What injury do you think RNH is playing through?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
This reminds me of trade Taylor Hall threads last year. He's not injured, hell he even said he was fine in the media, who cares if he has two knee braces on the guys a bum lets ship him out of town at the first opportunity.

I can't say Nuge is injured for certain, but something is clearly off with him at the moment, I figured the christmas break would do him some good and he looked good for half of the 1st period then after he took a rough tumble on the ice his play wilted right afterwards. If he's injured I really hope we can give him some recuperation time when McDavid comes back, Nuge has been too good of a player for us the past 3 years to think he just magically became worse while the majority of our roster is getting better.

Taylor Hall was actually injured though. He was hit with a visible knee on knee hit, missed time, and came back with a lost step in his stride that you would associate with such an injury.

RNH has been bad all year. Sure, he was putting up points for a while, but even the former whipping boy and poster boy for soft ineffective play in Purcell can rack up points playing with Hall/Drai. His one game absence due to the flu cost him his spot with the players that were making him look superficially good, which resulted him being saddled with a slow starting Eberle on a line where his lack of physicality, inability to impact the game defensively, and complete lack of ability to create offense have exposed him for what he is; a mediocre and mistake prone player who is struggling to fit in with a new coach as one of the primary contributors to a line that is outright costing the team games on a nightly basis. An effect made all the more glaring by the fact that Hall is still drawing all the top line matchups.

It's nothing new either, he's been road kill for higher level opposition for years now. The only difference between the way RNH is perceived this year and previous years, is that fans were far more willing to blame Hall or Eberle for why RNH wasn't as good as advertised(Hall/Ebs don't want to backcheck, so RNH has to cover for them!). Fanbase expectations and reality are starting to clash, as it always does with any disappointing prospect, which isn't really RNH's fault in a lot of ways. He was unjustifiably hyped up as the savior at center, with Gretzky like vision and hundred point seasons in his future, a level of hype he never had a chance in hell of achieving with his skillset.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I don't understand how this line went from one of the most dominant in the league after Eakins was fired to barely treading water as a second line. There were people saying he'd be more valuable than Hall going forward. There's gotta be something going on.

As for injuries, I don't think it's any of that. Possibly mono

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I don't understand how this line went from one of the most dominant in the league after Eakins was fired to barely treading water as a second line. There were people saying he'd be more valuable than Hall going forward. There's gotta be something going on.

They weren't dominant though. They were scoring, and not much else. The "not much else" applying to things like winning hockey games and playing defense.

A low stress environment with no pressure to win games, backed a coach that made no demands on defensive play or systems, in a year when every opposing team the league expects an easy night when they played the team, can lead to some pretty impressive but unsustainable efforts.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think some confidence issues maybe. And also... without trying to sound like a dick, this is sort of the player he is. Once again on pace for 55ish points, maybe he'll get a few less, maybe he'll get a few more. But this seems to be his offensive production that we can now expect over a full season for him.

We need to get McDavid and Yakupov back to try some new combinations. The Hall-Drai-Purcell line is going to well to split it up, but at the same time the RNH/Eberle/Pouliot line is complete trash at the moment. A couple extra top 6 options will help shake things up for that line which is so stagnant.

I mean maybe he's injured, who knows. He doesn't seem to be favouring anything ever. Doesn't seem slower. It's funny how many people are using this idea for Nuge, but no one has the same excuse for Eberle who was actually injured and missed weeks with a shoulder issue.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Well if he has an injury, it's time to speak up and use it as an excuse. His value is plummeting. Efforts like last night are unacceptable for a FIRST OVERALL TALENT. I cannot believe THIS is what scout find for the top of the draft. He has to get his stuff together as does Eberle who's game last night was a comic highlight reel of bad play. Both are going to enter the buyout discussions at this pace.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This reminds me of trade Taylor Hall threads last year. He's not injured, hell he even said he was fine in the media, who cares if he has two knee braces on the guys a bum lets ship him out of town at the first opportunity.

I can't say Nuge is injured for certain, but something is clearly off with him at the moment, I figured the christmas break would do him some good and he looked good for half of the 1st period then after he took a rough tumble on the ice his play wilted right afterwards. If he's injured I really hope we can give him some recuperation time when McDavid comes back, Nuge has been too good of a player for us the past 3 years to think he just magically became worse while the majority of our roster is getting better.

The bolded jumps out at me here because you are pinning your assertion on this erroneous rationale.

Most of last season people were similarly wondering "what is wrong" with Nuge and based on indifferent play and production. Last season outside of a hot month of March Nuge only had 39pts. He had 17 of his pts in March in games against clubs like Carolina, Toronto, Columbus. This really being the only time he's been hot in years. The other months last season he never had even a double digit production month. if his March had fallen in line with his other months he would have had 9 pts at most and a season total of 48pts. Only an outlier month got him the 56. Surprised people forget that most of last season Nuge looked very ordinary and which only continues this season.

Except now he's also being a GA liability out there.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Part of me thinks he hasn't been that bad. Part of me thinks he could be replaced by Lander with little negative effect.

He still generates on occasion and battles but h is slower and has no urgency.

IMO Nuge is too good to waste away on the 3rd line. He may have lost confidence or may be pouting.

Ideally Purcell/Ebs gets moved for a pick or Defence and then we try to resurrect the snake by moving him up to mcdavid or drais wing.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Who knows what his issue is. All I know is this is not the same player I've seen in the past 4 years. By far, the worst he's looked. Just lethargic. Almost like he's got mono.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Back injury would best fit the symptoms. Look, Nuge has a long history of good two-way play, winning his share of board battles, and creating offence with good skating, edge work and vision. 100 point potential is a pipe dream, but having a 30g/70 pt two-way centre is a rare commodity. Our very own Patrice Bergeron, if you will. He just looks uncomfortable out there in all aspects of the game. That screams injury to me. Hopefully he can get his game back, since we badly need 2nd line production. If it were me, I'd package Eberle to bring in an upgrade on D and clear his $6M cap hit. I love the guy but he has too much Sam Gagner in him to chew up that much cap space. I would be very very reluctant to trade Nuge.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I was sort of tempted to say change of role; Now with Gordon gone, he's drawing the tougher defencive matchups. But in reality, due to injuries, he's more or less being used in the same situation with the same linemates as last year. Drai=Roy, Letestu=Gordon.; yet both he and Lander have struggled mightily.

For everyone wanting to get rid of him, remember what Hall was like from last year, and look at him now. Patience is a virtue.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I was sort of tempted to say change of role; Now with Gordon gone, he's drawing the tougher defencive matchups. But in reality, due to injuries, he's more or less being used in the same situation with the same linemates as last year. Drai=Roy, Letestu=Gordon.; yet both he and Lander have struggled mightily.

For everyone wanting to get rid of him, remember what Hall was like from last year, and look at him now. Patience is a virtue.

Not even close. Hall has always been a driver. He had a tough year last year, but he still carried which ever line he was on.

When has RNH ever carried a line? Never. Last year, Pouliot had a career year and was a force.
When has RNH driven offence. never. Healthy or not, He is not a 1C.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Flawed poll, your only "No injury" option is followed by "he's playing poorly". How about a "No Injury, he's playing fine it's just HFOil likes to hate on Oilers, and today's target is RNH".

He is not playing fine not even close to it. That said IMO he was better last night than some are saying he was. Overall he has played well below what he is capable of.

Who knows what his issue is. All I know is this is not the same player I've seen in the past 4 years. By far, the worst he's looked. Just lethargic. Almost like he's got mono.

Agreed, something is up.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Not even close. Hall has always been a driver. He had a tough year last year, but he still carried which ever line he was on.

When has RNH ever carried a line? Never. Last year, Pouliot had a career year and was a force.
When has RNH driven offence. never. Healthy or not, He is not a 1C.

I'm just going to leave this here.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1770225&page=12

Nuge was the driver behind his own success last year, not someone else. His struggles this year don't change that fact. Pouliot was an outstanding complementary piece to the RNH-Eberle duo, -a needed ingredient- but not the straw stirring the drink. Remember he was a guy that had struggled to put up points before the New Year. If he had been a force, he would have been carrying Arco or rookie Drai to NHL success.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Well if he has an injury, it's time to speak up and use it as an excuse. His value is plummeting. Efforts like last night are unacceptable for a FIRST OVERALL TALENT. I cannot believe THIS is what scout find for the top of the draft. He has to get his stuff together as does Eberle who's game last night was a comic highlight reel of bad play. Both are going to enter the buyout discussions at this pace.

This doesn't mean the scouts were wrong.

Being thrown into the fire from Day 1 with zero veteran support is a unique situation. It's entirely possible that if RNH develops on any non-Lowe/MacT team that he reaches his potential.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The bolded jumps out at me here because you are pinning your assertion on this erroneous rationale.

Most of last season people were similarly wondering "what is wrong" with Nuge and based on indifferent play and production. Last season outside of a hot month of March Nuge only had 39pts. He had 17 of his pts in March in games against clubs like Carolina, Toronto, Columbus. This really being the only time he's been hot in years. The other months last season he never had even a double digit production month. if his March had fallen in line with his other months he would have had 9 pts at most and a season total of 48pts. Only an outlier month got him the 56. Surprised people forget that most of last season Nuge looked very ordinary and which only continues this season.

Except now he's also being a GA liability out there.

What's amusing about the 56 number is I said earlier this year, jokingly at the time, maybe it's his offensive plateau.

Scary now that prorated, he's gonna score even less this year

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What injury do you think RNH is playing through?

My thought is a lower back injury, which would explain his skating posture being different than normal through compensation, reduced ability to win board battles, and shot velocity.

This is an interesting observation. I have noticed that he isnt as strong on his edges like he was in previous years. His mobility has droipped off.

Could very well be a back issue.

Has to be something...he is just too good a player to have his game fall off so dramatically.

Jun 22, 2009
Flawed poll, your only "No injury" option is followed by "he's playing poorly". How about a "No Injury, he's playing fine it's just HFOil likes to hate on Oilers, and today's target is RNH".

How anyone can think that RNH is playing fine is beyond me. He's been absolutely terrible since they took him off the Drai Hall line. IMO he's been the worst player on the team since then.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I don't normally do this type of thing, but I checked out the +/- stats of Nuge, Ebs, and Hall for the last 3 years. To me, this is a telling stat:

Nuge Hall Ebs Season

-12 -15 -11 13/14

-12 -1 -16 14/15

-12 +13 -14 15/16

The only player approaching 0 +/- average over the last 3 years is Hall.

I know w it's very basic stats, but it does say a bit about the players.

Last edited:

space321

May 11, 2011
Wow this fanbase is going to regret running RNH out of town. This is ****ing pathetic to read.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Wow this fanbase is going to regret running RNH out of town. This is ****ing pathetic to read.

I'd normally be on your side. But the last while, and some what in hindsight, there is pretty good cause for concern. I'm certainly not suggesting pulling the trade card out. But if an outsider (non Oiler fan )came in and said "why do you guys keep these guys", particularly 2 first line players until recently. They have basically been usurped by Drai the rookie and Purcell, the career 3rd liner. What would YOU think if you saw this happening on a different team, say Florida or something?

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I'm also curious to know why RNH gets the "Horcoff excuse" (ie. getting slaughtered by "tough competition") but no one else does. It's either that or we get excuses like a phantom injury. What use do we have for a guy who is apparently seldom 100% healthy anyway?

Get rid of him. This is Gagner all over again. Let's see if Chiarelli makes the same mistake.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

If we trade him for a Seth Jones, I seriously doubt that.

This is what is confusing to me. What is the problem with trading a good player for a good, but more needed, player?

We've tried the wait game. What has it gotten us? More lottery picks. At some point management has to start building a complete roster, which they have NEVER done in this rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad