News Article: What if?

durojean

May 29, 2007
Either way... we signed him AND we let the team go to shit. And we did this with ten mil in cap space.

Just terrible all the way around.
On that, I can't argue. I just think that trading Price was the actual way up.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
On that, I can't argue. I just think that trading Price was the actual way up.
I'm sure if Price knew what was coming, he'd have probably asked for a trade. Getting put behind what he has is just unreal. He'd still be a .920+ goalie consistently if we'd put even an average group in front of him. Instead... it's been a gong show.

Imagine the optics of trading him then though. 2014-17 he was among the best players in the league. He won the MVP in 2015. 2016 he likely would've won a Vezina and received Hart consideration (he was easily the frontrunner when he went down) and then he was a Vezina nominee in 2017. Trading him then, people would've freeeaked out. And I would've been one of them. But... nobody expected MB to do less than nothing with the team. He didn't just not add to the group, he actually made it worse. :laugh: And he did it while having 10 mil in OPEN cap space.

There's probably nobody who's angrier about this than Price. He could've got that money anywhere. Instead he stays and we ruin the team in front of him. Absolutely unreal.

durojean

May 29, 2007
I'm sure if Price knew what was coming, he'd have probably asked for a trade. Getting put behind what he has is just unreal. He'd still be a .920+ goalie consistently if we'd put even an average group in front of him. Instead... it's been a gong show.

Imagine the optics of trading him then though. 2014-17 he was among the best players in the league. He won the MVP in 2015. 2016 he likely would've won a Vezina and received Hart consideration (he was easily the frontrunner when he went down) and then he was a Vezina nominee in 2017. Trading him then, people would've freeeaked out. And I would've been one of them. But... nobody expected MB to do less than nothing with the team. He didn't just not add to the group, he actually made it worse. :laugh: And he did it while having 10 mil in OPEN cap space.

There's probably nobody who's angrier about this than Price. He could've got that money anywhere. Instead he stays and we ruin the team in front of him. Absolutely unreal.

Again, can't argue. Price was put in an awful position. The same way Subban, Weber, Pacioretty and Drouin were.

I'd even say that Bergevin is put in an awful position too. I'm pretty sure he does the best he can. He's just not fit for the job he has been put in.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Again, can't argue. Price was put in an awful position. The same way Subban, Weber, Pacioretty and Drouin were.

I'd even say that Bergevin is put in an awful position too. I'm pretty sure he does the best he can. He's just not fit for the job he has been put in.
He was clearly the wrong guy for the job.

When he was hired, as a poster I wanted to give him as much faith as I could. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. Even after the disastrous hiring of Therrien.

But from the get go, he was terrible. The absolute wrong guy for the job.

If you think about it, without superhuman seasons from Price, this team actually could've missed the playoffs every year since 2013. Look what happens whenever he gets hurt. The team tanks. In 2016 we looked unbeatable, until he got hurt and we sunk to the bottom of the league.

So much of MB's incompetence has been covered up by Price. And now it's to the point where even Price can't save the team. It's been God awful.

Reactions: MasterD and abo9

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
What if Marc Bergevin wasn’t greedy and asked too much for PK Subban?

To Edmonton: PK Subban
To Montreal: Leon Draisatl 4th overall pick

it was reappeared Bergevin asked for Oscar Klefbom or Darnell Nurse to be included.

what if he traded Subban for Draisatl and the 4th overall pick?

would we have use that pick to select Matthew Tkachuk? Or package the 4th overall pick and another asset to move up one sport to secure Pierre Luc Dubois?

Leon Draisatl
Pierre Luc Dubois
Mihkail Sergachev

guys that would have been a lot different game changing draft deals.

but instead we have a play it safe GM and 3-4 liners bargainBin specials.
I don't believe one sec this offer was on the table. The offer likely was Hall+ for Subban if there was one. But if Draisaitl+ really was offered and MB said no then he is the worst GM in the history of this team hands down.

Reactions: Vachon23

durojean

May 29, 2007
He was clearly the wrong guy for the job.

When he was hired, as a poster I wanted to give him as much faith as I could. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. Even after the disastrous hiring of Therrien.

But from the get go, he was terrible. The absolute wrong guy for the job.

If you think about it, without superhuman seasons from Price, this team actually could've missed the playoffs every year since 2013. Look what happens whenever he gets hurt. The team tanks. In 2016 we looked unbeatable, until he got hurt and we sunk to the bottom of the league.

So much of MB's incompetence has been covered up by Price. And now it's to the point where even Price can't save the team. It's been God awful.

It's all on Molson. He needs to wake up. Put someone better than him as president of hockey operations who will need to find the best DG possible. And most of all, we as fan, need to be patient all over again and temper our expectations from everyone. It's a long process.

Good thing is, the foundation does not seem so bad. We just need someone in who we have confidence that in a room of 32 people, He can outsmart most of them. We need someone with good assesment and with most of all, a legitimate PLAN. A real one.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't believe one sec this offer was on the table. The offer likely was Hall+ for Subban if there was one. But if Draisaitl+ really was offered and MB said no then he is the worst GM in the history of this team hands down.
I think Hall's a great player but what would he have really done for this club without a substitute on D?

I'll never get behind the Weber trade, it was horrible as far as I'm concerned but he was at least a steady presence on a very thing blue line. Without him it would've been even worse than we've been. Instead of tanking in 2018, it would've at least started a year earlier.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I think Hall's a great player but what would he have really done for this club without a substitute on D?

I'll never get behind the Weber trade, it was horrible as far as I'm concerned but he was at least a steady presence on a very thing blue line. Without him it would've been even worse than we've been. Instead of tanking in 2018, it would've at least started a year earlier.

I think with Price seemingly having more and more injury problems, we'll be tanking whether we like it or not. MB's not being fired this year, but his job is conditional to Price playing a lot of high level hockey.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think with Price seemingly having more and more injury problems, we'll be tanking whether we like it or not. MB's not being fired this year, but his job is conditional to Price playing a lot of high level hockey.
Price played well last year and came out with a .909. He's good enough to keep us a bubble team. That's about it.

As for his injuries, he's been one of the most durable goalies in the league. Played more games than almost anyone over the past two years. Minor injury this year cost a couple of games... no big deal.

The concussion though? That's scary. That has the potential to be a game changer. Hopefully not.

Anyways, if we did rebuild and wanted to trade him we'd have to eat half his contract. No way anyone can absorb ten mil and they certainly won't do it with his contract going until he's 38.

Reactions: abo9

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Like Radulov, Markov, Erik Cole, Cammalleri, Kovalev, young Streit, Hamrlik?

Markov and Streit were drafted by the Habs
Kovalev signed before UFA began I would believe (I don't remember and too lazy to fact check right now)

Hey we signed Alzner, one of the most sought dman that summer :o

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Markov and Streit were drafted by the Habs
Kovalev signed before UFA began I would believe (I don't remember and too lazy to fact check right now)

Hey we signed Alzner, one of the most sought dman that summer :o

I referenced Markov, Radulov, and Streit to show past opportunities we were able to sign good UFA's, but passed on doing so when we let them walk...

Kovalev and Petry are good examples of acquiring a pending UFA cheap, and then resigning them - i.e. if we utilize this option correctly, we can stop complaining about not getting UFA's, by defacto getting players about to hit the UFA market in this manner...

Radulov was probably the greatest forward UFA signing in franchise history, but also one of the better forward signings across the NHL. Too bad Bergevin didn't value him. Who's better than Radulov up front? Tavares, Panarin, Hossa. How many others?

If you count trading for a pending UFA and then signing them, how many other teams have done better than Kovalev, Radulov, Cammaleri, Gionta, Petry and Hamrlik?

#FireBergevin

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I referenced Markov, Radulov, and Streit to show past opportunities we were able to sign good UFA's, but passed on doing so when we let them walk...

Kovalev and Petry are good examples of acquiring a pending UFA cheap, and then resigning them - i.e. if we utilize this option correctly, we can stop complaining about not getting UFA's, by defacto getting players about to hit the UFA market in this manner...

Radulov was probably the greatest forward UFA signing in franchise history, but also one of the better forward signings across the NHL. Too bad Bergevin didn't value him. Who's better than Radulov up front? Tavares, Panarin, Hossa. How many others?

If you count trading for a pending UFA and then signing them, how many other teams have done better than Kovalev, Radulov, Cammaleri, Gionta, Petry and Hamrlik?

#FireBergevin
Radulov turned out to be a great signing actually. Then MB decided to play it cheap...

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

Don't forget we'd (potentially) still have Sergachev with Petry. And with Hall in, everything that happens afterwards becomes different.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Radulov turned out to be a great signing actually. Then MB decided to play it cheap...

He just didn't value him enough. He doesn't value skill, hockey IQ, etc... nearly enough. That's the main reason, imo, why we are where we are.

A boring team that doesn't win.

Reactions: MasterD

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Don't forget we'd (potentially) still have Sergachev with Petry. And with Hall in, everything that happens afterwards becomes different.
I don't see how one affects the other. We didn't have to trade Sergachev at all...

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I don't see how one affects the other. We didn't have to trade Sergachev at all...
No, but if Subban was gone then he probably doesn't trade another offensive D. And we'd have had a star forward, no need for Drouin.

I know you never know with MB, but... Chances are lower.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
What if ???? What ifs have no relation to reality, just dreams where "anything" imaginable is possible.

What if the Rocket and Henri Richard were slavic and the Habs never won a cup? Would it change the identity of this team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad