Speculation: What if Ottawa pick 2 and 4

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I thing it depends on who they have targeted with the NYI pick. If they thing they can land a forward, they take Drysdale. But if they have a defenseman in mind, take another forward.

The Sens NEED a centerman from the top two picks. If they get #1, their second pick needs to play center.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Do you think they pick 2 forward?

Do they pick Dysdale to be sure to pick a d-man and go with byfield/stutzle/Rossi at 4?
Im bored and i just want to talk about the draft and the strategy Ottawa will take
Trade for the first and we add L. Brown and maybe a second round if the other team want more. If not I pick Stutzle and Raymond

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Nah I dont think they would take Drysdale just to lock down a dman and play a numbers game like that. They will take BPA. Drydale is a good solid dman but I dont know if hes worth taking over some of those other names. They should take Byfield or Stuzle then see whos still available at 4, in this hypothetical.

Reactions: uncleben

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Trade for the first and we add L. Brown and maybe a second round if the other team want more. If not I pick Stutzle and Raymond
What has happened to Brown? I thought he may have been a regular by now. I remember the 2016 draft I was really hoping the Canucks were going to take him because we lacked centers and thought his big frame could make him fairly successful at the NHL level.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
What has happened to Brown? I thought he may have been a regular by now. I remember the 2016 draft I was really hoping the Canucks were going to take him because we lacked centers and thought his big frame could make him fairly successful at the NHL level.
He have big frame but with no hart and make of glass ( often injury )

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007

I think the consensus on Brown was that he was always going to be a longer term project. He's playing well, but he literally was drafted with no muscle on his frame.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Blame the referee

Aug 24, 2014
Granby
Nah I dont think they would take Drysdale just to lock down a dman and play a numbers game like that. They will take BPA. Drydale is a good solid dman but I dont know if hes worth taking over some of those other names. They should take Byfield or Stuzle then see whos still available at 4, in this hypothetical.
I think Drysdale is as valuable as byfield or Stutzle. His skating and is playmaking are elite

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I feel for the Sens getting a top end centre man is more important than getting a top end RHD. They might even want to go Byfeild + Rossi if they get the chance to nearly ensure they get a top end centre.

Reactions: BlueBaron

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I have not paid close attention to this draft but a team as bad as Ottawa should absolutely draft BPA.

The OP asks what will happen? If I assume they agree with Central Scouting Byfield is a good candidate, they need a C and his size is sexy. That said they also have the luxury of going for Drysdale and then grabbing the top C that is there at 4.

This is where scouting comes in, Rossi is a player I'm sure they know well and having done junior there that's a nice story. Maybe they like another guy.

It also would not kill them to grab Byfield and another C assuming Drysdale is gone. There are worse strategies.

The OP asks a very tough question and I am only confident in saying they will get at least 1 C with those picks. I would think Byfield.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I feel for the Sens getting a top end centre man is more important than getting a top end RHD. They might even want to go Byfeild + Rossi if they get the chance to nearly ensure they get a top end centre.
I was thinking the same, they have to have a strong 1-2 to face some divisional rivals....:DD

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Byfield at 2 and then one of Stutzle or Rossi at 4.

Take a Dman with the Islanders first later on in the first round but they dont need to make Defense a priority in the Top 5. Especially not when they already have Chabot as that workhorse #1D sort, and they have a pretty high end D prospect in the system currently in Brannstrom and a couple other intriguing pieces like Thomson and JBD.

Get the big future #1C in Byfield and elite offensive winger in Stutzle or Rossi at 4. Between those 2 guys, and Tkachuk already in Ottawa that has all the makings of a fantastic forward group.

And the defense would still be quite strong as well. Especially if they add a Dman like Braden Schneider with the Islanders pick to go along with Chabot and Brannstrom.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
I think the consensus on Brown was that he was always going to be a longer term project. He's playing well, but he literally was drafted with no muscle on his frame.
Thought he may have filled out by now. Thats unfortunate for the Sens.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Brown was drafted as a project - a 6"6 C who had yet to begin weight training and had a very raw game. He has consistently improved his game since then, and has put up 70pts in 81 AHL games + 8pts in 25 games since leaving the O. His skating has improved, he's very good at winning open-ice puck battles, his defensive game is developing and he's getting stronger. I believe he is not far off at all from running an NHL power play, although his game may take longer to develop at ES. So long as he continues to improve, though, I think he will be a very unique player. Maybe not a top line C, but a guy who can dominate on the PP and play a very strong possession game at ES.

Thought he may have filled out by now. Thats unfortunate for the Sens.

Well, he's not a twig. He's 220 lbs and has shown the ability to physically dominate players. I think the bigger issue with Logan is consistently using his strength and size to his advantage. He will still get stronger, but I certainly don't think his strength is anything close to being a weakness.

Byfield at 2 and then one of Stutzle or Rossi at 4.

Take a Dman with the Islanders first later on in the first round but they dont need to make Defense a priority in the Top 5. Especially not when they already have Chabot as that workhorse #1D sort, and they have a pretty high end D prospect in the system currently in Brannstrom and a couple other intriguing pieces like Thomson and JBD.

Get the big future #1C in Byfield and elite offensive winger in Stutzle or Rossi at 4. Between those 2 guys, and Tkachuk already in Ottawa that has all the makings of a fantastic forward group.

And the defense would still be quite strong as well. Especially if they add a Dman like Braden Schneider with the Islanders pick to go along with Chabot and Brannstrom.

Yeah, this is where I lean as well (although I think Stutzle and Rossi can both play C in the NHL). I like Drysdale, but not in the top 4.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There's no way you skip on Drysdale because you have Brannstrom in the system. Both are small offensive defensemen, but I don't think Brannstrom's a franchise cornerstone level prospect that would have you say no to another superior defenseman.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I wouldnt be surprised if Drysdale goes 3. If LA picks 3rd, I think they take him considering they havent taken a dman with their first 1st rd pick since 2010.

Turcott,Vilardi,Kaliyev,Kupari,Thomas.Anderson-Dolan, Grundstrom vs Clague and Bjornfot..yeah they taking JD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->