks like if you give Oiler haters an inch they'll take a mile at every opportunity.
Tough to understand. :dunno:
Why would anyone hate the Oilers? We’re just tired of watching the same sad story year after year. Same with Buffalo. Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, McDavid. Can't you guys make it work for once? Enough already!

Last edited:

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Oilers' leading youngsters/best players have always been poor defensively (see Hall, Eberle). RNH is only competent there but not a leader.
Halls defensive game was not as bad as people made it out to be. He put a lot more effort into backchecking than McDrai do. At the very least, the Oilers consistently outshot and outscored the opposition when Hall was on the ice, by a large margin. Can't say the same for Connor and Leon.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I want you to go and listen to some of the Bob Nicholson or Kevin Lowe press conferences over the years. If you come back and say "Yeah, these guys should be in charge of a hockey team", then I'd recommend concussion protocol.

If trading McDavid meant getting a Cup then I'd be all for it. But the Oilers don't win trades for starters, and trading a generational talent would be absolutely mind bogglingly stupid.

The day the Oilers brass takes the business of hockey seriously instead of hiring their buddies from the old days is the day the Oilers become a legit contender. Finger pointing at the players is EXACTLY the kind of garbage our media spews around here.

Do you remember the days of Garth Snow? Yeah, those days haven't left the Oilers yet.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
I watched Brossoit in Vegas on Sunday and couldn't help thinking he would be a huge upgrade over any goalie that Edmonton currently plays.

That the catch 22 thing, put him back between edmonton pipes and you will see his number go down.

.883 in Edmonton in 2017
Magically when up to. 925 in Winnipeg the next year

Of course people still think edmonton D have nothing to do with avreage goaltending.

"It not Tippet fault, he can't stop the puck himself..."
-forgettable nyr colour guy

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He might just need to look in the mirror. Nicholson and Holland are just the new guys in his long list of hires that haven't worked out. At what point do you question the man making these hires? When there is one constant to a team underperforming for 14 years since their arrival, I'd sort of question that guy.
The problem is we can't do anything about Katz unless you guys can find us a multi billionaire who wont move the team to Houston or something. We absolutely can and should do something about Nicholson/Holland.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The problem is we can't do anything about Katz unless you guys can find us a multi billionaire who wont move the team to Houston or something. We absolutely can and should do something about Nicholson/Holland.
Except why is there any faith the next person will do better? When there is a long track-record of the person making the hirings being terrible at it.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
When it rains it pours for this team. They play the Leafs tomorrow and McDavid just tested positive for Covid.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Looks like if you give Oiler haters an inch they'll take a mile at every opportunity.
Tough to understand. :dunno:
I certainly have no interest in conversing with a person like yourself so I don't really care what you think.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Who is saying they are the MAIN problem?

They don't play a speck of defense which in turn makes them have to outscore the other team.

They can have all those individual trophies...no one gives a damn lol. I'm gonna wear my Hart Trophy t shirt????

LOL.
Look through this very thread and you will find several posts that start with, 'the real problem is' and then something about Draisaitl and McDavid.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I want you to go and listen to some of the Bob Nicholson or Kevin Lowe press conferences over the years. If you come back and say "Yeah, these guys should be in charge of a hockey team", then I'd recommend concussion protocol.

If trading McDavid meant getting a Cup then I'd be all for it. But the Oilers don't win trades for starters, and trading a generational talent would be absolutely mind bogglingly stupid.

The day the Oilers brass takes the business of hockey seriously instead of hiring their buddies from the old days is the day the Oilers become a legit contender. Finger pointing at the players is EXACTLY the kind of garbage our media spews around here.

Do you remember the days of Garth Snow? Yeah, those days haven't left the Oilers yet.
Garth Snow built today’s Islander team.

Barzal
Pelech
Pulock
Lee
Nelson
Bailey
Beavillier
Cizikas
Martin
Clutterbuck
Sorokin