News Article: What if?

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Another subject ...The biggest what if carreer...

What if Mario Lemieux did not missed 5 1/2 seasons between 24 and 35 years old...

The dude would have scored 1000 goals..
He scored 700 and barely played at his prime...

For the record I remember that day...June 22 2016, the day before the draft.....Georges Laraque who still had many contacts with the Oilers , spoke to someone and was sure that Subban would be trade the next day to Edmonton..
He said that even if he was P.K number 1 fan..they had to put the trigger for Draisatl.

I heard too that the trade did not worked because Marc wanted Leon and the offer was Hall.

Then 7 days later...p.k and Hall were traded 20 minutes apart...

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The rumoured offer was Drai + 4th. This was after Drai's 9 point season and honestly not that all impressive return to junior. The reason it "didn't happen" was reportedly Vancouver taking Dubois or Edmonton wanting us to include the 9th overall pick.
That was what the Habs where asking but Leon was never on the table for EDM and it was after he put 51 pts in 72 games at 20 yrs after being draft 3oa 2 yrs before and had an amazing Memorial Cup 1 yrs before.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
What if we traded Price the year we should have ? What kind of player would we have got for him.

How much better the team would be ?

Is that 2009? With Subban and Patch and a 1st for Lecavalier?

But that rumour was apparently not true if to believe Gainey, his offer would have started with
Josh Gorges, Tomas Plekanec and Chris Higgins for Lecavalier

I'm so glad neither of these happened lol Nixed by the league/tampa ownership apparently

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

But that rumour was apparently not true if to believe Gainey, his offer would have started with

I'm so glad neither of these happened lol
That one would't have been bad at all.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
That one would't have been bad at all.

considering Lecavlier's lenghty contract and how fast his play went down... I rather have prime Pleky, a solid defensive D in Gorges and keep whatever add there might have been.

At the time though I would have been so happy though

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That was what the Habs where asking but Leon was never on the table for EDM and it was after he put 51 pts in 72 games at 20 yrs after being draft 3oa 2 yrs before and had an amazing Memorial Cup 1 yrs before.
No, he was. It was Bergevin asking Nurse or Klefbon on top that stopped the deal, along with Dubois going to Cb

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
considering Lecavlier's lenghty contract and how fast his play went down... I rather have prime Pleky, a solid defensive D in Gorges and keep whatever add there might have been.

At the time though I would have been so happy though

Vinny had injuries that didn't help him but without those injuries he would have been solid for a couple of yrs and he would have put that team at an other level

Reactions: abo9

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Make excuses all you want, the TOP offensive free agents do not want to play in Montreal. Pressure, language, media, whatever, they do not come. Panarin would change the face of the franchise.

its because we are mean on this forum , free agents don’t sign here. Scary stuff

durojean

May 29, 2007

I'm so glad neither of these happened lol Nixed by the league/tampa ownership apparently

No, I was talking about the year we resigned him in 2017.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
What if Bergevin would have a time machine to read Twitter this year and returns to 2016 to tell during his press conference that he tried to get X, Y and Z but why it didn't work for A, B, C reasons ? it would clean all the messages about " Bergevin being such a bad GM because he didn't trade Mete to get McDavid" kind of posts

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
What if there was no Internet; would we all cease to exist?

That might be preferable for some. The Net can be a dangerous place; not for the fainthearted. :sarcasm:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What if Bergevin would have a time machine to read Twitter this year and returns to 2016 to tell during his press conference that he tried to get X, Y and Z but why it didn't work for A, B, C reasons ? it would clean all the messages about " Bergevin being such a bad GM because he didn't trade Mete to get McDavid" kind of posts
Or how about hes such a bad GM because he just is? We dont even need to speculate on what ifs, what he has done is good enough to earn him top spot on the worst gm ever for this franchise.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No it was report multiple time at that time. EDM had a lot of big contract and they where not trading a player on ELC for a 9m contract
Absolutely no report of this is found anywhere. What we have is Chiarelli saying that he's 100% in the market for a first RD and that theres about 12 number one D in the league and that Subban is one of them.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Make excuses all you want, the TOP offensive free agents do not want to play in Montreal. Pressure, language, media, whatever, they do not come. Panarin would change the face of the franchise.

You can add the team sucking to the list...

The team will have to get top players through the draft - just like every other team.
If we can get more players like Radulov, Kovalev, Cammalleri, Hamrlik and Petry either by out right signing them as UFA's or by getting for cheap as pending UFA's and then signing them, we'll be in good shape - as long as we can draft well.

