What injury do you think RNH is playing through?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think in his rookie season, it made us all optimistic. A lot of us figured that when he comes back from that freak injury, he'll pick up offensively. He's definitely worked on his defensive game but as a #1C [at the time], it was extremely disappointing he has trouble hitting 60 pts.

A lot of posters have a tough time accepting that maybe he's just not that good [or as good as we expected]. And then they try to rationalize it, or worse, put down others just to prop him up.

It was always said by media that he has hockey smarts, just maybe not a body to make the most of it.

Eh, I don't buy the bolded part. RNH is not a small or particularly weak player. In fact, he was at his best when he was at his smallest and weakest when he first broke into the league.

I donno what the issue with RNH is, but to me it seems to be between the ears, not a lack of size/strength. You look at the type of moves he made as a rookie and the confidence in which he handled the puck and won battles and threaded passes.... and that's mostly been gone for the better part of his career since that rookie year. He had a great stretch last year where some of that seemed to be back, but that didn't continue forward this year.

His offensive creativity is seemingly gone. In an attempt to solidify his defensive play, he's turned him into a north-south mucker, and that's just never going to be his game. And on top of that, he hasn't even gotten better defensively. He's arguably gotten worse. He use to make up with his lack of size in the defensive zone by being tenacious on the puck and being able to take it away from just about anyone. He doesn't do that anymore really. He sort of just looks lost and misses his assignment in the defensive zone waaaaaaaaay too frequently to be considered a solid two-way player at this point.

I don't want to be too hard on the guy, he can definitely be better, and needs to be better. But he's probably playing himself off this team right now his subpar play through 1/2 this season.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Eh, I don't buy the bolded part. RNH is not a small or particularly weak player. In fact, he was at his best when he was at his smallest and weakest when he first broke into the league.

I donno what the issue with RNH is, but to me it seems to be between the ears, not a lack of size/strength. You look at the type of moves he made as a rookie and the confidence in which he handled the puck and won battles and threaded passes.... and that's mostly been gone for the better part of his career since that rookie year. He had a great stretch last year where some of that seemed to be back, but that didn't continue forward this year.

His offensive creativity is seemingly gone. In an attempt to solidify his defensive play, he's turned him into a north-south mucker, and that's just never going to be his game. And on top of that, he hasn't even gotten better defensively. He's arguably gotten worse. He use to make up with his lack of size in the defensive zone by being tenacious on the puck and being able to take it away from just about anyone. He doesn't do that anymore really. He sort of just looks lost and misses his assignment in the defensive zone waaaaaaaaay too frequently to be considered a solid two-way player at this point.

I don't want to be too hard on the guy, he can definitely be better, and needs to be better. But he's probably playing himself off this team right now his subpar play through 1/2 this season.

Don't get me wrong, in hindsight, I don't think he's smart. The potential that we all saw in his rookie season misled us.

IMO, I don't think he's evolved one bit and others have a read on him. That coupled with his lack of strength hurts him big time.

That said, cue the posters slamming this thread again when he gets his post-elimination run...assuming he's still here after the trade deadline that is.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
We judge Nuge by the fact he's a #1 pick, which is more than fair.

His rookie season showed a player with elite offensive potential.

The player we're getting isn't that, which - I believe - is our major problem with this player.

Aside from our own expectations, the Nuge is playing fine.

But, to stick with the spirit of this thread...

His "injury" is his head. He was gifted a huge contract too early. This is the sort of kid that hangs out with horses in the off-season instead of strapping weight vests to himself, working 'til near death for a big contract.

Not everyone has the intensity of Taylor Hall - he's cocky, confident in a great way.

Nuge, Eberle... Both of them got their flames damped by too much dough too early.

These two kids on bridge deals and, I feel, we aren't having this discussion.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Don't get me wrong, in hindsight, I don't think he's smart. The potential that we all saw in his rookie season misled us.

IMO, I don't think he's evolved one bit and others have a read on him. That coupled with his lack of strength hurts him big time.

That said, cue the posters slamming this thread again when he gets his post-elimination run...assuming he's still here after the trade deadline that is.

Yep. This.

Last season Nuge got hot for one month in March and had over 30% of his whole pt total for the season in that one month when the games were completely meaningless.

ff to this year and when he's most needed after the McDavid injury he spends a long string going -15 in 15GP. Exactly the opposite of what you would want.

Meanwhile a 19 yr old steps in heroically and saves the team from the absolute futility this season would otherwise be.

To think the season is not even half done, Drai has only played 27games, and he's only 25 pts from eclipsing Nuges all time pts total. :nod::handclap:

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
What injury do you think RNH is playing through?

My thought is a lower back injury, which would explain his skating posture being different than normal through compensation, reduced ability to win board battles, and shot velocity.

Same injury as toews, Crosby, Bergeron, Backes, and Zetterburg!

RNH and better production in black!

Tough comp Centers:
#1 spaling .167 EVP per game
#2 little .543 EVPPG
#3 Pageau .250 EVPPG
#4 Toews .459 EVPPG
#5 Crosby .412 EVPPG
#6 stepan .370 EVPPG
#7 O'rielly .528 EVPPG
#8 Kesler .206 EVPPG
#9 J. staal .306 EVPPG
#10 Datsyuk .524 EVPPG
#11 RNH .473 EVPPG
#12 nordsrom .280 EVPPG
#13 Bonino .212 EVPPG
#14 Zajac .250 EVPPG
#15 Bergeron .400 EVPPG
#16 Draisatl .963 EVPPG
#17 Horcoff .212 EVPPG
#18 Eakin .351 EVPPG
#19 McCann .278 EVPPG
#20 Backes .421 EVPPG
#21 Mckinnon .541 EVPPG
#22 Barkov .500 EVPPG
#23 Backstrom .563 EVPPG
#24 Zetterburg .417 EVPPG
#25 Couturier .414 EVPPG

Do you guys even understand what tough comp centers generate.

Draisatl is an even freak!

Using Drai's as a measure is..................

You people have no understanding when it comes to measuring tough comp play.

Tambo:
Eberle 2008
Hall 2010
Davidson 2010
RNH 2011
Klefbom 2011

MacT:
Nurse 2013
Draisatl 2014
Mcdavid 2014 Mact was Gm when we won the lottery. Unless you believe it was in our best intrest to trade the #1 pick or take Eichel.
Thank you macT!

Last edited:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Same injury as toews, Crosby, Bergeron, Backes, and Zetterburg!

RNH and better production in black!

Tough comp Centers:
#1 spaling .167 EVP per game
#2 little .543 EVPPG
#3 Pageau .250 EVPPG
#4 Toews .459 EVPPG
#5 Crosby .412 EVPPG
#6 stepan .370 EVPPG
#7 O'rielly .528 EVPPG
#8 Kesler .206 EVPPG
#9 J. staal .306 EVPPG
#10 Datsyuk .524 EVPPG
#11 RNH .473 EVPPG
#12 nordsrom .280 EVPPG
#13 Bonino .212 EVPPG
#14 Zajac .250 EVPPG
#15 Bergeron .400 EVPPG
#16 Draisatl .963 EVPPG
#17 Horcoff .212 EVPPG
#18 Eakin .351 EVPPG
#19 McCann .278 EVPPG
#20 Backes .421 EVPPG
#21 Mckinnon .541 EVPPG
#22 Barkov .500 EVPPG
#23 Backstrom .563 EVPPG
#24 Zetterburg .417 EVPPG
#25 Couturier .414 EVPPG

Do you guys even understand what tough comp centers generate.

Draisatl is an even freak!

Using Drai's as a measure is..................

You people have no understanding when it comes to measuring tough comp play.

code for: your eyes are wrong, RNH is actually playing great, and when he is not he should be excused.

sorry. When I see Nuge dominate games, win games (like Hall and Drai have done many times this year), I will say he is at their calibre. Until then, because it has yet to happen since the first month of his career, I will see him as an average 2C or very good 3C. And there is nothing wrong with that, I just think we could use a valuable Dman more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad