What if David Desharnais produces this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Someone gets it. It's not that people of Desharnais' stature can't be successful. It's just not his game. He's one dimensional and no team has ever been successful with that type of player as their #1 center. He's no St. Louis or Ronning, well said. If he was, this conversation would never happen. Heck, look at the love for Gallagher. Case and point.

Getting it? :laugh:

You don't get the thread's context. If Desharnais produces it's because HE IS FITTING! Otherwise he wouldn't right... right..

MTLSandman*

You know, of every NHL players, DD is the one that made me eat crow the most. I'm done saying bad things about him.

Honestly, I don't know why so many on here want him to fail miserably... He's a Hab, a homegrown talent, and he actually has a great story of hardwork and determination of how he got to the nhl.

We all know he's short, but the guy gives 110% when playing and actually creates way more offense than any of our forwards. He's a much better playmaker than anyone else on our team, not to mention our #1 winger is best friends with him and has said multiple times that he would never have gotten where he is if it weren't for David.

So enough with the bashing, support your god damn players because whether you like it or not, they wear the CH, and last I checked, we are all rooting for the same team...

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
Getting it? :laugh:

You don't get the thread's context. If Desharnais produces it's because HE IS FITTING! Otherwise he wouldn't right... right..

In his first year I was saying we should get rid of him. His game doesn't suit us no matter if he gets 60 points. He lacks grit, board play and goal scoring. He's a pass first passive player. You won't win with him in the playoffs.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
Honestly, I don't know why so many on here want him to fail miserably... He's a Hab, a homegrown talent, and he actually has a great story of hardwork and determination of how he got to the nhl.

We all know he's short, but the guy gives 110% when playing and actually creates way more offense than any of our forwards. He's a much better playmaker than anyone else on our team, not to mention our #1 winger is best friends with him and has said multiple times that he would never have gotten where he is if it weren't for David.

So enough with the bashing, support your god damn players because whether you like it or not, they wear the CH, and last I checked, we are all rooting for the same team...

I don't care about the regular season. He isn't a playoff player. I could care less if we finish first in the conference and get our ***** kicked in the playoffs. We need to build our team to succeed there. He's the easiest player to stop in the post season.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
I would personally rather have Galchenyuk get those minutes full time.

Me too, but I'd also like to give some actually good wingers to play with if he's a center, so that we can use him truely in an offensive role. Not with the likes of Moen...

I don't knoe if it would be the case

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Yeah right.

You need to make a difference between not thinking he's the solution for a championship team and wishing him to fail.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
Me too, but I'd also like to give some actually good wingers to play with if he's a center, so that we can use him truely in an offensive role. Not with the likes of Moen...

I don't knoe if it would be the case

CoughcoughPlekaneccough

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
exactly lets put this dd crap into perspective

he can play in this league , no arguement from me

BUT......

I dont care if he scores 90 points a year ...

YOU CANT WIN WITH A DD ON YOUR TOP 6 OR LINEUP , LOOK AT THE LAST 3 CUP WINNERS

NO ONE HAS A DD IN THIEIR LINEUP , TOO MANY HOLES IN HIS GAME TO BE AN EFFECTIVE PLAYER , CANT PLAY ON YOUR TOP 6 , NO ROLE FOR THE BOTTOM 6

secondly , if these were the Habs of years ago fine keep him , you had a declining Koivu , Lappiere , Lang and a younger Pleks , and no depth , kids or anyone coming up

you needed him to buy some time plus he was a local kid

BUT THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR SIGNING HIM TO AN EXTENSION

ELLER, GALCHY AND PLEKS ARE BIGGER , BETTER , THERE IS NO DEBATE HERE , YOU CAN ARGUE TIL THE COWS COME HOME , THIS WAS AN ABSOLUTE STUPID SIGNING
THAT WILL NEVER MAKE SENSE , HE IS A BAD USELESS FIT IF YOU WANT TO WIN

Whoa...

50-60 points with low D responsibilities, I would say it's still better to trade him. If he can score 90 points that changes everything since it would mean having him in the exploitation role actually makes him dangerously productive. It would mean he's worth using to exploit.

Habs Junkie

Feb 24, 2009
Montreal
To me, the thing I dislike the most about DD being spoon fed all these opportunities is that we're wasting Pacioretty's prime years. Pacioretty doesn't need to be sheltered, and can contribute so much more in all aspects of the game, but is limited because the last 3 coaching staffs believe those two should be glued together. I remember Max playing about 2 games with Plekanec and they looked really good together, but having those two paired up would really make DD completely useless.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
if he produces this year you move him for assets at a position of weakness.

Plekanec, Galchenyuk and Eller eventually need to be our top 3 up the middle.

I think next year would be a good time to start

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
This again. Can't win playoffs with small centres?

1993 was not that long ago. If anything, the game was far more violent back then. Scott Stevens was allowed to hit guys in the head to knock them unconscious, and he made it to the Hall of Fame primarily for doing just that.

So 1993. Our # 2 center was...... Stephan Lebeau. Not exactly the prototypical Jonathan Toews type centre that most of you seem to think is necessary to win a Cup.

But wait, we must have had some really big other centres on the team, right? Well, after Muller, we also had a rather diminutive but effective Guy Carbonneau at 5'11", the hulking 5'9" Paul DiPietro and known pugilist 5'10" Denis Savard down the middle.

There is no blueprint for winning a Stanley Cup. Having one guy on your team that happens to be fairly productive does not automatically exclude the possibility of winning the Cup. That's not how it works.

If someone can show me how trading or ditching Desharnais makes the Habs a better team, I'm all ears. But throwing him on the scrap heap does not improve the situation. At all. Trading him for a pick doesn't help either, since the pick will likely never play in the NHL, let alone put up 60 points any time soon.

MTLSandman*

To be honest, DD has been one of our best players in preseason so far. Him and patches work magic. Now I know this is preseason only, but he's greatly outplayed the messiah Eller. Why don't we just wait to see how he does before we all want him gone. Any player who gets 60+points a season is more than welcome on my team, regardless of size.

attachetatuque

un gros bonhomme!
Feb 1, 2013
I had a dream last night that we traded DD, Diaz, and Leblanc for GGY's 1st round draft pick which turned out to be Aaron Ekblad. Make it happen Marc!

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
Whoa...

50-60 points with low D responsibilities, I would say it's still better to trade him. If he can score 90 points that changes everything since it would mean having him in the exploitation role actually makes him dangerously productive. It would mean he's worth using to exploit.

Yeah and he would cost 3.5 million a year. Who averages 50-60 points a year, let alone 90, that makes that little?

The problem is not that we have DD. It's that we have him and four others who are small in the top 9. I just don't see why people don't give him a chance to prove himself, especially when we're not quite there to compete for a cup anyhow. Eller and Galchenyuk are not ready to be dominant, so this year and next are the years to realy watch and see how DD does. Not last year.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
Wait right now, unless Edmonton wants him now an give a decent pick for him since they're down centers with injuries :naughty:

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
The thing about Desharnais is that he's a known quantity.

He's good offensively, but he's not the guy that'll be a stalwart defender when you're 1 up with 3 minutes to go. In a sense, he's easy to coach and use by Therrien, because you know when to use him. He's also a hard worker.

If the rest of the team bulks up, as it's doing right now, it's fine to have a player like him. He tires the defense by always being very quick on the puck carrier, always skating fast in the O-zone, good at circling the puck, and him and MaxPac seem to get along very well.

At 4 Mil he's a bit overpaid, granted, but if he produces at an expected pace (0.75 ppg) and doesn't slow down in the playoffs, you keep him. Better the devil you know than the one you don't.

Of course, if Bergevin gets an offer he can't refuse...

Moreover, as we're seeing also on defense, you can never have too many guys that can play center well. Gives you safety on the line if the main center gets kicked out during faceoff, and injuries happen.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The other problem with Desharnais is that, when he has a bad night... That's a really bad night.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I don't see a trade market for DD. Grabovski is a more proven center, was known for having a tonne of heart in Toronto, (see how he played against Chara), and Grabovski had a hard time getting a contract.

If teams won't sign players like him as a UFA, they won't be trading for DD.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I don't see a trade market for DD. Grabovski is a more proven center, was known for having a tonne of heart in Toronto, (see how he played against Chara), and Grabovski had a hard time getting a contract.

If teams won't sign players like him as a UFA, they won't be trading for DD.

Grabovski had a hard time getting a contract anywhere close to his last one, but I think Washington's signature went onto that 1 year, $3 million offer faster than 1.21 gigawatts gets you back to the future.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I hope he does well. So we can trade him more easily. :handclap:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
To be honest, DD has been one of our best players in preseason so far. Him and patches work magic. Now I know this is preseason only, but he's greatly outplayed the messiah Eller. Why don't we just wait to see how he does before we all want him gone. Any player who gets 60+points a season is more than welcome on my team, regardless of size.

This... if the guy is producing 60+ points in the NHL, that is pretty good. How can people keep arguing in the face of impressive #s?

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Until someone is ready, and steals the role from DD, he is the best we have at that spot. So, I want this guy to fill the stat sheet with assists, every night.

I do not want him to fail, but I do not believe he is the type of player you build a winner around.

When the time comes, he will be replaced, but that will be a question of timing.

If the Kings suddenly thing that they are too stacked down the middle, I will accept Kopitar in a trade, or as a RFA. Same for Toews, H. Sedin, Getzlaf, Carter, E. Staal, Gino, etc.... but that is a very far fetched scenario.

Best bet is to wait for the Galchenyuk, Eller, Pleks (at Center) era to begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->