What if David Desharnais produces this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You trade him if the opportunity is there, unless we're a top seeded team and he's playing a key role in it, that's the only reason why I'd keep him but that would also depend on the return.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Id be happy if he prodeuced on the "now" because it helps the team win. But it would mainly make me happy because his trade value would be huge and we could trade him for a quality player

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Keep him. 60+ points is quite rare. I like having a top-9 mix like we do. Of course, we have to see how it all plays out, but if DD and Patches click and put up big points, and having Plekanec with the veteran wingers and the dynamic burgeoning EGG line... I would be very happy to see DD put up points and stay. (And all the other centers stay too - keeping DD does not at all imply trading anybody else).

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Would you still wanna trade him for pocket change?

seems like most of the fans on hfboards wants him gone.

I could see him getting another season of 55-60 points if the power play works and Pacioretty & Briere score some goals.

That's the habs plan, have him put in a good year and trade him to a center-starved team for good return(good young player or high pick) and move Galchenyuk to center.

NewHabsEra*

Desharnais has been very very impressive in pre-season, He seems faster than ever and is pretty slick with the puck.. I like the way he is playing right now, seems very confident and determined.. I think he will have a big season..

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Obviously it's always positive when a player has a good season, but in terms of what we would do with him, I think it depends more of his competitors in the club. If Eller and Gally continue their progression they'll probably get the nods as our next first-two line centers and assuming Plekanec still goes on for a few more years I prefer keeping him than Desharnais.

But a good offensive center - even one with Desharnais shortcomings - is a cool commodity to have. We could use him to get that great RW we need, or a significant upgrade at D.

Ah... I still remember the days when our top-3 centers where Koivu-Perreault-Juneau. Compare that with an hypothetical Galchenyuk-Eller-Plekanec. We came from having a sad center line, so sad we ended up making the Gomez trade, to one of the deepest team at center in the league.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It always depends on the return.

I might add he's obviously not the only one who could be traded.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
You don't trade him for pocket change.

You do trade him while his value is high if possible. Some people irrationally hate him, he is very much an NHL level playmaker, but the problem is on a team with a legion of ~60 point centers (which isn't actually a bad thing), he's the most disposable.

Legion? In last 3 years only one center hit 60 points(or 60 points/82 game pace)...DD and he only did it once. This isn't even a pump up for him but we clearly don't have a plethora of 60 point centers.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....&position=S&country=&status=&viewName=summary

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....&position=S&country=&status=&viewName=summary

DD is what he is. He will be moved eventually, doubt he plays all 4 years here. I don't see a particular need to trade him, high or low value unless it helps the team.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
There's another center I can see go but I personally wouldn't approve of it. I just think it's possible.

I don't know which one of Plekanec or Eller you consider not movable under any circumstances.

But in any case, I disagree.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Doesn't matter much. If he's a 60pts+ by trade deadline and MTL is likely to be in the playoffs, you don't move him. If he produces in the playoffs as well, you can't trade him. If not, you trade him but you still get pocket change for him. Only way Bergevin trades him at high value is if he gets 60pts+ and MTL doesn't make it

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Doesn't matter much. If he's a 60pts+ by trade deadline and MTL is likely to be in the playoffs, you don't move him. If he produces in the playoffs as well, you can't trade him. If not, you trade him but you still get pocket change for him. Only way Bergevin trades him at high value is if he gets 60pts+ and MTL doesn't make it

60+ points by trade deadline could make him Top-10 (depending what the + is) in the whole league at that moment.

The last time such a thing happened was... Well, I'm TOTALLY sure about this, but it was 27 years ago. Mats Naslund.

In the interim, we had only one players in the Top-15. That was Kovalev.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Legion? In last 3 years only one center hit 60 points(or 60 points/82 game pace)...DD and he only did it once. This isn't even a pump up for him but we clearly don't have a plethora of 60 point centers.

DD is what he is. He will be moved eventually, doubt he plays all 4 years here. I don't see a particular need to trade him, high or low value unless it helps the team.

We have a lot of players with the ability to produce 60ish points. They can't all do it, since we have to shelter some players.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
David Desharnais is just to one-dimensional for me. Either he's your top centre or he's out of the line-up. Unless he put up 100 pts and win the Art Ross, he's expendable. By that same token his one-dimensinal nature will not fetch us very much.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
David Desharnais is just to one-dimensional for me. Either he's your top centre or he's out of the line-up. Unless he put up 100 pts and win the Art Ross, he's expendable. By that same token his one-dimensinal nature will not fetch us very much.

In which case, he'd be totally underpaid, thus would make this board spontaneously combust.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
We have a lot of players with the ability to produce 60ish points. They can't all do it, since we have to shelter some players.

So because DD hit 60 points once in 3 years, it stopped everyone else from being productive? A little stretch.

Even before DD was a regular we had no 60 point center.

Edit: The year he wasn't here all season.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
Would you still wanna trade him for pocket change?

seems like most of the fans on hfboards wants him gone.

I could see him getting another season of 55-60 points if the power play works and Pacioretty & Briere score some goals.

Then we could trade him for more.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
lol @ people seeing Eller and Chucky as sure-thing-60+pts players. They're not there yet and they may very well never be (yes Chucky too).
But hey, let's get rid of our 60pts center to make sure they get a chance!

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Just before he signed his extension I was thinking 'great, they'll get something decent for him in the offseason'

So yeah boot his bum first chance

One less centre to hold back Briere.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
lol @ people seeing Eller and Chucky as sure-thing-60+pts players. They're not there yet and they may very well never be (yes Chucky too).
But hey, let's get rid of our 60pts center to make sure they get a chance!

To be fair, DD isn't a sure thing 60 point player.

We have no star center, we shouldn't trade depth for the hell of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad