Speculation: What if Ottawa pick 2 and 4

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
byfield, then stutzle if available. if not, then possibly rossi. getting your top 2 longterm centers in one draft? not bad for them

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Byfield, Stutzle, Drysdale, Rossi/Raymond, Holtz

That's my preference in order. We will not pass up on one of Byfield/Stutzle so I don't see the point in picking Drysdale 2nd. If he's picked before 4th so be it, then we roll with 2 high end forwards. Always take BPA.

It just depends if we go FF or FD with our picks. Having the 21st pick (NYI) and 4 x 2nds to move up makes things more interesting, especially if you can snag Jarvis, Lapierre or Schneider at that spot.

Last edited:

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
If I'm Ottawa and I have pick 2 and 4, I get Drysdale and Rossi.

Norris ans Rossi as top 2 centers and Drysdale and Chabot as top 2 Def down the road.

I'm a Habs fan and would love Rossi.

He and Caufield would be beautiful together on a line.

But regardless of where Ottawa picks, they are getting 2 top 5 picks and that will jump start any rebuild.

Rossi on a line with Tkachuk would be ideal for him. Brady will open up the ice for Rossi to do his magic.

Hopefully Habs win the lottery and get the French Canadian star they coveted since Lafleur.

Maybe stars aline and everyone gets what they want! ;)
If Ottawa has picks 2 and 4 and leaves the draft without either Byfield or Stutzle, they've done something wrong.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
If Ottawa has picks 2 and 4 and leaves the draft without either Byfield or Stutzle, they've done something wrong.
This. Love Rossi, but Byfield and Stutzle are on another level for me.

And they'd take one of Drysdale/Raymond with 4. I'd lean towards Drysdale tbh and target a second high-end forward with the NYI pick. Use some of that draft capital to move up if you have to. Someone like Quinn/Jarvis/Gunler/Holloway/Zary/Mercer/Perrault/Mysak.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Thats a fairly strong take on a player taken in 2019. Can you elaborate at all?

While theres been some speed bumps sure, hes a European Dman that crossed the pond, had a solid rookie debut in the WHL, then did it again this season as pro rookie in the Finnish league. Not to mention that he had a decent tourney at the WJC.

From what Ive seen and read, his shot will take him places if he can fine tune the rest of his game. His potential ceiling is surely that a solid top 4 guy. Like a lot of Sens picks, hes a very raw player with plenty of room to grow.

And for all of those reasons above (in conjunction with the Sens success at the draft table, specifically with these late rising types), hes a player that I would be fairly inclined to not take a strong stance on him either way myself.
I don't believe he thinks the game and feels the game well enough to be a high end top 4 defenceman in the NHL. I think he posseses great tangible tools. For me it's his intangible that i believe will hold him back.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I don't believe he thinks the game and feels the game well enough to be a high end top 4 defenceman in the NHL. I think he posseses great tangible tools. For me it's his intangible that i believe will hold him back.

Fair enough, time will tell I suppose.

Personally I'm impressed that hes handled himself so well with playing in 3 different leagues over 3 seasons, which probably probably didnt help him much at such at critical time in his development. And with the second season being on small ice for the first time in his life, in a new country, hes numbers certainly would suggest that hes certainly got a top 4 ceiling.

I dont think were really going to know what he is until hes had the benefit of settling in with the same group of players, and on the same rink size for consecutive years.

I'll maintain that hes a weird player to take a hard stance on considering his development path so far, and that hes arguably excelled for the most part at every step of the way.

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
keep #2, trade 4. What would #4 get you? help that rebuild move along quicker

You don’t move a top 5 pick to speed up a rebuild. There’s literally zero reason Melynk would ever be inclined to do this. Add in Ottawa is always looking for cap savings and the expansion draft will hold up teams moving high end exempt assets for deals with players needing protection.

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
Byfield at 2 and then one of Stutzle/Rossi or Drysdale is really the only way you go with this i dont think they go any other way and if they pass on Byfield at 2 they are alot worse than i thought. I dont think anyone who gets 1 trades away Lafreniere so thats pretty much the only way it will play out unless they end up winning the lottery.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Allegedly they have Stutzle at 2, Raymond/Byfield at 3.
No, they have Lafreniere 1 and have Byfield and Stutzle 2/3 in no particular order. Raymond is not in their top 3. After the top 3 I really dont have any other info.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad