What happened to Michael Grabner

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
He Got Hot!

Vancouver knew what they were giving up. Florida didn't.

Nothing happened to him. He's always been a one dimensional, speedy, goal scorer. When these type of players are not scoring they are useless. When they are HOT, they can help teams win.

I think it was Florida's mistake to let him go by waivers. You simply don't waive a player that can skate and shoot as well as Grabner. How did Dave Tallon forget that "the new NHL" is made for speedy players? No patience.

Tallon built a cup winning team in Chicago, but I don't think he's on the same path with Florida. Snow had an easy decision, but he's still a smart GM.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I have mixed feelings about Grabner.

I never doubted he would become a scorer in the NHL. He has incredible speed and a very hard, accurate shot. He demonstrated last year that he could generate opportunities at the NHL level when playing with skilled players.

However, the Canucks needed depth on the blue line and Keith Ballard gave us that (well apparently not enough, but that's another post). We gave up a lot for Ballard and Oreskovich, but I still think it was a good value trade.

I also think that part of Mike Gillis' thinking was that with Cody Hodgson, Jannik Hansen, Mason Raymond, Jordon Schroeder and Sergei Shirokov all coming into camp, looking to make the roster, since Grabner was waiver eligible, for him it would be make the team or be lost on waivers (as he was in Florida). With so much depth in front of him, there was a good chance we would lose him to waivers.

In the end, the acquisition of Jeff Tambellini and Bill Sweatt (similar players) somewhat mitigates the loss of Grabner. But i am happy to see Grabner have a break out year. Too bad its in Long Island. Good players seem to get lost there.

Also, Dale Talon must have been on glue to think Grabner would clear waivers. As I understand the negotiations, Tallon insisted on Grabner, so Gillis insisted on Oreskovich. I can't believe Florida lost him for nothing. They have had a string of one sided trades with Vancouver.

Jaffray15

Mar 12, 2008
Winnipeg
www.nhl94.com
As a Manitoba Moose fan who saw A LOT of games that Grabner played in, I always knew he was one of the fastest and great shooters in the AHL.

I was first dissapointed when Vancouver traded him, but could not understand why Florida Waived him, as I KNEW he would be claimed because of how well he played in the AHL.

The Islanders have a great player in Grabner and as long he keeps getting opportunities to play (53 GP out of 57), he will only get better once his Ice Time goes up.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Grabner's defensive assignments aren't as stringent as most wingers. You can tell he's being asked to cheat a bit now that he's paired with two excellent two way forwards in Okposo and Frans Nielsen.

His speed gets him three breakaways per game and even when those passes aren't connecting his ability to spread the defense out allows his linemates to carry the puck up ice pretty easily.

The line has great chemistry.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Nothing happened really; he's just an offensive prospect who went from the most potent offensive team in the league to a rebuilding squad that has no issues giving young guys important ice-time (see spot in standings). He simply could not break onto Vancouver's roster, and the Canucks don't really allow younger players time to establish their game because they're in 'win now' mode. If you're a rookie in the line-up you're there because you're already making an impact (see: Schneider). We couldn't really wait around for Grabner to catch fire, and Vigneault's a bit of an odd-ball when it comes to earning ice-time for younger guys.

I dunno what the hell Florida was thinking though.

Don't make excuses for Vancouver - no team is too deep not to give this kid a chance. Giving up on him was a very shortsighted and stupid move.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Grabner's defensive assignments aren't as stringent as most wingers. You can tell he's being asked to cheat a bit now that he's paired with two excellent two way forwards in Okposo and Frans Nielsen.

His speed gets him three breakaways per game and even when those passes aren't connecting his ability to spread the defense out allows his linemates to carry the puck up ice pretty easily.

The line has great chemistry.

Last year, the Canucks had Raymond, Kesler, Edler and Hansen who have top tier speed and Grabner clearly had another gear that none of these guys have. All Grabner needed was ice time and a play maker who can think the game at top speed.

mazmin

May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Grabner isn't one dimensional. People that say that only watch the highlights.

I've watched his games since his days in the AHL and he's never been a good defensive player. That being said, he improved A LOT in this area. With his speed he can certianly become an excellent defensive player, but he will always cheat towards the offensive zone. As long as he keeps scoring, no one will care about his defensive game, but when he hits a cold streak, he'll see some bench.

mazmin

May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
What did the all star-game did to him?

9g 3p, 12 pts since then.

Bob McKenzie spoke with Grabner recently. Apparently winning the speed competition at the All-Star break boosted his confidence. He also mentioned that the return of Okposo helped.

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
I feel like so many people dont know much about him aside from his stats. The whole first page and most of the other threads have tons of fans saying that he's getting time on our scoring line and he's getting a ton of minutes and because the islanders suck he's getting powerplay minutes. He plays on the PK, would a coach put a defensive liability on the PK. I like how he moves, he's active on the PK. He forces unnecessary passes with his agility. I like the line that we have him on now. If he can be consistant, he will pot 40 next year. All of his goals aren't breakaways. A lot come from him darting between the circles and receiving passes. He's a real threat, Im starting to like how our offense is looking. Im an Isles fan first (Grew up in NY, lived there most of my life) and a Panthers fan second (Now I live in SF). When Grabner was put on waivers, I was PO'd but when he was picked up by the Isles, I was very happy. Dumb move by Tallon, I mean how do you give up on a player after preseason? Teams give prospects chances for years but Tallon gives up on him after a few preseason games? terrible move by the panthers.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Don't make excuses for Vancouver - no team is too deep not to give this kid a chance. Giving up on him was a very shortsighted and stupid move.

The Canucks didn't give up on him. They traded a position they had strength at, in a package for an asset they needed even more.

To make the top 6 in Vancouver, he would have had to displace one of Henrik (Art Ross/Hart Trophy), Daniel (29 goals in 58 games), Burrows (35 goals), Kesler (25 goals, Selke finalist), Samuelsson (30 goals) or Raymond (25 goals). So who gets reduced ice time in his favor?

Would he have been a 25+ goal scorer on the 4th line getting 8 minutes per game with the likes of Aaron Voltatti and Alex Bolduc?

The Canucks got beat 2 years straight in the playoffs by the Blackhawks who were far more physical up front. Our third line, centered by Kyle Wellwood, while defensively solid, was not tough enough. Mike Gillis made it a goal to remake the 3rd line, bigger and tougher to play against. Grabner didn't fit perfectly into that scheme. Knowing that he would have to clear waivers if he didn't make the team out of training camp, Gillis did the Ballard trade.

Florida screwed themselves. The trade ended up being Grabner, Bernier (a salary dump) and 2010 first rounder (Quinton Howden) for Ballard and Victor Oreskovich (who was recently called up to the Canucks). The Canucks were pretty high on Oreskovich because Sam Gagner used to play with him, so Canucks Director of Player Development, Dave Gagner spoke very highly of him.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
The Canucks didn't give up on him. They traded a position they had strength at, in a package for an asset they needed even more.

To make the top 6 in Vancouver, he would have had to displace one of Henrik (Art Ross/Hart Trophy), Daniel (29 goals in 58 games), Burrows (35 goals), Kesler (25 goals, Selke finalist), Samuelsson (30 goals) or Raymond (25 goals). So who gets reduced ice time in his favor?

Would he have been a 25+ goal scorer on the 4th line getting 8 minutes per game with the likes of Aaron Voltatti and Alex Bolduc?

The Canucks got beat 2 years straight in the playoffs by the Blackhawks who were far more physical up front. Our third line, centered by Kyle Wellwood, while defensively solid, was not tough enough. Mike Gillis made it a goal to remake the 3rd line, bigger and tougher to play against. Grabner didn't fit perfectly into that scheme. Knowing that he would have to clear waivers if he didn't make the team out of training camp, Gillis did the Ballard trade.

Florida screwed themselves. The trade ended up being Grabner, Bernier (a salary dump) and 2010 first rounder (Quinton Howden) for Ballard and Victor Oreskovich (who was recently called up to the Canucks). The Canucks were pretty high on Oreskovich because Sam Gagner used to play with him, so Canucks Director of Player Development, Dave Gagner spoke very highly of him.

ok so they didn't give up on him.. just gave him away in a terrible trade

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
ok so they didn't give up on him.. just gave him away in a terrible trade

Please... It was a fair trade...asset for asset. Prospect for proven player. Canucks bolstered their Defense which was needed.

Hindsight is 20/20 and who knows if Grabner would be scoring like this under the Canuck system and the pressure of playing for a Canadian cup contender.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

This isn't fantasy hockey where having the most guys with 25+ goals wins you a championship. The Canucks needed to get better defensively and Grabner would have done little to assist in that. They traded from an area of strength to fix an area of weakness and it looks like they made the right choice as their offense has stayed at the top of the league while their GA/G has gone from 13th last year to 1st this year.

DaMick

at least we got D
Dec 10, 2003
Purgatory
Visit site
Funny post. Good to know he's doing better this season than you thought. You mean you didn't have him pegged for 30+ goals?

And I like the use of "solid" in describing Garth using the waiver wire. As if 23 year old rockets who can score 30 goals appear there every other week.

It was a miraculous waiver pickup. One of the best in the history of the NHL.

I compared him with Ivan Novoseltsev...just slighty better hands.

Hes proven me wrong by a mile...

He was a former 1st rounder so i cant use the word miraculous for his pickup.

Tallon...well ****ed this one up for the Cats.

“I was not surprised [Grabner was claimed], but he didn't have a very good camp and didn't earn a spot on our roster,'' Tallon said.

“I was disappointed with his play. He has a lot of potential but you have to earn your playing time here. Reputation doesn't mean anything to me. It gives an opportunity to someone else. We liked his speed and his skill. He didn't show any skill in camp. He can skate and has skill but didn't show any of it.''
Dale Tallon in the Miami Herald

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flap...ed-by-islanders-cats-raise-165k-for-canc.html

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Tallon's comments makes him sound like a fool. Reputation doesnt mean anything? Is that why he kept useless vets on his team in another effort for Florida to barely miss the playoffs yet again. Actually its sort of hypocritical about the reputation comment seeing as he kept so many stiffs on the roster. You knew Grabner's days were numbered as soon as Higgins was signed. Makes me think Tallon never intended to have Grabner on the NHL roster, just as AHL insurance. Tallon wants a big physical team and most players who dont fit that bill will gradually be weaned off that team.

Mikkel

Aug 9, 2009
I agree with this because he plays a fair bit in Short Handed situations for the Islanders and has a team best +11 plus/minus on the team.

The most impressive thing about Grabner's 63 minutes of SH time this season is that he has only been on the ice for 2 PP goals against.

At the same time he has 3 shorthanded goals by himself.

raygunpk

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Feb 5, 2008
The most impressive thing about Grabner's 63 minutes of SH time this season is that he has only been on the ice for 2 PP goals against.

At the same time he has 3 shorthanded goals by himself.

Very impressive. Wonder who has the best ratio for that stat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->