What happened to Michael Grabner

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Guy's not really playing on a scoring line. He's playing with Nielsen who's an excellent defensive forward and Okposo who's more a power forward type that doesn't really score a lot. They all compliment eachother perfectly at the moment and Grabner has also gained confidence and makes great use of his speed. Simple things really.

This

Grabner is playing with two solid players, Frans Nielsen is an excellent defensive minded center who is also pretty good at setting people up, and Kyle Okposo does all the dirty work along the boards.

Love this line!

DaMick

at least we got D
Dec 10, 2003
Purgatory
Visit site
Hes doing quite well this season moreso than i thought he would.

Hes developing quickly on that line (Frans,KO) and becoming a well rounded player.

For those of you who haven't watched Isles game ...

Grabner rarely gets PP time.

Solid waiver pickup by Garth.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
What did the all star-game did to him?

9g 3p, 12 pts since then.

Absolutely nothing. He was playing great hockey before that. He's been getting the chances all year but now he's just getting more of them and finishing better than he was earlier.

And to the Isles fans who think our 2nd line isn't a scoring line? Ummm what?
Just because Frans and KO are great defensibly doesn't mean they are not part of our scoring unit.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
The effect of playing with Frans Nielsen can't be emphasized enough. Watch nearly every Grabner goal, you'll see a pass by Frans Nielsen, or a turnover caused by Frans Nielsen.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Edler4Norris

Nucks / Flyers
Aug 15, 2010
The Rock
He finally put his game together. He was also taking advantage to the lack of pure roster talent and meshed with this team. The kid has always had the skill. Amazing how Florida looks mental for letting him go.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
He's streaky, and is just taking advantage of extra ice time on an overall much weaker roster. Remember that he was developed in the Canucks system, so you know that he's had 'be defensively responsible first' drilled into his brain non-stop since he was drafted. His development wasn't rushed by bringing him up before he was ready out of necessity.

petrocelli

I love the Draft!!
Jan 5, 2009
Florida just had too many offensive weapons to keep him around.

LOL.... hope that is sarcasm.. What offensive weapons are u referring to??

Grabner now has 9 more goals than any Florida player...

surely, they would be able to squeeze him in on the fourth line.. :sarcasm:

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
He's streaky, and is just taking advantage of extra ice time on an overall much weaker roster. Remember that he was developed in the Canucks system, so you know that he's had 'be defensively responsible first' drilled into his brain non-stop since he was drafted. His development wasn't rushed by bringing him up before he was ready out of necessity.

That's not really true. He doesn't get much power play time with the Isles, and his ice time didn't increase until he started tearing it up.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I'm still kind of baffled by some of Tallon's recent moves. One of the worst offensive teams in the league, Weiss leads the team both in goals (15) and points (37), yet they dump two of their most talented offensive players in Frolik and Grabner while getting back basically nothing but Skille? Especially strange since Frolik is 22, Grabner 23, and they're rebuilding, you'd think young forwards with high offensive upside is exactly the kind of players they'd want to keep around?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm still kind of baffled by some of Tallon's recent moves. One of the worst offensive teams in the league, Weiss leads the team both in goals (15) and points (37), yet they dump two of their most talented offensive players in Frolik and Grabner while getting back basically nothing but Skille? Especially strange since Frolik is 22, Grabner 23, and they're rebuilding, you'd think young forwards with high offensive upside is exactly the kind of players they'd want to keep around?

Grabner has said he had a terrible training camp,has no one but himself to blame.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

There's no glossing over it. His moves have been Mad Mike bad. Having a player like Grabner get released on waivers perform like this gets you fired, whether one can defend the move or not.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Hockify

Mar 27, 2008
New York

:help: Sounds reasonable except that isn't what's happening. He is not getting what anyone could really call extra ice time.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I think he has more freedom to roam in NYI than he had in De Boer's structure in FLA ....it suits his speed game better.he is all over the ice now getting off a lot more shots --not just finishing.. he gets more chances because it is as if they have given a thouroghbred his freedom to skate and create and not stick to rigid lanes -this roaming all over the ice also leaves him open for more one-timers..In a sense he is now not cast in the role of providing support to others,but is allowed to use his speed to flow and move as the go to attacker --so he is carrying the puk and getting off shots and he is shedding d-men by roaming all accross the ice from one side to the other and so gets open for one-timers. He simply has been "unfettered" and the result is dazzling even on shifts he doesn't score on ..His spped is now impacting and "effective" as well as greatly entertaining..And with success his confidence has grown to te point he is dominating shifts as defenders are left in the dust.it is very exciting to watch this style.. NHL coaches have fettered far too many players into their rigid "structure"systems -you can't turn speed guys into wall guys ..NYI coaches have figured out that letting Grabner do his thing instead of trying to fit him to a more measured style can have great results. This looser "fun" attack style also seems to have rubbed off on the rest of the team..They are enjoying plying more with aggressive attacking -and the results are coming..so it is a lot more fun,,,Too many NHL coaches with their rigid "systems" are stiffling the fun .
So if you have guys that can skate-LET THEM --don't try turning them into wall players and sit back checkers..ATTACK..ATTACK ..get more shots off - it is exciting hockey to watch -and seems to be getting results now too. When you play cautious hockey hoping for a break to gain a lead then try checking to hold the lead -it stiffles the fun out of games...Let the players who can attack instead with speed -let the opposition chase you around ..don't give them time to block your shots --speed around them to get clear shots off...Grabner can do that with his speed-and it is working!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Hes doing quite well this season moreso than i thought he would.

Solid waiver pickup by Garth.

Funny post. Good to know he's doing better this season than you thought. You mean you didn't have him pegged for 30+ goals?

And I like the use of "solid" in describing Garth using the waiver wire. As if 23 year old rockets who can score 30 goals appear there every other week.

It was a miraculous waiver pickup. One of the best in the history of the NHL.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think Grabner's emergence also came after Scott Gordon was let go. Capuano let's his players have more freedom when it comes to playmaking and creating. I believe 17 of Grabner's 25 goals came after Gordon was let go. He always had the talent, just needed a chance to shine. Once that happened, he gained confidence, and confidence knowing you can succeed in the NHL. Guys like Ovechkin and Crosby have that confidence at age 18, other guys take longer. For instance, former Islander Jason Blake didn't have his first 20 goal season until he was 29 and his only 40 goal season at age 33.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
This entire season has been amazing for him. He was considered a bust for the past few years, now he is a quality top 6 player.

He was never a bust. I've followed him closely since he was drafted (though I was rooting for the consenus BPA at the time - Chris Stewart).

Nonis and company were apparently dismayed that Tlusty was taken just before VCR's pick - and they had to 'settle' for Grabs.

He's always had elite speed and a dangerous shot - but has lacked the hockey sense to be a real offensive force.

Scott Arniel played a big role in teaching him how to expand his game to be smarter defensively and to pounce on chances.

He would have been very good playing alongside Kesler and Raymond this year, but the Canucks added a young top 4 D-man with the deal and still have the #1 offense in the league.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I think Grabner's emergence also came after Scott Gordon was let go. Capuano let's his players have more freedom when it comes to playmaking and creating. I believe 17 of Grabner's 25 goals came after Gordon was let go. He always had the talent, just needed a chance to shine. Once that happened, he gained confidence, and confidence knowing you can succeed in the NHL. Guys like Ovechkin and Crosby have that confidence at age 18, other guys take longer. For instance, former Islander Jason Blake didn't have his first 20 goal season until he was 29 and his only 40 goal season at age 33.

I think this is true as well.

Grabner has always been all about confidence. He's always had a great attitude - which was noted by many. He's matured in the right direction, and IMO will have a long successful career where he could get around 40-20-60 in a career year. He is as streaky as it gets though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad