What if Trouba lays out Scheifele

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
That's the nice thing about AIH. We have different opinions on things which allows us as a whole to be non-biased even though we are as individuals, by nature.

I for one on draft day would have placed Forsberg ahead of Trouba but in the same teir. And, IMO, the difference between players in the same teirs is pretty negligable and subjective.

Now I may even put Trouba on a whole new teir :naughty:

But for HFBoards, it may seem like AIH is biased in opinions cos Truck and I usually align (but not as much as Grind and I).

That's cool, but it just seems like the article is basically pointless in a way. The author wants to say that he thinks Forsberg was the better pick, but doesn't have the stones to come out and say it. So he plays both sides of the fence, and if either of Trouba or Forsberg become the better player, he can point to a part of his article where he says that.

Not that it matters and this can rest as it's just my opinion, but I don't have any issue with someone liking a pick and writing an opinion piece if it's well written about why they think so. I just find it amateurish at best to write something like that where you're playing both sides of the fence, while also questioning the pick.

And no offence to Truck or garret9 who I sincerely enjoy reading posts by, but articles like that, and the recent ones on Kane find me really disappointed in the quality of what's getting posted on AIH.

Again, just my opinion, and I'm sure you disagree.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
That's the nice thing about AIH. We have different opinions on things which allows us as a whole to be non-biased even though we are as individuals, by nature.

I for one on draft day would have placed Forsberg ahead of Trouba but in the same tier. And, IMO, the difference between players in the same tiers is pretty negligible and subjective.

Now I may even put Trouba on a whole new tier :naughty:

But for HFBoards, it may seem like AIH is biased in opinions cos Truck and I usually align (but not as much as Grind and I).

I generally agree with numbers and sarcasm. :)

To be honest, some of the editorials and creative writing don't always tickle my fancy.

...like that Trouba one. I did enjoy the discussion below it though.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
As I said he didn't in the summer camp either and Mark is custom made for a player like Trouba. Jake is the goods and is showing exactly why I wanted him in the first round (thank god). I know Forsburg will be good but I said it before draft day, on draft day, and I'll say it again now after Ryan Murray I felt Trouba was the best defensman in the draft. Too early to tell of coarse but it will be nice to not have to listen to a year of teeth gnashing on our board about the wrong pick.

Ya, i think Holden, you and I may have been the only ones pushing for a 'Trouba pick' PRIOR to the draft, IIRC.

I saw some video of Trouba last year prior to the draft, and tried to post it with no luck, and he's playing pretty much exactly the same as he has this WJC. The competition was questioned at the time, but to me, his ability was evident. The kid had all the tools.

The comparisons to Foote just seemed off to me from the start. I get the battles down low comparison, but he reads the play much better and jumped into the play offensively very well.

I suggested at the time a Weber-lite comparison (and had my sanity questioned) and still feel he can develop into a special player. He still has a ways to go, no doubt, but there are many things about him you just can't teach.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Yeah there were a number of people questioning that pick. I was fine with either player at the time but so far Trouba is developing quite well. As an aside while it is still early I hope people start giving more credit to Chvy and his scouts for their drafting. Our top picks are doing exceptionally well and most of our other picks have taken steps forward.

Agree 100%, Surixon. The draft is always a crap shoot, but they have shown (with Chevy's input) they can pick some quality players.

But with every Trouba (a guy taking a step ahead and developing as hoped), there's a Sutter (a guy who's taken a step back). It's not an easy gig, but I like the picks and the fact there is organizational support for the prospects once selected.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
There definitely weren't as many as the Couturier > Scheifele crowd to begin with. I think that crowd was mostly just upset due to rankings + the previous year with not taking the "consensus" pick. I found quite a few people (myself included) were very happy with the Trouba pick.

Ya, completely understandable. In fact, i had posed prior to the draft that Forsberg, then a top 3 candidate, might slip due to the teams picking ahead of us and their needs/tendencies. I thought if he slipped to us at #9, that would be possible but highly unlikely. But if he did, that might be an obvious pick.

But i also had Trouba going either #4, #5 or #6. And there was no chance he'd be at #9 for us. Forsberg, yes - Trouba, no chance. I also had a scenario where either Murray or Forsberg fell to us at #9 - so that shows you how much i know. :laugh:

Thought Forsberg would go either #5 to TML or #8 to Carolina (prior to the Staal deal). Thought Trouba was a lock to go #6 to Anaheim with Minny (at #7) a possibility.

I really thought we were going to have to choose between Reinhart, Rielly or Dumba (whoever was still there). To have Trouba there at #9 reminded me of Sutter and Phaneuf. Chevy couldn't wait to make the pick. Hopefully, Trouba's game develops into a more complete one than Phaneuf.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ya, i think Holden, you and I may have been the only ones pushing for a 'Trouba pick' PRIOR to the draft, IIRC.

I saw some video of Trouba last year prior to the draft, and tried to post it with no luck, and he's playing pretty much exactly the same as he has this WJC. The competition was questioned at the time, but to me, his ability was evident. The kid had all the tools.

The comparisons to Foote just seemed off to me from the start. I get the battles down low comparison, but he reads the play much better and jumped into the play offensively very well.

I suggested at the time a Weber-lite comparison (and had my sanity questioned) and still feel he can develop into a special player. He still has a ways to go, no doubt, but there are many things about him you just can't teach.

Yea I saw him at the WJC last year and he is playing similar this year from what I remember and I loved what I saw. I have a personal preference for his style of play so I have a style bias to begin with but on top of that he is executing it at a really high level.

Yea Button saying Trouba is like Adam Foote is a terrible comparison IMHO.

Ironically at this point Trouba is the Couturier of this year where at least 5 teams (everyone after Montreal or perhaps Toronto) is probably asking themselves how they dropped the ball. However, I will be the first to admit that it is away too early in the process to tell how these guys will all pan out but as of today the Jets are looking like we got the 4th (or 5th) overall pick drafting out of the 9th spot.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

I for one on draft day would have placed Forsberg ahead of Trouba but in the same tier. And, IMO, the difference between players in the same tiers is pretty negligible and subjective.

Now I may even put Trouba on a whole new tier :naughty:

Mostly because you and Truck aren't the same person.

You set me up for that, sorry it took so long ;)

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Yea I saw him at the WJC last year and he is playing similar this year from what I remember and I loved what I saw. I have a personal preference for his style of play so I have a style bias to begin with but on top of that he is executing it at a really high level.

Yea Button saying Trouba is like Adam Foote is a terrible comparison IMHO.

Ironically at this point Trouba is the Couturier of this year where at least 5 teams (everyone after Montreal or perhaps Toronto) is probably asking themselves how they dropped the ball. However, I will be the first to admit that it is away too early in the process to tell how these guys will all pan out but as of today the Jets are looking like we got the 4th (or 5th) overall pick drafting out of the 9th spot.

Ya, i think Minny (and maybe Pitt) will be the team scratching their head the most. Minny drafted Dumba, likely to be that physical, hard shooting, puck moving dman that can change a game with a big goal or big hit.

To me, Trouba will be much more effective in that type of role than Dumba, mainly due to his size advantage. Trouba might just get to 6'5 (or more) and 220+ lbs, in a few years. His body should be able to withstand the pounding that style presents, similar to Phaneuf. Dumba, imo, will have a tough time translating his jr game into the NHL. The players are just so much bigger and faster.

Ducks might be happy long-term with Lindholm, and Leafs with Rielly. But, to me, the Isles (a little), Wild and Pitt will be wondering "what were we thinking".

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
That's cool, but it just seems like the article is basically pointless in a way. The author wants to say that he thinks Forsberg was the better pick, but doesn't have the stones to come out and say it. So he plays both sides of the fence, and if either of Trouba or Forsberg become the better player, he can point to a part of his article where he says that.

Not that it matters and this can rest as it's just my opinion, but I don't have any issue with someone liking a pick and writing an opinion piece if it's well written about why they think so. I just find it amateurish at best to write something like that where you're playing both sides of the fence, while also questioning the pick.

And no offence to Truck or garret9 who I sincerely enjoy reading posts by, but articles like that, and the recent ones on Kane find me really disappointed in the quality of what's getting posted on AIH.

Not going to defend everything and I don't agree with everything that gets posted (but like all of mine :P). Just like Truck I tend to agree more with the number pieces (ironically since Ben isn't writing anymore these are mostly Truck and I write these :P who would of thunk).
Well some of the articles are actually fan posts (anyone can post an article for fanposts but the editors choose what goes on the front page). I didn't mind Patti's (fanpost) and kind of likedTJ's (editorial) for his balls.

You knew that set up was straight for you :P I was waiting

Back to on topic :)
I still say my favorite comparison of Trouba is our very own Bogosian!

Specimen A:
6'2 200lbs
A smooth skater, with a high hockey IQ, ___ has already filled out his body and uses it for very solid defensive play. He can move the puck well and has an excellent shot.

Specimen B:
6'2 195lbs
He's a high-end skater and physical player who can defend very well because he stays with the fastest of forwards and he plays the body pretty well. ____ is a smart defensive player who makes good reads. He's also a solid puck-mover with decent hands.
He has a very powerful shot and is quite adept at moving the puck.

for those wondering A is Bogo and B is Trouba

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
garret I remember before we drafted him some smart posters on other boards (non Jet fans) used Bogo as a comparison.

Cam Fowler with an edge is what James Duthie on TSN said some are using. I have also heard Crownwall (I haven't watched enough of him to know). Jacob says he patterns his game after Shea Weber

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not going to defend everything and I don't agree with everything that gets posted (but like all of mine :P). Just like Truck I tend to agree more with the number pieces (ironically since Ben isn't writing anymore these are mostly Truck and I write these :P who would of thunk).
Well some of the articles are actually fan posts (anyone can post an article for fanposts but the editors choose what goes on the front page). I didn't mind Patti's (fanpost) and kind of likedTJ's (editorial) for his balls.

You knew that set up was straight for you :P I was waiting

Back to on topic :)

Specimen A:
6'2 200lbs
A smooth skater, with a high hockey IQ, ___ has already filled out his body and uses it for very solid defensive play. He can move the puck well and has an excellent shot.

Specimen B:
6'2 195lbs
He's a high-end skater and physical player who can defend very well because he stays with the fastest of forwards and he plays the body pretty well. ____ is a smart defensive player who makes good reads. He's also a solid puck-mover with decent hands.
He has a very powerful shot and is quite adept at moving the puck.

for those wondering A is Bogo and B is Trouba

Its an apt comparison although I don't think Trouba is as an explosive skater as Bogosian. I also don't think he'll ever rush the puck as effectively.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Maybe, though Trouba seems to control the flow of the game a bit, like a Weber or Doughty, and make the calm/controlled first pass... where Bogo is pure speed and power most of the time. But the skill set is definitely close.

Don't get me wrong, i like both. Most teams would kill for a young tandem of Bogo/Trouba.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

hey- I think me and garret disagreed on here.... once....somewhere....

and to make sure this isn't a spam post:

I got up at 3 oclock on sunday to watch the Can - USA game live. It was really good, and i must say both Trouba and scheifele looked really good.

When trouba started giving scheif the rough stuff in the third I immediately thought of this thread and had a little chuckle.

I thought scheife has looked really good this tournament, and the chemistry seemed just about perfect in the last game with drouin on that line.

That was the only game i've caught of trouba but he looked as advertised- controls the game defensively and has got the smarts to play on the PP.

all in all very happy with both and it's hard not to get excited, but I think it's important to keep in mind that if one of these two DOESN'T become in impact player, that's actually par for the course. Not to rain on the parade but as they say "hope for the best, prepare for the worst"

arby18

Jun 12, 2010

I generally agree with numbers and sarcasm. :)

To be honest, some of the editorials and creative writing don't always tickle my fancy.

...like that Trouba one.
I did enjoy the discussion below it though.

Thanks for the kinds words, gentlemen... :laugh:

For what it's worth, my issue with the Trouba pick was bypassing top-line talent for what I view as a 'safe' pick (though his play in the WJC has been stellar). I hope I'm proven wrong, and as I said I like Trouba. But Forsberg (or Grigorenko for that matter) still have the higher ceiling IMO.

Regardless, thanks for reading the article!

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

For what it's worth, my issue with the Trouba pick was bypassing top-line talent for what I view as a 'safe' pick. I hope I'm proven wrong, and as I said I like Trouba. But Forsberg (or Grigorenko for that matter) have the higher ceiling IMO.

Welcome to the dark side arby

I think what looked like a safe pick at that time might prove to be a savvy pick. Keep in mind this tournament is just a snap shot but I think Trouba's upside could be higher than Forsburg's and maybe not Grigs but with Grigs maximum upside being a very long shot.

I am guessing of coarse and have my homer goggles welded on tight but Forsburg doesn't seem to posses elite finishing skills however I like him allot and would have been fine with that pick. Grigs has a boom bust feel to me and although he is smooth at times it feels like he vanishes and doesn't compete. It feels like with Trouba we get our cake (very safe bet to be quality top 4 D man) and we get to eat it too (high end top 15 D in the NHL type talent). I feel like Forsburg is also a safe quality top 6 forward but I am not sure I see the same elite level (but god who knows). I could see Grigs flopping but if he hits it he could be a top 20 scoring talent in the NHL. My challenge is I give his ceiling a "MUCH" lower % of coming true.

Fun to debate and way to step into the lions den and take your lumps my friend ;):sarcasm:

Last edited:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Yeah, I think Forsberg and Trouba had similar upsides. They were both viewed as "safe picks" going into the draft.

Grigo has the best upside, but I really don't see him reaching it. He doesn't nearly have the same drive Trouba has. Which is why I'm very happy the team has chosen to draft players with that type of intangible. I don't agree with all the picks, but so far it's looking solid.

Like Ray Lewis said, "If you're not pissed off for greatness, then you're just okay with being mediocre."

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

For what it's worth, my issue with the Trouba pick was bypassing top-line talent for what I view as a 'safe' pick (though his play in the WJC has been stellar). I hope I'm proven wrong, and as I said I like Trouba. But Forsberg (or Grigorenko for that matter) still have the higher ceiling IMO.

I agree that we may regret them passing up a top line forward. However I did not agree with the comparison.

I was a member of Camp Draft a Forward, but never saw Trouba as a bad pick. Sutter on the other hand... I hated that pick.

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
Welcome to the dark side arby

I think what looked like a safe pick at that time might prove to be a savvy pick. Keep in mind this tournament is just a snap shot but I think Trouba's upside could be higher than Forsburg's and maybe not Grigs but with Grigs maximum upside being a very long shot.

I am guessing of coarse and have my homer goggles welded on tight but Forsburg doesn't seem to posses elite finishing skills however I like him allot and would have been fine with that pick. Grigs has a boom bust feel to me and although he is smooth at times it feels like he vanishes and doesn't compete. It feels like with Trouba we get our cake (very safe bet to be quality top 4 D man) and we get to eat it too (high end top 15 D in the NHL type talent). I feel like Forsburg is also a safe quality top 6 forward but I am not sure I see the same elite level (but god who knows). I could see Grigs flopping but if he hits it he could be a top 20 scoring talent in the NHL. My challenge is I give his ceiling a "MUCH" lower % of coming true.

Fun to debate and way to step into the lions den and take your lumps my friend ;):sarcasm:

Thanks for having me! Basically, I was trying to find a connection between Kopitar dropping in 2004 and Forsberg dropping this past year, and that was the angle I went with. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me (in fact, I expect and welcome it), but I still think that while we got a heck of a d-man in Trouba we missed out on one of two top-line talents in Forsberg and Grigorenko. The Jets aren't exactly dripping with top-line talent, but here we are.

I agree that we may regret them passing up a top line forward. However I did not agree with the comparison.

I was a member of Camp Draft a Forward, but never saw Trouba as a bad pick. Sutter on the other hand... I hated that pick.

Fair enough. It may have been a reach, but it certainly looks like we can agree that a top-line forward was more of a need than a solid d-man. Oh well, Trouba has been lights out and I hope I'm wrong.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

I think alot of folks were in that boat, too.

I was hoping for either Faksa or Trouba going into the draft, but thought a forward would be the greatest need as upgrades were needed in many areas there, imo.

But, looking closer at our prospects and current line-up, grabbing a physical dman with size, skill and character, made more and more sense. I never thought Trouba would be available, and thought Faksa, Reinhart or Dumba would be the players to choose from... if so, i was easily in the Draft Faksa Camp.

But when Trouba was still available, i was very pleased with the pick. So was Chevy and the rest of Jets hockey dept. :D

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think alot of folks were in that boat, too.

I was hoping for either Faksa or Trouba going into the draft, but thought a forward would be the greatest need as upgrades were needed in many areas there, imo.

But, looking closer at our prospects and current line-up, grabbing a physical dman with size, skill and character, made more and more sense. I never thought Trouba would be available, and thought Faksa, Reinhart or Dumba would be the players to choose from... if so, i was easily in the Draft Faksa Camp.

But when Trouba was still available, i was very pleased with the pick. So was Chevy and the rest of Jets hockey dept. :D

I didn't think Trouba would fall either, so I hadn't really considered Trouba vs _______ pre draft.

Watching things unfold on draft day I got caught up in the falling forwards (and beer) so it didn't really register that Trouba would be there. I surely would have taken any of the top ranked forwars over Reinhart, but Trouba wasn't expected.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks for having me! Basically, I was trying to find a connection between Kopitar dropping in 2004 and Forsberg dropping this past year, and that was the angle I went with. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me (in fact, I expect and welcome it), but I still think that while we got a heck of a d-man in Trouba we missed out on one of two top-line talents in Forsberg and Grigorenko. The Jets aren't exactly dripping with top-line talent, but here we are.

Fair enough. It may have been a reach, but it certainly looks like we can agree that a top-line forward was more of a need than a solid d-man. Oh well, Trouba has been lights out and I hope I'm wrong.

as far as Kopi dropping in 2004 I think Holden would know the back story but I think it was the strike year (lock out) and the Kings had more scouting assets in play (many clubs had down sized tonsave money) and their European scout fell in love with Kopi. they mentioned without the strike they might not had time to scout as thoroughly. Now I might have completely butchered that story so perhaps Holden can assist.

As far as this past draft I had Trouba in the 4-5 spot. I can tell you had Jacob been taken before us and Forsburg had fallen to us and we had taken any one of the defensman not named Murray I would not have been happy at that time. also I don't get too hung up on our current needs because by the time our prospect becomes an impact player our needs will probably be different. longer term (4 to 5 years out) I thought we needed another elite shut down defender.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
as far as Kopi dropping in 2004 I think Holden would know the back story but I think it was the strike year (lock out) and the Kings had more scouting assets in play (many clubs had down sized tonsave money) and their European scout fell in love with Kopi. they mentioned without the strike they might not had time to scout as thoroughly. Now I might have completely butchered that story so perhaps Holden can assist.

As far as this past draft I had Trouba in the 4-5 spot. I can tell you had Jacob been taken before us and Forsburg had fallen to us and we had taken any one of the defensman not named Murray I would not have been happy at that time. also I don't get too hung up on our current needs because by the time our prospect becomes an impact player our needs will probably be different. longer term (4 to 5 years out) I thought we needed another elite shut down defender.

Honestly, I don't know the whole story on the Kopitar thing (in 05 btw), it was pre me getting into the draft (pre finding these boards as well :laugh:. What I do know is that Kopitar was viewed as a huge risky pick. Many people questioned his drive, ability to take the more physical NHL and of course many eyebrows were raised about his birthplace which scared people quite a bit.

Another factor is that the Kings GM at the time was Dave Taylor. Now I am big supporter of Taylor and I think he did a fine job as the GM of the Kings, with the many restraints and issues he dealt with (not that I disagree with his firing). But that's a whole another story, my point is that Taylor had one particular strategy in the draft...find who slips and gobble them up. Kopitar was projected top 5, slipped to 11, so he took them. Sure looks great there...yet he did the same thing with Lauri Tukonen (projected top 5, slipped to 11) which appeased the fans well enough and Tukonen was considered the ultimate "safe" pick, his downside was Jere Lehtinen, upside of Adam Deadmarsh, that's what we were told. Yet we see how that worked out. He also had a thing for size (C Brian Boyle, RW Jen Karlsson, C Anze Kopitar, RW Dustin Brown, RW Lauri Tukonen all big boys in the first round, a mixed bag there).

So all in all, I am not sure what the Kings did for scouting last lockout TBH, nor the story on the Kings head scout. But I do know the Kings during the Taylor era loved slipping players and size (so they were considered safe players), but it was a mixed bag.

Would I have taken Forsberg or Grigorenko over Trouba. Probably.But I don't think even at the draft, Trouba was much behind and I am not sitting in a room with the players, nor have access to the many things teams are. I've learned that players that slide, slide for a reason. It may be a bogus one (Kopitar's birthplace), but it may be real (Tukonen's lack of hockey sense, Esposito's lack of drive, etc). Waiting on sliders is risky business. It fan appeasing, but not a particularly sound strategy. I'm not against it as a rule, but very often there are legitimate reasons for slides.

Now, if we are talking "safe" picks versus risky picks my opinion is to try to stay away from "safe" picks. Honestly, more of them end up busting than panning out in any capacity. I didn't view Trouba as a "safe" pick. He was defensive minded, but that far from makes him a "safe" pick. His skills were raw, unpolished. But it was his high hockey IQ that attracted me. If anything, Forsberg is the "safe" pick. His scouting report reads EERILY similiar to Tukonen's though, and that scares me.

My #1 characteristic for drafting is hockey sense. Players with hockey sense develop the other skills they need, players with high end skill and no hockey sense don't. What you see is what you get. Trouba had a very hockey IQ. You can't teach that. Physical defensive defensemen are not safe bets, look at some recent ones drafted like Colten Teubert. But Trouba's incredibly high hockey IQ is allowing him to continue to develop and work on his offensive skills well maintaining and continuing to develop his defensive game as well. It's that high hockey IQ why I did not like him projected as a defensive defenseman either. Honestly I had him pegged for a Willie Mitchell type offense at the draft, nothing unreal, but a good shot and smart passes allow him to hold his own in the offensive zone. Now he clearly is showing more. He always had a big shot and good first pass. High IQ players don't always dominate their current competition, but often make the step better than skilled guys who use those tools to dominate (ie Collberg).

Lastly, I completely agree with ps241 that current needs play next to 0 in the draft process. You want the best player. Better to deal with abundance of quality players at one position down the road, than a balanced mediocre roster. Pick the best player.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Unless a team is drafting a sure fire player that is going to step into the NHL right away (top pick), drafting for need when the draftees are usually 2+ years away from making the team, and a few years from that from being true impact players is pretty short sighted.

fmax

Jun 11, 2011
Winnipeg
It's great to see both of our prospects having a great tournament.
I've had my doubts about Scheifele in the past but I have to say that his play in this tournament is encouraging to see.
He's shown some real toughness and heart and also some nice touch around the net.
And Trouba has been one of the best players on the American team as well.
If these two players continue to progress us Jets fans have a lot to be excited about.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad