What injury do you think RNH is playing through?

Timo

May 23, 2007
Edmonton
He's suffering from people not understanding what his game is, as well as having a lingering case of over expectations.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Playing much better tonight, but watching him closely the last two games he seems to have less strength than is usual for him when he fully extends his arm and stick, which can possibly mean a core, back, or shoulder injury.

space321

May 11, 2011
If we trade him for a Seth Jones, I seriously doubt that.

This is what is confusing to me. What is the problem with trading a good player for a good, but more needed, player?

We've tried the wait game. What has it gotten us? More lottery picks. At some point management has to start building a complete roster, which they have NEVER done in this rebuild.

We have tried the wait game and we can't wait a bit longer until we aren't decimated by injuries?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Playing much better tonight, but watching him closely the last two games he seems to have less strength than is usual for him when he fully extends his arm and stick, which can possibly mean a core, back, or shoulder injury.

This is interesting to me. My buddy said almost the same thing...that he doesnt seem to have the same strength in board battles.

There may indeed be something there. He certainly hasn't been the same player...talent and effectiveness don't just disappear without reason.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
His play certainly looks less inspired, but his production is only barely off of his usual totals. Might need to cut the guy a little slack...?

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
This is interesting to me. My buddy said almost the same thing...that he doesnt seem to have the same strength in board battles.

There may indeed be something there. He certainly hasn't been the same player...talent and effectiveness don't just disappear without reason.

It does on this team.

Want to watch talent and effectiveness leave a player?
Trade him to the Oilers.

I think RNH's play is just the result of the "Law of Oiler"

"Basic principle is whatever needs to happen to make the team terrible will happen."

Win the draft and get Connor McDavid. The law of Oiler compensates with injury.

In RNH's case.. poor *******. Leon Draisitl took a giant leap forward and provided an excellent scoring punch with Taylor Hall. The law of Oiler compensates this by having RNH play the worst hockey of his career. It does this for the whole line really. RNH isn't the only victim. If this line played like they did last year the Oilers would be in a playoff spot. Which is a direct violation of the "Law of Oiler"

There's a similar scenario playing out between Darnell Nurse and Justin Schultz.
For every bit better Nurse makes this team. The law of Oiler compensates by making Justin Schultz that much worse.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
His play certainly looks less inspired, but his production is only barely off of his usual totals. Might need to cut the guy a little slack...?

Which for a first overall is pretty disappointing. Improving one facet of his game [defense] shouldn't worsen or plateau the other [offense].

I wonder if it's just his game has plateaued. Who knows, maybe in his late 20s, he'll turn it around but at 6M already and having to wait another 5-6 years for that, I'm not sure if the Oilers brass has the patience.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Which for a first overall is pretty disappointing. Improving one facet of his game [defense] shouldn't worsen or plateau the other [offense].

I wonder if it's just his game has plateaued.
Who knows, maybe in his late 20s, he'll turn it around but at 6M already and having to wait another 5-6 years for that, I'm not sure if the Oilers brass has the patience.

At 22. SMDH.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
At 22. SMDH.

a) he's been in the league a few years already and seemingly stuck at the mid 50pt range. people will say well look at sedins...well sedins are bigger and stronger

b) its quite possible that his lack of size/strength is what will keep him from being successful in the grinding west. if he was in the east, i think he'd fare better since its helluva lot more open

and perhaps you should read the rest before highlighting that remark. i explicitly said that it may take him more years but with the cap hit he has and the time it may take for him to figure it out, i'm not sure the brass will wait that long before offloading him to fix needs.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
He's too small/weak to be an impact player in the NHL. He doesn't really do anything exceptionally well at this level, and honestly, the Oilers should be trying to unload him because as soon as McDavid is back, RNH is probably 3C.

He'll get murdered against checking lines.

Your post absolutely typifies the complete ignorance of some posters on this board. RNH, historically, has spent the majority of his career against TOP lines, and yet would get "destroyed" by checkers. Secretary, please file under no clue, thanks.

If we trade him for a Seth Jones, I seriously doubt that.

This is what is confusing to me. What is the problem with trading a good player for a good, but more needed, player?

We've tried the wait game. What has it gotten us? More lottery picks. At some point management has to start building a complete roster, which they have NEVER done in this rebuild.

If NHL executives dished out flak as indiscriminately and misguidedly as HFOil, MTL wouldn't have given up Zack Kassian for RNH, let alone NSH parting with Seth Jones.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
a) he's been in the league a few years already and seemingly stuck at the mid 50pt range. people will say well look at sedins...well sedins are bigger and stronger

It's a simple fact that most players don't hit peak production until their mid 20s regardless of how long they've been in the league. Patrick Marleau is a guy T-Mac has compared RNH to and he didn't crack 60 points until he was in his mid-20s and was a 70 point player by the time he was 30.

and perhaps you should read the rest before highlighting that remark. i explicitly said that it may take him more years but with the cap hit he has and the time it may take for him to figure it out, i'm not sure the brass will wait that long before offloading him to fix needs

I don't think this team wins a RNH trade in the short term, if ever. And there's no pressing reason to rush into any trades as long as McDavid and Draisaitl are cheap and still kids.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
He's only 22, was rushed into the NHL, played most of his career against the opposing teams best biggest players. And the oilers have moved him around playing him wherever they have needed him to play. He's been working hard at his defensive game to become a more complete player and in doing so his offensive game has fallen off a bit. In the long run it will pay off and he will be a better player for it.
He does everything without complaining, the effort is always there. Lately been in trade rumors.

People gotta get off the "#1 picks have to be 80-90 point, franchise guys". Most don't turn out to be.
Nuge is a really good player and the oilers would be foolish to trade him.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
It's a simple fact that most players don't hit peak production until their mid 20s regardless of how long they've been in the league. Patrick Marleau is a guy T-Mac has compared RNH to and he didn't crack 60 points until he was in his mid-20s and was a 70 point player by the time he was 30.

I don't think this team wins a RNH trade in the short term, if ever. And there's no pressing reason to rush into any trades as long as McDavid and Draisaitl are cheap and still kids.

I don't disagree. Unless it's a home run trade, it'll hurt but in a year or two, his standing on the team will be determined IMO given Drai's ELC is up and then McDavid's.

Ideally they rid Eberle but RW is a position of weakness.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have been going back and forth on this so often.

I do think he is playing worse than usual but some of that may just be him facing higher quality of competition.

He seems far less physical than last year and is reluctant to shoot. His skating in comparison only seems marginally off from previous years. This to me says if he is injured it is a upper body thing. Shoulders or wrist. Shoulder making the most sense.

He is still a very young player, short of his prime by at least two more years. His play has been inconsistent more than straight up bad.

I hope him, Ebs, and Poo can find that level they were at last year and even improve upon it.

Salary cap wise and return wise trading him makes the most sense. I personally dont want to trade nuge but our defense is a disaster and if he can get us that #1 Rd I think we have to jump on it.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
He's only 22, was rushed into the NHL, played most of his career against the opposing teams best biggest players. And the oilers have moved him around playing him wherever they have needed him to play. He's been working hard at his defensive game to become a more complete player and in doing so his offensive game has fallen off a bit. In the long run it will pay off and he will be a better player for it.
He does everything without complaining, the effort is always there. Lately been in trade rumors.

People gotta get off the "#1 picks have to be 80-90 point, franchise guys". Most don't turn out to be.

Well said. :handclap:

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
The bolded jumps out at me here because you are pinning your assertion on this erroneous rationale.

Most of last season people were similarly wondering "what is wrong" with Nuge and based on indifferent play and production. Last season outside of a hot month of March Nuge only had 39pts. He had 17 of his pts in March in games against clubs like Carolina, Toronto, Columbus. This really being the only time he's been hot in years. The other months last season he never had even a double digit production month. if his March had fallen in line with his other months he would have had 9 pts at most and a season total of 48pts. Only an outlier month got him the 56. Surprised people forget that most of last season Nuge looked very ordinary and which only continues this season.

Except now he's also being a GA liability out there.

If he puts up 45-55 points this year that is on target for a second line center for production.

He and Eberle aren't exactly setting the world on fire, especially defensively but production wise they are trending reasonable 2nd line production.

They are getting more minutes than most 2nd liners though.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If he puts up 45-55 points this year that is on target for a second line center for production.

He and Eberle aren't exactly setting the world on fire, especially defensively but production wise they are trending reasonable 2nd line production.

They are getting more minutes than most 2nd liners though.

Most 2nd line centers aren't playing with guys that can pot 30 goals. Like Eberle has.

In anycase in a short period of time Nuge won't even be a 2nd Center. He's fallen off the depth chart here and already beaten y practically a rookie, Draisaitl (and obviously another rookie) McDavid.

Really all things stated RNH was never going to be a #1C you can base a team around. That was never going to be the case. Especially in the tough WC.

tbh I'm pleased the team is no longer reliant on Nuge given all the shortcomings in his game.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Nuge has spent his entire career as the teams #1 center. By no means has he been moved around a bunch. He's been attached at the hip to Eberle (one of the most consistent point producers in the league for 1/2 a decade) almost every game of his career and has had first unit PP time since day one and heavy offensive zone starts since day one.

And if by working on his defensive game, you mean he's gotten worse defensively than he was as a rookie (much the same as he's worse offensively than he was a rookie) you would be right.

And you're wrong about your assertion on #1 picks, at least if it's a forward. If a forward goes #1 overall, the majority of them absolutely become 80-90 point franchise players (with the exception of RNH and Yak of course).

Forwards picked first overall the last 20 years that aren't RNH:
McDavid - tbd
Mackinnon - tbd, but on pace for 72 points which would be far better than anything RNH has done, well on his way
Yakupov - maybe the worst player picked 1st overall in NHL history
Hall - check
Tavares - check
Stamkos - check
Kane - check
Crosby - check
Ovechkin - check
Nash - debatable, although he was a PPG player in his 3rd season and tied for the Richard in his 2nd.
Kovalchuk - check
Stefan - nope
Lecavalier - check
Thornton - check

So... other than Stefan, RNH and Yakupov.... yeah, they all pretty much become 80-90 point franchise type players.

D-men and goalies seem much more difficult to project, even at the top of the draft.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
He's only 22, was rushed into the NHL, played most of his career against the opposing teams best biggest players. And the oilers have moved him around playing him wherever they have needed him to play.

I count 4 excuses in there. nice

Actually, most 1OV fowards are in the PPG range, and are almost always impact players.

OV
Crosby
Kane
Stamkos
Tavares
Hall
McKinnon (shows every sign)
McDavid (pretty much a lock)

Ask yourself these 2 questions:

1. Seth Jones vrs RNH. who will be the more impactful/valuable player throughout their career?

2. which team is better: current Oilers + RNH or current Oilers + Seth Jones -RNH?

Both questions are automatic, slamdunk, forgone conclusions for me.

edit: sorry Spawn, I didn't read your post before posting my near identical comment.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Most 2nd line centers aren't playing with guys that can pot 30 goals. Like Eberle has.

In anycase in a short period of time Nuge won't even be a 2nd Center. He's fallen off the depth chart here and already beaten y practically a rookie, Draisaitl (and obviously another rookie) McDavid.

Really all things stated RNH was never going to be a #1C you can base a team around. That was never going to be the case. Especially in the tough WC.

tbh I'm pleased the team is no longer reliant on Nuge given all the shortcomings in his game.

I think in his rookie season, it made us all optimistic. A lot of us figured that when he comes back from that freak injury, he'll pick up offensively. He's definitely worked on his defensive game but as a #1C [at the time], it was extremely disappointing he has trouble hitting 60 pts.

Nuge has spent his entire career as the teams #1 center. By no means has he been moved around a bunch. He's been attached at the hip to Eberle (one of the most consistent point producers in the league for 1/2 a decade) almost every game of his career and has had first unit PP time since day one and heavy offensive zone starts since day one.

And if by working on his defensive game, you mean he's gotten worse defensively than he was as a rookie (much the same as he's worse offensively than he was a rookie) you would be right.

And you're wrong about your assertion on #1 picks, at least if it's a forward. If a forward goes #1 overall, the majority of them absolutely become 80-90 point franchise players (with the exception of RNH and Yak of course).

list

So... other than Stefan, RNH and Yakupov.... yeah, they all pretty much become 80-90 point franchise type players.

D-men and goalies seem much more difficult to project, even at the top of the draft.

A lot of posters have a tough time accepting that maybe he's just not that good [or as good as we expected]. And then they try to rationalize it, or worse, put down others just to prop him up.

It was always said by media that he has hockey smarts, just maybe not a body to make the most of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad