Speculation: What if Ottawa pick 2 and 4

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Byfield and Drysdale. That being said as well if the Sens could somehow snag Jack Quinn as well it would be scary to say the least.

bit of a stretch to expect him to drop out of the top 20. How does he get past edmonton?

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Saw Rossi live this year for the 67's. That kid is absolutely dominant. I'm sure they will give him a good, long look.

I know Drysdale would be great for their young D corps, but imagine getting Byfield and Rossi in one swoop like that? To add to a young group like Thachuk, Formenton, White, Batherson and Brown. It would certainly turn their non existant offense into a force in the next 3 years. And even without Drysdale, they still got Chabot, Bernard Docker and Branstrom. That's still a rock solid young D corps.

It seems to me that most teams that have multiple picks in the 1st round tend to take a forward and d-man, and Drysdale may be hard to pass on, but I get what you mean, the idea of getting 2 top forwards in one swoop may be hard to resist ! Byfield, Stuetzel, Perfetti and Rossi all appear to be top quality forwards! :)

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
If I'm Ottawa and I have pick 2 and 4, I get Drysdale and Rossi.

Norris ans Rossi as top 2 centers and Drysdale and Chabot as top 2 Def down the road.

I'm a Habs fan and would love Rossi.

He and Caufield would be beautiful together on a line.

But regardless of where Ottawa picks, they are getting 2 top 5 picks and that will jump start any rebuild.

Rossi on a line with Tkachuk would be ideal for him. Brady will open up the ice for Rossi to do his magic.

Hopefully Habs win the lottery and get the French Canadian star they coveted since Lafleur.

Maybe stars aline and everyone gets what they want! ;)

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
I like Ottawa´s young defence as is ... Chabot, Brannstrom, Lassi Thomsen (and even Bernard-Docker as a potential addition in two-three years). I would swing for the fences in terms of the offensive prowess that is available. Lucas Raymond would look good in Ottawa as well.

Reactions: SI and insomniac

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Honestly with chabot and brannstrom in the fold and Bernard-docker on the cusp. (I’m not a lassi Thomson fan at all). I wouldn’t mind them going two forwards and really go all out in obtaining a superstar fwd and hopefully both turn out to be top 6 options if not a high end top line duo to go with tkachuk, white, batherson and company.....into the future.

But at the end of the day you’re drafting 18 year olds. It’s about to taking the two players u believe project to be the best players regardless of F or D

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I’m not a lassi Thomson fan at all.

Thats a fairly strong take on a player taken in 2019. Can you elaborate at all?

While theres been some speed bumps sure, hes a European Dman that crossed the pond, had a solid rookie debut in the WHL, then did it again this season as pro rookie in the Finnish league. Not to mention that he had a decent tourney at the WJC.

From what Ive seen and read, his shot will take him places if he can fine tune the rest of his game. His potential ceiling is surely that a solid top 4 guy. Like a lot of Sens picks, hes a very raw player with plenty of room to grow.

And for all of those reasons above (in conjunction with the Sens success at the draft table, specifically with these late rising types), hes a player that I would be fairly inclined to not take a strong stance on him either way myself.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Honestly with chabot and brannstrom in the fold and Bernard-docker on the cusp. (I’m not a lassi Thomson fan at all). I wouldn’t mind them going two forwards and really go all out in obtaining a superstar fwd and hopefully both turn out to be top 6 options if not a high end top line duo to go with tkachuk, white, batherson and company.....into the future.

But at the end of the day you’re drafting 18 year olds. It’s about to taking the two players u believe project to be the best players regardless of F or D

this is a big thing, im happy that these two picks are high picks so when the sens value character they will also get skill out of it.

Ottawa needs skill and a whole lot of it. Take the players that the sens scouting staff considers to be the most skilled and go from there

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I like Ottawa´s young defence as is ... Chabot, Brannstrom, Lassi Thomsen (and even Bernard-Docker as a potential addition in two-three years). I would swing for the fences in terms of the offensive prowess that is available. Lucas Raymond would look good in Ottawa as well.

Agreed. Also, JBD and Lassi are the same age, but I'd say JBD seems a bit more refined that Lassi and will probably make the jump first. Both should be in Belleville next season.

And yeah I'm happy with Drysdale but I think I'd prefer to go with 2 forwards, we need the high-end skill up front.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Byfield at 2, hope for Drysdale at 4. If Drysdale is gone, you “settle” for Rossi.

That would be a helluva 1-2 down the middle for the next 10+ years.

If they've already taken Byfield I wouldn't take Rossi unless they fell he is the best prospect on the board. With Norris, Brown and White down the middle I think you take your chances with those four if you feel a winger prospect is the better pick.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If they've already taken Byfield I wouldn't take Rossi unless they fell he is the best prospect on the board. With Norris, Brown and White down the middle I think you take your chances with those four if you feel a winger prospect is the better pick.
There is no chance they are taking Rossi over Byfield or Stutzle. If they pick 2 and 4 it will be a combination of two of Byfield, Stutzle and Drysdale.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
As i wrote in the sens board, One of the mistakes regarding rebuilds is that teams don't balance their D and instead have an overpowered forward core and a mediocre Defense or vice versa. JBR, chabot, Dysdale(if we get him) and Branstrom along with Thompson will if they all pan out have us set on defense.

In terms of the 2nd-3rd line guys I think we’re good there as well. Byfield/stützle will help our rebuild. After looking at the 2021 kids Im becoming more open to picking Stützle and Byfield and perhaps grab Luke Hughes next year(his brothers Jack Hughes NJD, and Quinn hughes have said he’s the more talented brother)

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Agreed - double down on Byfield and Stutzle and pick BPA with the later #1 they could go with Best D prospect too

Reactions: Bileur

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
As i wrote in the sens board, One of the mistakes regarding rebuilds is that teams don't balance their D and instead have an overpowered forward core and a mediocre Defense or vice versa. JBR, chabot, Dysdale(if we get him) and Branstrom along with Thompson will if they all pan out have us set on defense.

In terms of the 2nd-3rd line guys I think we’re good there as well. Byfield/stützle will help our rebuild. After looking at the 2021 kids Im becoming more open to picking Stützle and Byfield and perhaps grab Luke Hughes next year(his brothers Jack Hughes NJD, and Quinn hughes have said he’s the more talented brother)

this is actually code for being the worst brother

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Do you think they pick 2 forward?

Do they pick Dysdale to be sure to pick a d-man and go with byfield/stutzle/Rossi at 4?
Im bored and i just want to talk about the draft and the strategy Ottawa will take

Not a bad strategy if Drysdale is the no 1 target.

But I would think one of Byfield or Stutzle will be too hard to pass up. And if you don't get Drysdale it means you're getting Byfield and Stutzle, which would be a pretty good day I'd say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->