I wouldn't spend your time going into a hissy fit over the UFA market.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Or how about hes such a bad GM because he just is? We dont even need to speculate on what ifs, what he has done is good enough to earn him top spot on the worst gm ever for this franchise.
how do you want the members of this forum to discuss about our passion, when you always trow those drama over-reactions posts ?
Most members of this forum, watch , observe and than take a position about things. But few fans have their opinion already made-up, and they try to convince us, with their biased arguments, that we should agree with their dark coloured views .
" We dont even need to speculate on what ifs, what he has done is good enough to earn him top spot on the worst gm ever for this franchise "
This is such a drama queen over reaction comment. How are we suppose to discuss with that kind of attitudes from you and your little friends ? pathetic !

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
how do you want the members of this forum to discuss about our passion, when you always trow those drama over-reactions posts ?
Most members of this forum, watch , observe and than take a position about things. But few fans have their opinion already made-up, and they try to convince us, with their biased arguments, that we should agree with their dark coloured views .
" We dont even need to speculate on what ifs, what he has done is good enough to earn him top spot on the worst gm ever for this franchise "
This is such a drama queen over reaction comment. How are we suppose to discuss with that kind of attitudes from you and your little friends ? pathetic !

I'm curious, what other GM was worst?
I'll nominate the guy was there when Roy was traded (Rejean Houle I think?) I was too young to follow hockey but the way my dad talks about it... is why the team sucked so bad in the early 2000's.

But MB set (or came close to set?) new winningless streak records for a 100-years old franchise. And not talking about playoff records... where his best success were on the back of the previous management. Missing the playoff 4 out of 5 years is pretty bad too. We have good prospects in the pipeline, but no signs of actual improvement of the team as a whole coming...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What if we traded Price the year we should have ? What kind of player would we have got for him.

How much better the team would be ?
Trading Price certainly would've been better than wasting him as we have.

But honestly, he should've actually done his job and built an actual team WITH Price. Instead, he signs him. Lets Radulov and Markov leave. Gets Karl Alzner... and leaves 10 mil in open cap space. I mean, how is it even possible to be that dumb?

durojean

May 29, 2007
Trading Price certainly would've been better than wasting him as we have.

But honestly, he should've actually done his job and built an actual team WITH Price. Instead, he signs him. Lets Radulov and Markov leave. Gets Karl Alzner... and leaves 10 mil in open cap space. I mean, how is it even possible to be that dumb?

I actually think that at that point in time. He did not have the tools to build a good team around Price. Hence why I would have traded him.

Bergevin is right when he says thing like : It takes 2 to tango and that we can't do what we want. I feel like as a DG, it's pretty much impossible to build a competing team all of the time. It goes by steps and the force of the better DGs, is to assess correctly where their teams are in the moments. That's also one of Bergevin's weakest point.

Habs where at a point where our core was not enough and the up and coming teams all were developping to have a way better core than us. (And it is the case even now when you think about it)

He still had 2 really big assets to dangle to have a young core that would be amazing right now. If with Price, he could have made an other Homerun like the Pacioretty deal. If with the Subban trade he would have gotten younger players and drafts picks. We would have been way better of right now. And with insight, we probably would not have been way worse in the last 4 years. Maybe a little bit, but at least it would have been clear what we were doing.

IT IS NOT normal that Danault is in our actual core. He should be one of the best 3rd center in the league and probably the best shutdown center.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I actually think that at that point in time. He did not have the tools to build a good team around Price. Hence why I would have traded him.

Bergevin is right when he says thing like : It takes 2 to tango and that we can't do what we want. I feel like as a DG, it's pretty much impossible to build a competing team all of the time. It goes by steps and the force of the better DGs, is to assess correctly where their teams are in the moments. That's also one of Bergevin's weakest point.

Habs where at a point where our core was not enough and the up and coming teams all were developping to have a way better core than us. (And it is the case even now when you think about it)

He still had 2 really big assets to dangle to have a young core that would be amazing right now. If with Price, he could have made an other Homerun like the Pacioretty deal. If with the Subban trade he would have gotten younger players and drafts picks. We would have been way better of right now. And with insight, we probably would not have been way worse in the last 4 years. Maybe a little bit, but at least it would have been clear what we were doing.

IT IS NOT normal that Danault is in our actual core. He should be one of the best 3rd center in the league and probably the best shutdown center.
Either way... we signed him AND we let the team go to shit. And we did this with ten mil in cap space.

Just terrible all the way around.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Were not allowed to talk about other posters posting habits, by the way.

On Bergevin, he created a roster that would've made the playoffs 1 time in a span of six years, missing them in four consecutive years, and lets be honest, theyll probably miss them next year too.

This has never happened once since 1917. The worst they got was three years from 98 to 01 without playoffs, but the year prior (97) they went to the 2nd round and the year after (2002) they also went to the second round.

This is the worst era ever as a Hab fan.

Bergevin has won 3 legitimate playoff rounds in 8 seasons (Can we say 9 already? This team ain't going nowhere.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->