What injury do you think RNH is playing through?

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010

My thought is a lower back injury, which would explain his skating posture being different than normal through compensation, reduced ability to win board battles, and shot velocity.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
He's too small/weak to be an impact player in the NHL. He doesn't really do anything exceptionally well at this level, and honestly, the Oilers should be trying to unload him because as soon as McDavid is back, RNH is probably 3C.

He'll get murdered against checking lines.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com

My thought is a lower back injury, which would explain his skating posture being different than normal through compensation, reduced ability to win board battles, and shot velocity.
I agree on lower back as I think he missed 2 games last season with a back injury.

Last edited:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
He's too small/weak to be an impact player in the NHL. He doesn't really do anything exceptionally well at this level, and honestly, the Oilers should be trying to unload him because as soon as McDavid is back, RNH is probably 3C.

He'll get murdered against checking lines.

He's already played against top competition for most of his life, why would he get murdered against lower competition?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I for sure highly doubt he still has the flu. He's playing like the sophomore version of RNH right now and its just awful to watch.

Aug 10, 2015
Flawed poll, your only "No injury" option is followed by "he's playing poorly". How about a "No Injury, he's playing fine it's just HFOil likes to hate on Oilers, and today's target is RNH".

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
This reminds me of trade Taylor Hall threads last year. He's not injured, hell he even said he was fine in the media, who cares if he has two knee braces on the guys a bum lets ship him out of town at the first opportunity.

I can't say Nuge is injured for certain, but something is clearly off with him at the moment, I figured the christmas break would do him some good and he looked good for half of the 1st period then after he took a rough tumble on the ice his play wilted right afterwards. If he's injured I really hope we can give him some recuperation time when McDavid comes back, Nuge has been too good of a player for us the past 3 years to think he just magically became worse while the majority of our roster is getting better.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
If he's injured, why is he playing? I just think he's playing poorly in the new system.
I'm not giving him the luxury of the injury excuse

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
There is no injury. It's just a convenient cop out for a vocal few who are struggling to come to terms with his current production that of course, hasn't been substantiated in any manner. Outside of his rookie season and a couple late season hot streaks, Ryan Nugent Hopkins has never been that impressive. Too small, too one dimensional, too ineffective in the Western Conference.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I think RNH is simply struggling to come to terms with going from first to third on the centre depth chart in less than a year.

He just can't seem to find any mojo whatsoever, plus he was paired with a rusty Eberle in November and they've been struggling together ever since.

I don't know if he'll ever be a fit here as a 3C considering his pedigree and contract, but I'm 100% certain he has a lot more in him than we've seen this season.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Yesterday was a bad game. But he's generally facing the other teams' top competition, night in, night out, and not getting caved in.

That is part of the reason why Drai and McDavid can excel,

He's 22. Don't think Datsyuk was even in the league. Pavelski was finishing his college career.

You trade Nuge and have a 20 year led and 18 year old as your top 2 centers? Typical Oilers thinking.

We should actually get a skilled veteran 2C to assist Nuge.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Bruised ego? His expectations have gone from top center to third liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad