News Article: What if?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
What if we ran this team like any other pro sports team and picked the best people available to run it instead of language first?What if we actually did this maybe we would have won another cup by now instead of 28 years and counting.What if our clueless owner would figure this out by now?
Our last owner tried....

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
What if ... we stopped torturing ourselves with threads about what could have been? What if ... there were an actual news article attached to this thread, as the thread tag suggests? :sarcasm:

If coulds and buts were beer and nuts, we’d have ourselves one hell of a party.
What kinda nuts?

Reactions: Runner77

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Draisaitil was never on the table for EDM I don't what you're talking about. Bergevin was actually asking for him and EDM was offering Hall in the package and that's why the deal didn't happen

Reactions: MarkyMarkov

durojean

May 29, 2007
What year was that?

I think it was the year we did nothing at free agency and to save face he signed Carey Price to his big contract. It was clear we where heading into a reset that year. We should have used his value to get younger players

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I think it was the year we did nothing at free agency and to save face he signed Carey Price to his big contract. It was clear we where heading into a reset that year. We should have used his value to get younger players
it was the yrs we trade PK Subban

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
don't throw a bunch of garbage spanning 20 years-that's just weak
like Stamkos, Tavares, Panarin, you know, like really sought after impactful offensive players at their peak

Those players aren't garbage...

Stamkos was draft #1 overall. Tavares was drafted #1 overall, then went back to his hometown - partly because they were loaded from drafting on the lottery (tanking) so many years.

Panarin, was a miss if he wanted to come here. The second time he was a ufa, he wanted to go to a big city. The 1st time was a miss, if he wanted to come here.

#FireBergevin

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
What if I held my 35000 Amazon shares I held back in 1999 when I started day trading? Nah, I sold them to buy a new super company called Nortel, that was the real money I was told.

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES A WEEK I CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP? That's the real What If here.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
News Article?
jt.gif

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
What if Marc Bergevin wasn’t greedy and asked too much for PK Subban?

To Edmonton: PK Subban
To Montreal: Leon Draisatl 4th overall pick

it was reappeared Bergevin asked for Oscar Klefbom or Darnell Nurse to be included.

what if he traded Subban for Draisatl and the 4th overall pick?

would we have use that pick to select Matthew Tkachuk? Or package the 4th overall pick and another asset to move up one sport to secure Pierre Luc Dubois?

Leon Draisatl
Pierre Luc Dubois
Mihkail Sergachev

guys that would have been a lot different game changing draft deals.

but instead we have a play it safe GM and 3-4 liners bargainBin specials.

So there were a few rumors around this deal.

One was Draisaitl + 4th overall

For

Subban + 9th overall

Another

Hall + 4th overall

For

Subban + 9th overall

And the reason it supposedly fell a part was actually because Columbus took Dubois. The plan was to take him at 4 to he our 1c.

Jul 6, 2016
What IF Habs have drafted when they have golden opportunities one of or many of these guys:

Jeff Carter or Ryan Getzlaf
Patrice Bergeron
Claude Giroux
O'Reilly
Aho
Point
Tkachuk

Reactions: Doc5

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I believe it was Hall + 4 for Subban + 9.

So basically...

Hall + Pool Party for Weber + Drouin

Thats actually not that cut and dry for what I'd rather have lol.

Reactions: Vachon23

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
What if I held my 35000 Amazon shares I held back in 1999 when I started day trading? Nah, I sold them to buy a new super company called Nortel, that was the real money I was told.

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES A WEEK I CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP? That's the real What If here.

Ummm you do realize that Nortel was founded in 1895? So not exactly a new company but hey I get the jist.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Draisaitil was never on the table for EDM I don't what you're talking about. Bergevin was actually asking for him and EDM was offering Hall in the package and that's why the deal didn't happen
The rumoured offer was Drai + 4th. This was after Drai's 9 point season and honestly not that all impressive return to junior. The reason it "didn't happen" was reportedly Vancouver taking Dubois or Edmonton wanting us to include the 9th overall pick.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
So there were a few rumors around this deal.

One was Draisaitl + 4th overall

For

Subban + 9th overall

Another

Hall + 4th overall

For

Subban + 9th overall

And the reason it supposedly fell a part was actually because Columbus took Dubois. The plan was to take him at 4 to he our 1c.

From the rumors

Leon Draisatl, 4th overall pick for PK Subban

Bergevin wanted Edmonton to add Oscar Klefbom and a second. Edmonton told Montreal add 9th overall. Bergevin said no.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
Those players aren't garbage...

Stamkos was draft #1 overall. Tavares was drafted #1 overall, then went back to his hometown - partly because they were loaded from drafting on the lottery (tanking) so many years.

Panarin, was a miss if he wanted to come here. The second time he was a ufa, he wanted to go to a big city. The 1st time was a miss, if he wanted to come here.

#FireBergevin
Make excuses all you want, the TOP offensive free agents do not want to play in Montreal. Pressure, language, media, whatever, they do not come. Panarin would change the face of the franchise.

durojean

May 29, 2007
No it was at Dubois draft in 2016 and we trade Subban 1 week later

We resigned Price the year after. 2017

Year-by-year breakdown of Carey Price's contract - Sportsnet.ca

It was a hard time to make the decision because we just made the playoffs but it was the best time to do so. Maybe a year before would have made more sense with the atrocious season we had but Price value was probably lower because he was injured all year.

Like I said, the decision was hard to make because we had just made the playoffs and we had a new coach coming in. It was still the time because it was clear we were on the downswing. Probably should have traded Weber that year too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad