What if Trouba lays out Scheifele

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Alexei Zhamnov?

If we could have an Alex Zhamnov again I would be over the moon.

I loved that guy so much. Yes, there were nights when you wanted to throttle him, but he was an absolute magician with the puck and it was like he hovered on the ice... so smooth. Just a delight to watch.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
If we could have an Alex Zhamnov again I would be over the moon.

I loved that guy so much. Yes, there were nights when you wanted to throttle him, but he was an absolute magician with the puck and it was like he hovered on the ice... so smooth. Just a delight to watch.
Me too...
I remember being a kid with my Jets' sign that you were suppose to hold up whenever Zhamnov and Selane were on the ice *sigh*

Back on topic for me:

Question for everyone (not sure if I should turn this into another thread or not)...
Do you think Trouba will pass Jets' on importance/better-player/better-prospect (currently everywhere (HF, HP, etc) says Scheifele is the Jets' #1 prospect and Trouba #2)? If so, by when?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Me too...
I remember being a kid with my Jets' sign that you were suppose to hold up whenever Zhamnov and Selane were on the ice *sigh*

Back on topic for me:

Question for everyone (not sure if I should turn this into another thread or not)...
Do you think Trouba will pass Jets' on importance/better-player/better-prospect (currently everywhere (HF, HP, etc) says Scheifele is the Jets' #1 prospect and Trouba #2)? If so, by when?
They are pretty close, but Touba may leap him before next season at this rate. Then again Scheifele may graduate before he gets passed on prospect lists.

Hard to say when importance / better player could happen. Will depend on usage over time.Trouba looks like he has more upside, but unseating Bogo won't be easy.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I don't see Trouba playing into our plans into the short term future. We have 3 RHD that are offensive on 1-ways (Buff, Bogo, Postma) and one down at the farm (Redmond). Chevy is thinking the same thing, otherwise he wouldn't have signed Postma to a one way. I could see Postma billed as the 7th D, but we really need to solidify the left side. Enstrom, Hainsey, and Stuart, and Clitsome just doesn't cut it for me.

I wouldn't mind trading one of our RHD prospects(except Trouba) for a really solid LHD shut down guy. Doesn't have to be offensive or puck moving.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I don't see Trouba playing into our plans into the short term future. We have 3 RHD that are offensive on 1-ways (Buff, Bogo, Postma) and one down at the farm (Redmond). Chevy is thinking the same thing, otherwise he wouldn't have signed Postma to a one way. I could see Postma billed as the 7th D, but we really need to solidify the left side. Enstrom, Hainsey, and Stuart, and Clitsome just doesn't cut it for me.

I wouldn't mind trading one of our RHD prospects(except Trouba) for a really solid LHD shut down guy. Doesn't have to be offensive or puck moving.

I believe Postma has the highest trade value of the 3 (not by HF potential>proven standards) and probably the most expendable... but to get a top4 LHD will still be tough to get...
Maybe one of Postma, Redmond or Trouba will learn their offhand side other than on the PP (Trouba).

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I believe Postma has the highest trade value of the 3 (not by HF potential>proven standards) and probably the most expendable... but to get a top4 LHD will still be tough to get...
Maybe one of Postma, Redmond or Trouba will learn their offhand side other than on the PP (Trouba).

Agreed.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Guys I think we might be overplaying the left hand vs right hand shot issue a bit no? In a perfect world it's nice to have left right however last season the Detroit Red Wings had only Ian white shooting R out of their regular top 6 defenseman and they seemed to make out ok. In the WJC I have seen Trouba defending off the Left side on numerous occasions and he looked really comfortable. either way we have some time but once he's ready for the top 4 he will play in the top 4 no matter how many guys are shooting right at that time IMHO."IF" Buff continues to progress under Huddy and Trouba forces his way into our top 4 in a couple of seasons I would sleep well at night knowing we had Bogo, Trouba, Buff, and Enstrom as or group.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Back on topic for me:

It might just be me, but I am hoping that we never have that thread. Instead of being ecstatic having both, I would bet that it would turn negative.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
We are comparing Trouba to Bogo but we don't want Trouba to end up like Bogo do we? Bogo is a useless dman with no upside that is uncoachable and that is -34 and can't play hockey and should be traded straight up for Sam Gagner...... oh wait, these were the posts before the start of last season. What a difference a year makes! I can't wait to see these two on the same squad in a few years.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just had a few thoughts on Trouba.

I know he is lighting it up and he is all the rage (with non Jets fans) but I think why I am most optimistic is not because he has 8 points and is tied for 2nd in scoring. That is obviously great but players can get hot in a format like this and it doesn't always mean that much long term. For instance if Rattie went off I am not sure it would be much of an indication of how he would fair at the next level. What has pleased me the most about Trouba is not the points its about his 200 foot game. He is very calm and collected and is showing "next level" skill sets that for my money will translate extremely well to the NHL game. Salivating at the thought of Huddy grooming him!!

It got me thinking about another theory. Michigan coach Red Berenson was ripped by LA Kings GM Dean Lombardi quote:

“This guy has never had any coaching [at the University of Michigan] … Jack just did what he wanted.”

“Michigan is the worst … For hockey people, if you’ve got a choice between a kid—all things being equal—one’s going to Michigan and one’s going to Boston University, you all want your player [going to Boston University]. Michigan’s players—[head coach] Red [Berenson] doesn’t coach. It’s ‘do what you want.’ He gets the best players in the country.”

Now lets assume for a moment that Lombardi was right and that Berenson didn't give JJ special treatment because of his abundant skills. Perhaps what was a toxic fit for Johnson is a perfect fit for Trouba and let me explain. Jack probably needed to work on his complete game and Michigan was not the right place to groom his defensive skills. However, Jacob arrived in Michigan with very developed defensive skills for his age and if anything his offensive skills might have been a slight lagging area? So Jacob is allowed a bit more freedome due too Berenson's system and we are seeing the results at the WJC. The moment he gets control of the puck his head is up and he is looking for the one time breakout or stretch pass. Also he is pretty aggressive joining the rush and also releasing and committing down low in the O zone especially, but not limited to, the power play. Most of Trouba's play style wise is no suprise to me although the level he is executing it at makes me lift an eyebrow while I smile. What does suprise me is his committment to the attack and his aggression. Who knows maybe we have Red to thank for that?

edit: full disclouser on the article above here was JJ's response and the writer (Lance Callahan) of the article's opinion on the attack

Johnson replied in the LA Times Today:

“I’m a Michigan man. I’m very proud of it. I wouldn’t have it any other way … Michigan has produced more NHL players than any other school. Even the U.S. development program, people rip that and they just don’t know anything about it and don’t know what they’re talking about.”

“(Red Berenson) is one of the finest coaches and men that I’ve met. For my general manager to rip (him) as a person and criticize me as a person and as a player and call me an awful hockey player is irresponsible and unprofessional.”

My Opinion: At U of M in the CCHA, Jack Johnson was a man amongst boys. Berenson runs a tight ship, saying the players “do what they want” is laughable! Red put Johnson all over the ice to take advantage of his obvious skill. I view Lombardi’s comments as a way of him trying to stoke a fire in Johnson.

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Just had a few thoughts on Trouba.

I know he is lighting it up and he is all the rage (with non Jets fans) but I think why I am most optimistic is not because he has 8 points and is tied for 2nd in scoring. That is obviously great but players can get hot in a format like this and it doesn't always mean that much long term. For instance if Rattie went off I am not sure it would be much of an indication of how he would fair at the next level. What has pleased me the most about Trouba is not the points its about his 200 foot game. He is very calm and collected and is showing "next level" skill sets that for my money will translate extremely well to the NHL game. Salivating at the thought of Huddy grooming him!!

It got me thinking about another theory. Michigan coach Red Berenson was ripped by LA Kings GM Dean Lombardi quote:

“This guy has never had any coaching [at the University of Michigan] … Jack just did what he wanted.â€

“Michigan is the worst … For hockey people, if you’ve got a choice between a kid—all things being equal—one’s going to Michigan and one’s going to Boston University, you all want your player [going to Boston University]. Michigan’s players—[head coach] Red [Berenson] doesn’t coach. It’s ‘do what you want.’ He gets the best players in the country.â€

Now lets assume for a moment that Lombardi was right and that Berenson didn't give JJ special treatment because of his abundant skills. Perhaps what was a toxic fit for Johnson is a perfect fit for Trouba and let me explain. Jack probably needed to work on his complete game and Michigan was not the right place to groom his defensive skills. However, Jacob arrived in Michigan with very developed defensive skills for his age and if anything his offensive skills might have been a slight lagging area? So Jacob is allowed a bit more freedome due too Berenson's system and we are seeing the results at the WJC. The moment he gets control of the puck his head is up and he is looking for the one time breakout or stretch pass. Also he is pretty aggressive joining the rush and also releasing and committing down low in the O zone especially, but not limited to, the power play. Most of Trouba's play style wise is no suprise to me although the level he is executing it at makes me lift an eyebrow while I smile. What does suprise me is his committment to the attack and his aggression. Who knows maybe we have Red to thank for that?

edit: full disclouser on the article above here was JJ's response and the writer (Lance Callahan) of the article's opinion on the attack

Johnson replied in the LA Times Today:

“I’m a Michigan man. I’m very proud of it. I wouldn’t have it any other way … Michigan has produced more NHL players than any other school. Even the U.S. development program, people rip that and they just don’t know anything about it and don’t know what they’re talking about.â€

“(Red Berenson) is one of the finest coaches and men that I’ve met. For my general manager to rip (him) as a person and criticize me as a person and as a player and call me an awful hockey player is irresponsible and unprofessional.â€

My Opinion: At U of M in the CCHA, Jack Johnson was a man amongst boys. Berenson runs a tight ship, saying the players “do what they want†is laughable! Red put Johnson all over the ice to take advantage of his obvious skill. I view Lombardi’s comments as a way of him trying to stoke a fire in Johnson.

Kudos to Jack Johnson for standing up for his college coach and calling out his GM! Thats awesome!

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
He made a great team, and trading JJ was a part of that...but that comment is just ignorant.

He was also desperate when he made the JJ trade. He had many pieces in place, but still they couldn't score goals. IF the Kings didn't make the playoffs, or were outsted in the first round, Lombardi would most likely have been canned.

He made moves that ultimately won them a cup, so he should be recognized for that, but they were also the moves of a very desperate man on a very short rope, imo.

He could have very easily been run out of LA, like SJ, and we'd be talking about him as a guy that MIGHT get the pieces together and get close, but not win the big one. Luckily for him, it worked out.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
We are comparing Trouba to Bogo but we don't want Trouba to end up like Bogo do we? Bogo is a useless dman with no upside that is uncoachable and that is -34 and can't play hockey and should be traded straight up for Sam Gagner...... oh wait, these were the posts before the start of last season. What a difference a year makes! I can't wait to see these two on the same squad in a few years.

Don't really remember many of us based in Winnipeg that came down hard on Bogo, most of us took a wait and see attitude and were all very pleasantly surprised at how good Bogo is.

Right now you almost have to say Trouba is our number one prospect on D, although he is still playing against boys he looks more ready than any of the guys in St. Johns even though the A is a men's league.

Would love to see Trouba in the Jets camp in the fall. I think Chevy made a very good pick and was fortunate to get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad