Post-Game Talk: What grade you give the Canucks TDL moves?

What grade you give the Canucks TDL moves?

• Total voters

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I have it an E.

Hamonic for a 3rd-A+. Getting rid of Hamonic's cap hit for any positive was in my view an exceptional result. I hope for the Senators' sake he rebounds, but even if he does, I like this trade.

Dermott for a 3rd. Wait and See. It isn't obviously good or bad-it depends on how Dermott works out.

Claiming Richardson-F. I suspect it was done with a view to having Richardson replace somebody that ended up not being traded. I don't like using up a roster spot on Richardson that might be useful for a college or European free agent.

Motte for a 4th- C-? C? If that's all they could get, it is a close question whether it is worthwhile bothering with the trade.

Failure to move players; People on here disagree on what players should have been moved. I am of the view (probably not popular here these days) that there are some players it is dangerous to keep-and they include some of the Canucks' very best players.

JT Miller-Look, he won't be worth 7 x $9 million starting in 2023-24 and ending in 2029-30. He also isn't likely to want to offer the Canucks a home-town discount. More likely he'll look for an immediately winning program, probably preferring the east. One thing Larry Brooks wrote that was really unpopular with Canucks fans but imo obviously true was that Miller's value will never be higher than it was before this year's deadline. I know he is a leader and the players look up to him and would be upset with him gone, but does anybody think the 2021-22 Canucks are really going anywhere? Larry Brooks was right. At a trade deadline good players are at a premium, before the draft draft picks are at a premium and in the later offseason values may be ok if a deal can be made, but an acquiring team will have lost out on the benefit of having Miller for the 2022 playoffs when his cap hit doesn't count, a considerable loss to them.

The Miller trade in my view was one of Benning's silliest because the Canucks were never going to be a contender during Miller's contract so him improving them enough to get worse draft picks wasn't in their long term interests, but Miller performed so well the trade had a chance to work. The Canucks got a couple of seasons out of Miller and had the chance at this deadline to get more for him than they gave up and more than they will get for him in the future. The extra playoff run considerably increased his value for this deadline and that won't be there in the future.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I think the Canucks made a serious mistake keeping him this deadline. They may have thought they weren't offered enough, but it is highly unlikely that they'll get more later and pretty much certain that what they were offered was worth more than the 1st and 3rd round picks they paid to acquire him. They may still get a decent package for him later, but it will almost certainly be less than they could have gotten at this deadline.

Brock Boeser-this has been hashed to death. There is a solid risk of losing him for nothing in the summer of 2023 after overpaying to keep him for next season. The playoff run this season would have added some value compared with what he'll get later.

Bo Horvat-He rates to go to unrestricted free agency in a year. His performance against his current contract is pretty good and I don't think he has any intention of signing an extension with the Canucks when he can pick his spot and go to a winning organization. He's been open enough in the past about the effect of losing and that he isn't a young player any more. I think they could have gotten a great return for him this deadline.

There are others that would have been nice to move: Michael Ferland, Tyler Myers, Tucker Poolman, Tanner Pearson, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Jason Dickinson and Jaroslav Halak the obvious ones, but Hamonic was also in that group of players for whom there would be little interest in acquiring their contracts, the returns would be small or negative and with Allvin getting rid of Hamonic's contract it is hard to fault Allvin for failing to pull more rabbits out of his hat.

Then there is another group, the most obvious being Garland and Schenn. There are both performing fine against their contracts, Schenn is old enough that the thought of losing him for nothing in a year isn't a horrible thought and Garland is locked up for several seasons. I don't see much likelihood that an offer for Schenn would have been enough to make moving him worthwhile and am fine keeping Garland.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dab

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Voted C.

In a vacuum, Hamonic for a 3rd was a good trade. Dermott for a 3rd was a solid trade. Motte for a 4th was terrible.

We're basically just shuffled a chair or two for next season.

I don’t know.. Getting nothing for Motte, or signing him to a lucrative contract, would have been terrible. Flipping him for a 4th was certainly passable to me, that was obviously the best draft pick they could get.

Benning was often criticized for not getting something for pending UFAs, at least we did that. I would have preferred to keep the 3rd and not trade for Dermott, but I guess we’ll see how that goes.

Reactions: David71

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I'm not expecting a new roster, but I'm expecting a new regime with 3 months heading into deadline to make more of an impact on an underperforming, overpaid roster than swapping Hamonic for Dermott.

Sometimes it’s best to not make snap decisions just to do something… Give this regime an off-season to structure this team, it’s very possible that the deals weren’t there and they didn’t want to waste their trade chips.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Not buying at TDL. Admitting we are not a playoff team this year. Not giving away draft choices to bring in a guy heading into UFA next summer / an overpriced rental for 18 games.

I like it.

A+

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Im in the "need more information camp"

Hamonic trade was obviously a home run.

I dont like the idea (age gap PTSD) behind the Dermott trade, however I gotta say every time I have seen Dermott play I have noticed him positiviley. If he is the player he looks like, well have a young guy with team control getting paid what a 5-6 D man should be getting paid.

Im not so fussed about the motte trade like everyone else? Like, are we assuming there were higher bidders? Do we know that? Would we have rather 1.) let him go for nothing or 2.) signed him to a ufa deal that will burn us down the road? Did I expect motte to get a third? yes. I still think this is a good trade in spite of the return being underwhelming. Which brings me to my next point:

we just came from a management group that once they got something in their head they would bleed assets to make it happen. If the opportunities regarding the garland/boeser/miller were all underwhelming returns, im good with it?

Im happy we didn't trade Brock Boeser today for kasperi kappanen and a pick between 20 and 30 in next years draft, or a middling prospect.

Im glad we didn't trade JT miller for Nils Lundqvist and a late first.

Im assuming that if those trades happened today, the return wouldn't been anything that would have been exciting (see motte trade), but I could be wrong.

It was too quiet for my liking, but I will reserve judgement until training camp next year. There is still a lot of time to do major reconstruction on this roster, the trade deadline was really for motte only. and if its not done by training camp next year then we have serious problems.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I mean I guess wait n see til the summer and see what else happens.

-I think i was fooling myself thinking Miller would go when management made it clear they were not gonna move him
-I thought Brock Boeser should be considered a UFA as no team will pay him his QO, and there was no movement there
-The Motte Clamato trade seems UNDER whelming but I believe it was probably the best we could get for him, which is better than holding onto him and Beagling him
-Not trading Schenn I am ok with
-Getting anything for Hamonic without retaining is great
-I feel the 3rd for Dermott was too much but not significantly

We all wanted fireworks but did not get that. We waited for 4 months with the new regime expecting it and it didnt happen. I think I will be patient and give them the offseason to show what they are up to, but there sure seems to be a lotta patience asked of us fans, which you know, we are kind of nuts so not sure how much longer the fans will be patient for after 8 years of the ruining and destruction of our team by the previous regime

Reactions: mathonwy

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I gave them a B only because I couldn't give a C+. I wish we had done more, but if the value wasn't there I'm fine with what we did. Overall the impression I got today was that prices weren't likely as high as we thought from the previous week and a half.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
OEL is going nowhere. The only way we're dumping that contract is through a buyout or if he LTIRetires. Rating the deadline on lack of moving him is funny.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I gave a C.

That was based on my interpretation of the letter grades:
A = excellent
B = very good
C = satisfactory
D = minimally acceptable
E = unacceptable
F = wait, I thought Benning had been fired

The Canucks gained Dermott, a 4th rounder, and $1.5M in cap space while giving up Hamonic and Motte. At this point, the swap of third rounders is basically a wash. Dealing Motte was pretty much mandatory to earn a C, so mission accomplished there, but let's face it: the return is underwhelming.

Nothing else happened to elevate JR/PA's grade. I don't see how anyone can give a B without the Canucks shedding at least one more of the many deadweight contracts Benning has saddled the team with.

If Dermott turns into a legit top 4 dman while still an RFA, I may change my vote.

*Edit: Forgot to add, the Canucks are still in a pick deficit for the upcoming draft, which is a disappointment.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Im in the "need more information camp"

Hamonic trade was obviously a home run.

I dont like the idea (age gap PTSD) behind the Dermott trade, however I gotta say every time I have seen Dermott play I have noticed him positiviley. If he is the player he looks like, well have a young guy with team control getting paid what a 5-6 D man should be getting paid.

Im not so fussed about the motte trade like everyone else? Like, are we assuming there were higher bidders? Do we know that? Would we have rather 1.) let him go for nothing or 2.) signed him to a ufa deal that will burn us down the road? Did I expect motte to get a third? yes. I still think this is a good trade in spite of the return being underwhelming. Which brings me to my next point:

we just came from a management group that once they got something in their head they would bleed assets to make it happen. If the opportunities regarding the garland/boeser/miller were all underwhelming returns, im good with it?

Im happy we didn't trade Brock Boeser today for kasperi kappanen and a pick between 20 and 30 in next years draft, or a middling prospect.

Im glad we didn't trade JT miller for Nils Lundqvist and a late first.

Im assuming that if those trades happened today, the return wouldn't been anything that would have been exciting (see motte trade), but I could be wrong.

It was too quiet for my liking, but I will reserve judgement until training camp next year. There is still a lot of time to do major reconstruction on this roster, the trade deadline was really for motte only. and if its not done by training camp next year then we have serious problems.

The Canucks are the same team with the same amount of futures coming out of the deadline as they were going in. JR needs a big off season or we are just on repeat at next years deadline, with a lot more panic.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Hamonic being moved was the only positive. And this was all cap space and my personal feelings on the player.

Richardson on waivers was the only other thing done close to a positive rating. A waiver pick up isn't a big win though.

Motte was undersold, I feel, and a 4th round pick doesn't really do much for me, considering we haven't redone our scouting staff yet.

That being said, I'd much rather have kept the third round pick we gave up for Dermott. Much rather. And as stated, I don't value draft picks very highly.

We have big name players that we held on to. Not a horrible thing as Boeser is RFA and Halak is nigh unmovable, and the others are signed long term. But inexpensive players performing well got assets, and almost all of the forwards traded are a tier or two below who we could offer.

We didn't move enough bad contracts, Hamonic aside, and while cheaper, Dermott is eats up a half of what we saved.

We didn't fix our defense. We did get younger and a tiny bit cheaper, but we still have Hughes, Schenn, OEL, Myers, Poolman and Burroughs as regulars, and a revolving door behind them. I hope Dermott can out play Poolman(when healthy) and get into the top six, but I just don't like Dermott's game.

We didn't get faster or more skilled, as was the earlier mission statement from Rutherford.

The sum of everything is that we got slightly worse on ice, fight me if you disagree, and we got a 4th round pick out of the deal. Our 3rd versus Winnipeg's is a crapshoot at this point, a spot or two at best. We didn't do anything. We didn't commit to a rebuild or to try to make the playoffs (not that I think the latter is prudent), and while we didn't give up the fourth round pick like we might have under Benning, I suspect we're going to see a similar team composition come the start of next season. A difference of +/- a fourth round pick doesn't instill me with confidence in our new braintrust. They said they had finished their evaluation, threw the welcome mat out, and now we wait for the draft, I guess.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Voted C but it's more like C+.

Happy with the aggregate value on the day (Hamonic + Motte for Dermott + 4th + cap) but after 3 months of hype, fair to say it was disappointing.

Considering what Hagel garnered for being cost-controlled for multiple years, really would be interesting to know what kind of offers we could have got on Miller or Horvat @ 50%.

Hopefully when these deals go down in the summer they don't reek of "sigh, probably were offered more at the deadline."

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Voted C but it's more like C+.

Happy with the aggregate value on the day (Hamonic + Motte for Dermott + 4th + cap) but after 3 months of hype, fair to say it was disappointing.

Considering what Hagel garnered for being cost-controlled for multiple years, really would be interesting to know what kind of offers we could have got on Miller or Horvat @ 50%.

Hopefully when these deals go down in the summer they don't reek of "sigh, probably were offered more at the deadline."

Agreed. The amount of Hype and the amount of people inside that front office resulted in just these underwhelming moves.

Give me 4 Canuck HFboard members to run the trade deadline any day, at least it'll be more entertaining.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
give them a C. cap strapped team thanks to benning. but give this mangement team a chance to see what they can do in the off-season to bring that grade up to a respectable B or A. most of this mess is all on benning. for the past 8 years. so nothing the new management can do.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The people who dont like the Motte trade.

I mean it was the most that was offered.

They talked about an extension and could not agree...which means he was 100% going to leave as a UFA.

Now for people who say that they would rather keep him... for what playoff run?

We don't need Tyler Motte for 1.5 more months of meaningless hockey. You trade him to the highest bidder.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I gave it a C. At least we didn't make any Forsling for Clendenning moves. Vey for seconds, or failed to move UFAs.

I prefer underwhelming to stupidity. And this deadline was underwhelming.

We did gain a draft pick, which is a miracle after years of losing them.

If Dermott is coachable, he could have a lot of untapped potential. At least he has a toolbox so he could be moved down the road if its obvious he is not going to be anything more than a 6th dman.

Feb 19, 2018
D

They should have just stopped at the Hamonic move and kept the extra 3rd. Dermott is the type of player you can get for free as a UFA in the off-season, giving up a 3rd and eating $1.5 of the $3 million we acquired from the Hamonic trade. Tyler Motte shouldn’t have been let go for a 4th rounder, at $1.25 and set to become a UFA he was the least of our worries. I heard Myers and Pearson weren’t even asked to waive their no trade clause, we should have packaged that 3rd in the Hamonic trade and added it to a player in order to shed more cap space.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The people who dont like the Motte trade.

I mean it was the most that was offered.

They talked about an extension and could not agree...which means he was 100% going to leave as a UFA.

Now for people who say that they would rather keep him... for what playoff run?

We don't need Tyler Motte for 1.5 more months of meaningless hockey. You trade him to the highest bidder.

How do you know that?

edit. I just now realised I put E in there as an option. Im an idiot. :DD

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Well...we got younger. Check...and we saved some cap space. Check. But we could have saved more and stayed even younger if we didn't trade for Dermott. Motte? Well obviously I think everyone thought he was worth more than a 4th, but the market said otherwise...love me some Motte, but I don't love him at $2+m/yr with trade protection...so it is what it is and all we get is a 4th...so be it. Gave them a C grade, but I still don't have a good feel for what their goals are...are they trying to trade Miller, or re-sign him? Do they really want to move Garland or Boeser? I guess they are preaching some patience, and I'm ok giving them until after draft, but I'd like to have a good idea what the organizational direction is by then.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Ownership still has their meddling hands all over this team. That's what I got from this TDL. The Canucks are not making the playoffs this season but they foolishly stood pat like they have for the last 7 or 8 seasons thinking there is a chance. This is a lame duck season. The fans would've stomachached a mini rebuild. They should have capitalized and moved assets now while they have the most value. They should have sacrificed now and thought about the future.

Ownership has no long term goals and they are not committed to winning anything. The only bright side is that they fired the worst GM in their history. It's not enough.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I doubt JR took this job without the guarantee of autonomy... and I doubt ownership is stupid enough to go back on that 3 months in.

Trading Motte and even Hamonic to an extent is a pretty clear message to the market that they don't expect to make the playoffs.

I don't think they had a slow deadline because they are still going for it, I just don't think they liked the offers. It's possible they didn't push hard enough or were not creative enough but it's impossible to know that.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I'm not buying the 'ownership meddling' line.
I suspect if there was serious interference from Aquillini, JR is at the point in his career where he has enough credibility and clout (and career earnings) to say 'screw this and screw you' and walk.
What a PR nightmare if the new president exited in that way.
He knows it. Frankie knows it.
I don't believe ownership will be handcuffing hockey ops in any way as long as JR is there to manage upwards, as they say.
Very few people climb the corporate ladder with a “screw the boss” mentality. Many, if not most people climb the corporate ladder by doing what the boss/owner wants. It’s engrained in corporate culture.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: